Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Easy way to put FP iMac to sleep?

Easy way to put FP iMac to sleep?
TomHMeredith
Forum Regular
Sep 4, 2002, 06:02 AM

Question:

I have a FP iMac, which is gorgeous, except for the placement of the power button! When i leave my computer I log out, and like to put the computer to sleep. However, there is no sleep button, so I have to reach around the back of the machine to press the power button.

Does anyone know of an easier way? I remember in OS9 you used to be able to set the finction keys to do certain things, is this possible in 10.2, as I can't see the option in System Prefs. If I could, would an Apple script work, and would it still work when I logged out?

And help much appreciated.

Tom.
What are you looking for? A signature?

Vanquish
Sep 4, 2002, 06:50 AM

Apple menu ?

thirsty
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2002, 07:14 AM

Click on the apple menu.

Click on Sleep!

goodnight.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2002, 07:27 AM

He wants something that will work when he logs out. So the Apple menu is out.

My thoughts:

* Does command-Eject present a sleep/shutdown/restart dialog at the login screen?
* Someone (me) could write a little app that runs as root and presents a little sleep button.
* Man, why the hell doesn't Apple put a "Sleep" button on the login screen? How often do we want to Restart the machine vs. Sleep? Grrr.

JohnD
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2002, 07:38 AM

If your hold the CTRL button and push the eject button you get the restart/sleep/cancel/shutdown dialog press S and the machine goed to sleep, enter to shutdown or R to restart

TomHMeredith  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 4, 2002, 08:02 AM

Thanks for your help everyone, much appreciated.

Of course, the easiest way would have been for Apple to put a power button on the keyboard, or on the front of the machine.

Maybe the sleep light could have doubled as a power button, like the old iMac...

Tom.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2002, 08:11 AM

I think the easiest way is to just leave it alone--walk away. It will automatically go to sleep. My Energy Saver is set to sleep in 20 minutes. That's reasonable.

Chris

ntsc
Senior User
Sep 4, 2002, 12:28 PM

I still think that the issue of the lack of a sleep button on the Login panel is a serious issue. Apple has made it quite clear that they are very interested in everyone just Sleeping their machines rather than shutting them down, yet they give us only the Shut Down and Restart commands on the login panel. Bit stupid don't you think?
"You can't waste a life hating people, because all they do is live their life, laughing, doing more evil."

-ALPHA ROBERTSON,whose daughter was one of four girls killed in the bombing of a Birmingham, Ala., church in 1963.

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 4, 2002, 02:55 PM

Command-Option-Eject = Sleep

This is almost as instantaneous as pulling the power plug on my dual 450.

TomHMeredith  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 4, 2002, 05:31 PM

chabig

I would just elave it alone, however, I often download large files, and don't want the computer going to sleep while this is happening, but I also don't want to be at the machine to watch it download.

Maybe I'm just been greedy, wanting everything! lol

Mithras, a little app would be very good, I'm sure almost everyone would install it. You should write it, keep the copyright on the idea, and charge Apple for implementing it on future releases. (Cant you copyright ideas?) oh well.

Tom.

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2002, 05:46 PM

[OT]

TomHMeredith...regarding your claim of the slowest internet connection in the world:

Your ISP uses RFC 1149???

I knew that it had been implemented I just didn't know anyone actually used it!
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2002, 06:56 PM

Originally posted by dfiler:
Command-Option-Eject = Sleep

This is almost as instantaneous as pulling the power plug on my dual 450.
Ditto that on my G4 FS iMac.

TomHMeredith  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2002, 03:45 AM

Update: The command-option-eject key does not work if you have System Preferences to disable the restart and shutdown buttons.

Kristoff, I live in the middle of the countryside, about 5 miles from the nearest main road. To save BT some money they 'split' the phone lines, so we pay for two lines (phone + internet) but actually only get one 'real' line to the exchange, which is numerous miles away. We also have 'Red-Care' on the internet phone line (it lets the police know if the alarm goes off), which I suspect doesnt help. This all results in me getting a maximum download speed of about 2kb/sec. If anyone has one slower than this, let me know and I will duly update my signature.

Tom.

Forum Links
Forum Rules