Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Not Bad... Finer Moments in Gas Station Dining

Not Bad... Finer Moments in Gas Station Dining
subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2019, 03:07 PM

mindwaves
Nov 19, 2019, 09:22 PM

Just seasoning only and no actual pickle inside?

I'm fond of twinkies, snowballs, and Hostess cupcakes myself. Occasionally will grab a back of Fritos or Cheetos.

andi*pandi
Nov 20, 2019, 01:32 PM

A slim jim is a quasi-dried-meat stick. I can't imagine a pickle flavored one. Then, I haven't had a slim jim in decades.

A bag of mixed nuts seems a safer protein fix, unless the gas station is also one of those small town gas-coffee-deli-pizza combo shops, then an Italian sub is in order. For road trips, I used to love little debbie oatmeal sandwich cookies - those and a bottle of coke would keep me awake.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2019, 05:50 PM

Well, it’s a Slim Jim. Safety’s been forsaken.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2019, 06:48 PM

To fill in some vital details.

It was from a 7-11.

It’s really more dill than pickle. I heart dill.

Little Debbie > Hostess.

andi*pandi
Nov 20, 2019, 06:57 PM

A 7-11 is just a Cumbie's without the gas.

I recall being really confused when I moved to the Big City, and there were all these quick marts that... just sold gas station snacks but not gas, but weren't quite grocery stores. Christy's, 7-11, etc.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 20, 2019, 09:16 PM

Around here, 7-11 has reemerged and is pairing with gas station chains. Primarily it's Valero, but Valero has Circle K as well as another one or two convenience brands.

We've recently had Quick Trip gas/convenience stores pop up, building new facilities in what appear to be competitive locations. They have more of a large truck stop vibe than a convenience store/"stop and rob" feeling, and none of them seems to have a problem with not enough attention to the property or floors, etc. I've seen a spill or two, but only because an employee was cleaning it up already. Oh, and on-topic, they have a pretty impressive soft drink selection and a truck stop-like junk food offering too. Like a display of what looked like a dozen or so varieties of Slim Jim. (There appear to be about 25 varieties.)

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2019, 10:48 AM

Chicago used to be a White Hen Pantry town, with 7-11 as a secondary player. Somehow that inverted, and then 7-11 bought out WHP.

Are there still Store 24s in Boston?

Thorzdad
Nov 21, 2019, 02:42 PM

GetGo has made a huge push into the central Indiana area. In addition to building their own stores, they bought out Rickers (a regional chain) a couple years ago, which put them at a ton of interstate exits right away.

andi*pandi
Nov 21, 2019, 03:10 PM

I haven't seen a Store 2-4 in a long time... but I am in the burbs now, where gas stations are gas stations and grocery stores sell fresh vegetables.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2020, 02:33 AM

I’d say they’re oil flavored.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 11, 2020, 05:23 PM

Mexican Funyuns?

Brien
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2020, 11:58 PM

Sour Patch Chips Ahoy. Okay.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 12, 2020, 09:25 AM

I bought a box of Sour Patch Kids cereal, only like 25% as a joke.

Tastes like tangy fruit loops. Kids loved 'em. Wife hated 'em.

andi*pandi
Feb 12, 2020, 01:26 PM

Sour patch kids cereal?!? My kids would try those. Heck, I would. If too sweet for cereal, then make marshmallow treats out of them.

Then visit the dentist.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2020, 02:13 PM

Speaking of gas station food, I swear by the doughnuts they make at Casey's, which is primarily a midwest chain. They're actually made in-house, unlike most Dunkin Donuts or other gas stations that truck in a shipping container of stale dough rings. The cake doughnuts are fantastic - the slightest bit of crispy outside and a nice dense inside. Maple frosting for sure, sprinkles optional. People also love their pizza, and especially their breakfast pizza. I think their cookies are good, too, as long as they're not overcooked.

There's one place near me that tends to undercook everything - I only get cookies there, not doughnuts. Perfect for extra soft fall-apart cookies, but the doughnuts end up mushy. The other place that slightly overcooks everything is perfect for doughnuts - you get the nice crisp skin but soft inside. But their cookies end up being overdone and crunchy, which is horrible.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2020, 10:20 PM

Had a Big Donut versus Mom & Pop deathmatch a couple weeks back.

Donuts and Holes, all government issue glazed.

Mom & Pop was noticeably fresher, and used better ingredients, but too dense. Even though it was crummier, the lightness made me go with Big Donut.

Holes from both parties sucked.

I think Mom & Pop would do better with a different variety of donut.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2020, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Mexican Funyuns?
Basically, but just the F, no unyun.

Or giant, oily, Mexican Cheerios.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2020, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Donuts and Holes, all government issue glazed.

Mom & Pop was noticeably fresher, and used better ingredients, but too dense. Even though it was crummier, the lightness made me go with Big Donut.
Not sure what the non-cake doughnuts are called, but they're all garbage no matter who makes them. I'm addicted to sugar and snacks and eating constantly and it's to the point where I won't even bother picking up a free non-cake doughtnut from the box at work.

Krispy Kreme are unique melt-in-your-mouth, except their glaze creates a giant mess. My old work chair looked like it had jizz all over the crotch area from the white KK glaze flaking off and embedding itself in the fabric.

Thorzdad
Feb 13, 2020, 01:09 PM

Not sure what the non-cake doughnuts are called...
Traditionally, they're called "yeast" donuts.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2020, 01:25 PM

My old work chair looked like it had jizz all over the crotch area from the white KK glaze flaking off and embedding itself in the fabric.
That’s how baby donuts are made.

I’m generally the opposite. Cake donut is too cake-like, and I’m not a fan of cake.

I used to say “pie >>> cake”, which I still believe is true, but have realized very few people can make a good pie. Getting the crust right seems to be the issue.

Next time you’re in Chicago, check out a Stan’s Donuts. Even their regular donuts are cakey.

KK is my favorite all around, but there aren’t any* around here anymore. They were all shuttered when KK overextended themselves in the late 90s.

*They’re supposedly opening one again... without a kitchen. Booooooooo! Hisssssssss!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2020, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Traditionally, they're called "yeast" donuts.
How appetizing.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2020, 03:16 PM

Pls no fungus-shame. K thx

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 13, 2020, 07:59 PM

I’m picky about doughnuts. Enough so that I actually fully spell the thing.

I am mildly entertained by basic cake doughnuts, but without glaze or other toppings or coatings. On the other hand, “old fashioned” doughnuts are the cat’s pajamas for me. These are a form of cake doughnut with a tapered edge that usually cracks at the perimeter.

Again, I prefer these doughnuts unadorned with coatings or toppings.

andi*pandi
Feb 14, 2020, 09:13 AM

Those are some odd shaped donuts but I'd be willing to try them for the sake of scientific discovery.

I recall back when Dunkin had the Dunkin donut, with a little handle so you wouldn't get your fingers wet. Now they still make an old-fashioned but it's not the same. The dunkin was a bit more like your top left in texture, if not quite so hub-like.

We have a local bakery Linda's that does up combos right, if maple bacon is your thing, but they don't seem internet savvy.

This just opened this year and is making good use of the pun, I have to try them:
https://www.massholedonuts.com/

This link made me hungry: https://theholydonut.com/

If we're not careful we'll need a whole donut thread.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2020, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I’m picky about doughnuts. Enough so that I actually fully spell the thing.

I am mildly entertained by basic cake doughnuts, but without glaze or other toppings or coatings. On the other hand, “old fashioned” doughnuts are the cat’s pajamas for me. These are a form of cake doughnut with a tapered edge that usually cracks at the perimeter.

Again, I prefer these doughnuts unadorned with coatings or toppings.
I can definitely do those - if I'm forced to eat doughnuts from someplace generic that only has yeast infections doughnuts these are usually my saving grace. Also sometimes called Sour Cream doughnuts.

andi*pandi
Feb 14, 2020, 11:23 AM

last year on a road trip in toronto my friend made us stop for tim hortons sour cream donuts. We actually went to 2 looking for them. They were... ok?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2020, 02:39 PM

The place where I found the dill Slim Jims suddenly had these...

Which are well past “not bad”, and onto “fantastic”. I know I’ve raved about them before.

Thorzdad
Feb 14, 2020, 04:51 PM

Voodoo? So...hot and spicy?

reader50
Administrator
Feb 14, 2020, 06:54 PM

If you're going to raise the dead, you need hot and spicy. Mild ranch doesn't cut it.

I love Zapps Jalapeno. But it's not stocked on the west coast. Very occasionally, I'll order a case.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2020, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Voodoo? So...hot and spicy?
Not mild, but less spicy than you’d think. It’s mainly a vinegar BBQ deal.

Edit: their Crawtators are excellent as well.
( Last edited by subego; Feb 14, 2020 at 08:31 PM. )

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2020, 10:34 PM

I should mention these are all under the banner of the Utz brand, which makes a fine chip in general. Much better than Vitner’s, which is our local brand.

I don’t know if the recipe has changed, but Grandma Utz’s Kettle Chips are made the old-fashioned way... with goddamn lard.

So good.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2020, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
If you're going to raise the dead, you need hot and spicy. Mild ranch doesn't cut it.

I love Zapps Jalapeno. But it's not stocked on the west coast. Very occasionally, I'll order a case.
I’ve seen them as close as Vegas.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2020, 12:50 PM

Turns out these are bad.

Polish, giant corn puffs.

Tastes just like a biodegradable packing peanut.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 8, 2020, 01:28 PM

How can they be bad? They're gluten free!

;D

Honestly, for me corn puffs are either a cheese-flavored powder delivery device or just lightly dusted biopeanuts. Unless the powder is worth my time (hardly ever), even most Cheetos aren't worth the trouble for me to wash the stuff off of my hands.

The same is generally true of "ranch flavored" chips/puffs/etc., but "sour cream and chive flavored" whatever can be a different story. Sometimes. And salt and vinegar whatever is usually worthy. Usually

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2020, 01:35 PM

Some non-cheese puffs have a butter flavor going on, which makes them edible. Vintner’s version is actually pretty good.

These looked really greasy, so I was hoping, but they’re bad enough I’m not going to finish the bag.

Oh... there are some Middle Eastern peanut butter flavored wheat puffs which are good.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2020, 09:06 AM

Jumping back to the doughnut discussion - since we're unable to go out and get doughnuts, I decided to try my hand at making them. I went with this recipe. I mixed up the dough right before supper and let it sit while we ate before actually forming the doughnuts - slight mistake. It got gooier and stickier the longer it sat, so it was quite a feat to manipulate it after dinner, but I got it done. The pastry bag worked well for forming the rings. I should have take a picture of the formed doughnuts, they looked surprisingly legit.

I cooked them one at a time in veggie oil, the house smelled like battered fish. For frosting, I mixed butter, powdered sugar, and maple syrup. To bulk it up a bit I added heavy cream and more powdered sugar. Three drops of food coloring gave it a nice pink color, which the 2 yo was pleased with. I put the frosting in another saucepan on the stovetop at a very low temperature. After the doughnuts cooled a bit, I put them into the frosting face down and swirled them around a bit to get good coverage.

Turned out tasty. A bit more crumbly than the cake doughnuts I'm used to, but good texture. Next time I'll definitely leave out the nutmeg. Its flavor leads pretty hard and isn't really needed with the sweetness of frosting.

2 yo approved.

andi*pandi
Mar 25, 2020, 10:44 AM

nice! I have not baked anything desserty lately.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 25, 2020, 12:20 PM

Donut shops might still deliver. Restaurants in CA can be open with delivery (or drive-thru), and most donut shops have dining rooms. Which technically makes them restaurants.

Edit: at least one Los Angeles theater has decided to stay in business by selling curbside popcorn. If you want salty popcorn intended to sell overpriced drinks, I'm sure they'll have the overpriced drinks too. You can get the full theater experience without leaving your car. Come to think of it, drive-in theaters would be safe to open. Popcorn & drinks delivered by employees wearing gloves.
( Last edited by reader50; Mar 25, 2020 at 01:17 PM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 25, 2020, 08:15 PM

Laminar, don’t be hard on yourself for that minor goof. My wife, who has baked for a long time, accidentally used “spreadable” butter when making chocolate chip cookies today. They put a little canola oil in the butter so it’ll spread easier. It also essentially doubles the amount of fat/oil in the recipe, so the cookies are really flat. They are tasty, but the flatness means they’re also kinda dry. Not at all like the “better than Famous Amos” cookies she usually bakes.

Brien
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2020, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I should mention these are all under the banner of the Utz brand, which makes a fine chip in general. Much better than Vitner’s, which is our local brand.

I don’t know if the recipe has changed, but Grandma Utz’s Kettle Chips are made the old-fashioned way... with goddamn lard.

So good.
They also own Boulder Chip Co., which makes the best (malt) vinegar and sea salt chips I’ve ever had.

Thorzdad
Mar 26, 2020, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
nice! I have not baked anything desserty lately.
I've been making a batch of biscotti about once every week-and-a-half or so. The last batch was chocolate hazelnut. It's not exactly dessert, though.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2020, 10:55 AM

I made a batch of pecan cookies with caramelized brown sugar frosting yesterday. I swear between the beer and the baked goods I'm going to come out of this quarantine 20lbs heavier.

Forum Links
Forum Rules