Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Memory upgrade for a Mac with Linux

Memory upgrade for a Mac with Linux
Mac Hammer Fan
Forum Regular
Apr 4, 2006, 07:41 AM

hi,
I installed Ubuntu on an Imac G 350 and now I want to add more RAM (320>512)
I know there is a partitition for swap virtual memory of 320 MB. How do I resize it?
Do I have to install the whole system again?
TIA

Of course, I am running Panther and Tiger on my other Macs. But it's nice to have another system too.
MacPro SixCore 3.33 Westmere - MacBook SR 2.2 Ghz - PowerMac Dual G5 2.3
Besides Macs, I love Gothic Horror Films

Detrius
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2006, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mac Hammer Fan
hi,
I installed Ubuntu on an Imac G 350 and now I want to add more RAM (320>512)
I know there is a partitition for swap virtual memory of 320 MB. How do I resize it?
Do I have to install the whole system again?
TIA

Of course, I am running Panther and Tiger on my other Macs. But it's nice to have another system too.

Unless you can find a utility to resize your other linux volumes, you will have to repartition to increase the size of your swap volume... unless you have another drive to repartition.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Mac Hammer Fan  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2006, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by Detrius
Unless you can find a utility to resize your other linux volumes, you will have to repartition to increase the size of your swap volume... unless you have another drive to repartition.
I haven't resized the swap partition yet and installed the additional memory.
It seems to work for now. I'll see in the following days....

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2006, 01:33 AM

I would just leave it as is. I have 1.25 GB on my PowerBook and Ubuntu rarely if ever uses the swap.

Mac Hammer Fan  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2006, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by alphasubzero949
I would just leave it as is. I have 1.25 GB on my PowerBook and Ubuntu rarely if ever uses the swap.
Thanks for your advice
However, due to a lot of incompatibility problems (no Airport, no ethernet printer, no ATI Radeon video acceleration, etc...), I removed Linux and re-installed the best OS:
unbeatable...

Mac OSX

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2006, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mac Hammer Fan
Thanks for your advice
However, due to a lot of incompatibility problems (no Airport, no ethernet printer, no ATI Radeon video acceleration, etc...), I removed Linux and re-installed the best OS:
unbeatable...

Mac OSX
Airport? You need fwcutter which will extract the necessary firmware components. I have wireless access, albeit it is not 100% reliable (sleeping or changing networks will force you to reboot to get any connection back). This is not Ubuntu's fault but rather Broadcom's because they refuse to release the specs of their chipset (also used by Apple for their Airport Extreme).

Ethernet printer is a shot in the dark. Doesn't work for me because my printer is too new but worked well with an older Epson.

Can't help you with your video acceleration issues.

OS X is great because it works as designed for Apple hardware, but I would hardly call it the 'best OS.' Ubuntu mops X all over the floor in the performance department. Still, I kept my machine a dual-boot for the times I do need to boot back into X or use MOL for something quick.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Forum Links
Forum Rules