Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Quicktime 6 (and 5) & 800 iMac

Quicktime 6 (and 5) & 800 iMac
Frumpy
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 22, 2002, 09:09 AM

Well, as far back as i can remember, i haven't been able to get Quicktime 5 or 6 to work as a streaming device in OS X. OS 9 works just fine. If i want to watch one of the "hot picks" on Apple's website, or an old Macworld keynote, OS 9 is where i have to go. Does anyone have any idea WHY i can't get my Quicktime 5 or 6 to stream in OS X?

P.S. Quicktime 5 and 6 work fine to watch things like movie trailers, but streaming is the big problem.

Thanks!
Specs:12" PowerBook-1.33GHz, 768 PC2700, Airport Express, Panther (10.3.9), iSight, 15GB 3G iPod

Commodus
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2002, 10:12 AM

Do you know if you have any firewalls enabled? I don't use OSX myself, but I believe OSX may have firewall elements where OS9 doesn't. You may also want to see if you can ensure that Quicktime isn't using any unneeded proxies and knows how it connects to streaming videos.

You've probably already checked this, of course, but I thought I'd suggest it. It definitely sounds like an issue specific to Quicktime as it's installed in OSX.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2002, 05:54 PM

Go to your control panel is OSX. Go the Quicktime Preference Pain, then to the Connection Tab. Then press the "Transport Setup" button and then press the "Auto Configure" button. That might help with streaming.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

Forum Links
Forum Rules