Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.1.5 and anything under 9.2.2 will NOT install on new G4s

10.1.5 and anything under 9.2.2 will NOT install on new G4s
iAdmin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2002, 01:43 AM

I am referring to the new DDR powermacs.

Do not think of running 10.1.5 on the new G4s. So if you have an existing version that you need to use, you are Out of luck. Especially for all those who put down a grand on OS X 10.1 server.I guess Apple wants to screw you and FORCE you to upgrade to 10.2 server in this case.

If anyone has gotten 10.1.5 to intall on the nwe DDR Powermacs, please tell me. Using retail CD of 10.1

Apple's official tech response is that it is unsupported and it will not work.

Nothing before 9.2.2 will install either.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2002, 01:50 AM

You're new to the Macintosh! Welcome!

Apple has NEVER supported old versions of the operating system on newer machines. Otherwise, old versions of the OS would never die out. Apple should not need to still support System 7.5. Somehow, though, Microsoft and software makers are still supporting Windows 95, which was released before System 7.5. Apple is a little smarter. If you need the old OS, don't upgrade. It's always been this way.

A possibility that's always been around: find the drivers that run the new system and install them into the old one. It's unsupported and possibly will not work at all, but it's always worth a shot. Otherwise, 10.1.5 does not know these machines exist (so they don't boot).

The public beta will not boot on my G4 digital audio either.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

iAdmin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2002, 01:55 AM

however, it really, really hurts when you drop a few grand on OS X 10.1 server and you can't use it. It also hurts that you have to pay full pop for the upgrade. Thats 5 grand for five server upgrades. They like to punish the people who are most loyal with their pocket books - the early adopters..

People complaining about $129 OS X workstation upgrade. Start crying when you have to upgrade server.. It cost more than MS to upgrade.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2002, 02:04 AM

Very true. Just make sure that Apple hears the complaint. Otherwise, they think they are making money off of it.

In addition, I would expect that a company that needs 5 unlimited servers could easily afford the upgrade. Also, a company paying for 5 new machines would have likely gotten 5 server machines instead of standard machines, as bundling 10.2 server on the machines would have been cheaper than upgrading seperately.

Apple would expect this. So, unless they hear otherwise, it probably won't change. (They may offer an upgrade at a later date)
( Last edited by Detrius; Sep 5, 2002 at 02:11 AM. )
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules