Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Microsoft and Adobe folders in "Documents"

Microsoft and Adobe folders in "Documents"
tritonus
Senior User
May 29, 2003, 04:02 AM

I hate it when apps generate folders in my "Documents". How can I get rid of:

a) "Microsoft user data" folder from Office X
b) "eBooks" folder from Adobe Reader 6.0

If I delete them, they re-appear when I use the program the next time. So I need another solution, please.
SwitCHerland, Europe
17" PowerBook 1GHz | WaterField SleeveCase | LaCie d2 250GB | AirPort Extreme BS, AirPort Express | iPod photo 60GB

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
May 29, 2003, 07:49 AM

Microsoft user data contains alot of the preferences and addressbook and email info for your office program, don't delte it, and no I don't think there is anything you can do about it.

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
May 29, 2003, 08:07 AM

and what if you only use word and excel?
Preferences and stuff should be kept in a sub directory of Library.

tritonus  (op)
Senior User
May 29, 2003, 08:27 AM

Originally posted by Sharky K.:
and what if you only use word and excel?
Preferences and stuff should be kept in a sub directory of Library.
I don't use Entourage. Even with Word and Excel, the folder is created.

Exactly, Library should be the place. Maybe move it there?
SwitCHerland, Europe
17" PowerBook 1GHz | WaterField SleeveCase | LaCie d2 250GB | AirPort Extreme BS, AirPort Express | iPod photo 60GB

sandsl
Senior User
May 29, 2003, 08:28 AM

Maybe move it there?
You can move the folder where ever you want, the point is as soon as the application can't find them in the set position (documents folder) they are recreated.

I am continually bugged by software which adds folders all over the place. I hate software putting stuff in my documents directory...its for MY documents.

Any folder/document/preference that I find in there which shouldn't automatically goes in the trash. Of course they do come back after I launch the app (eg. Microsoft Word/Adobe Reader) - but luckily I don't use word very often (once a month?) and use preview instead of Adobe Reader.

...not the best soultion.

Any developer who decided to have preference/setting files stored in a users documents folder without permission and without the ability to change the files location should be shot, or forced to develop for Windows.
Luke

tritonus  (op)
Senior User
May 29, 2003, 08:42 AM

Originally posted by sandsl:
You can move the folder where ever you want, the point is as soon as the application can't find them in the set position (documents folder) they are recreated.

I am continually bugged by software which adds folders all over the place. I hate software putting stuff in my documents directory...its for MY documents.

Any folder/document/preference that I find in there which shouldn't automatically goes in the trash. Of course they do come back after I launch the app (eg. Microsoft Word/Adobe Reader) - but luckily I don't use word very often (once a month?) and use preview instead of Adobe Reader.

...not the best soultion.

Any developer who decided to have preference/setting files stored in a users documents folder without permission and without the ability to change the files location should be shot, or forced to develop for Windows.
Exactly!

Is PDF printing with Preview the same quality as with Adobe Reader?
SwitCHerland, Europe

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
May 29, 2003, 08:54 AM

Originally posted by tritonus:
I hate it when apps generate folders in my "Documents". How can I get rid of:

a) "Microsoft user data" folder from Office X
b) "eBooks" folder from Adobe Reader 6.0

If I delete them, they re-appear when I use the program the next time. So I need another solution, please.
Just make the folders in question invisible -- the programs will still be able to find 'em, but you won't see them in the Finder.

You can do this from the commandline or via a number of tools available on VersionTracker.com (even the venerable ResEdit will do the trick)
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

engaged
Location: Close to the sea and a place with a big, big castle...
May 29, 2003, 09:00 AM

The folder that Office X creates contains way more than just preferences; it's got all your mailbox databases, address books, etc.

I for one actually think that it's a reasonable idea, if you do indeed use the full Office suite. If you need to reformat your hard drive and start again from fresh, all you have to do is just back up your home directory. Once you've reinstalled everything, copy the Microsoft User Data folder back, and Entourage will fire up with all your email, address books, preferences, rules, etc.

Agree that it's unnecessary if you only use Word X and Excel X.

tritonus  (op)
Senior User
May 29, 2003, 09:01 AM

Originally posted by moki:
Just make the folders in question invisible -- the programs will still be able to find 'em, but you won't see them in the Finder.

You can do this from the commandline or via a number of tools available on VersionTracker.com (even the venerable ResEdit will do the trick)
That's a good idea.
What command do I have to enter in Terminal?
(Sorry, I'm a switcher.)
SwitCHerland, Europe

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
May 29, 2003, 11:31 AM

you also get ms user data if you use msn messenger. bha drives me mad its so anoying and pointless (if it was in the library you'd stil lbe able to back it up and copy it back just as easily)

asmodeus
Forum Regular
May 29, 2003, 12:58 PM

Put the Microsoft User Data folder in ~/Library/Preferences and it won't be recreated in ~/Documents.

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
May 29, 2003, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by asmodeus:
Put the Microsoft User Data folder in ~/Library/Preferences and it won't be recreated in ~/Documents.
thank you

tritonus  (op)
Senior User
May 29, 2003, 03:52 PM

Yeah, works great, even in the German version!

Double

Now, there's only Adobe's eBooks folder to bust...
SwitCHerland, Europe

asxless
Mac Elite
May 29, 2003, 04:25 PM

You can put the Microsoft User Data folder anywhere you have read/write access and just put an alias to it in your Documents folder. As moki pointed out you can also make the alias invisible. For example, I keep the Microsoft User Data folder on a separate partition where I keep my active projects because it contains the currrent Entourage Email database.

-- asxless

tritonus  (op)
Senior User
Aug 23, 2003, 07:45 AM

Anyone got a solution for "eBooks"? Can eBooks be turned off in Adobe Reader?
SwitCHerland, Europe

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2003, 10:40 AM

Very elegant solution!
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

tritonus  (op)
Senior User
Aug 23, 2003, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by voodoo:
Very elegant solution!
Yes, indeed. I'm looking for a similar solution for Adobe's "eBooks" folder, but the solution for Microsoft didn't do the trick for Adobe.
SwitCHerland, Europe

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2003, 10:59 AM

Yes, indeed. I'm looking for a similar solution for Adobe's "eBooks" folder, but the solution for Microsoft didn't do the trick for Adobe.
Actually, it was posted awhile ago that instead of doing the full download of Adobe Reader, you can just download the app iteself. Esp. useful if you don't use eBooks.

tritonus  (op)
Senior User
Nov 2, 2003, 06:59 AM

FYI, this works in OS X 10.3 "Panther" as well. A simple "move" is all it takes.
SwitCHerland, Europe

JLL
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2003, 07:29 AM

Originally posted by engaged:
I for one actually think that it's a reasonable idea, if you do indeed use the full Office suite. If you need to reformat your hard drive and start again from fresh, all you have to do is just back up your home directory.
Uhm, having the folder in ~/Library/Preferences or ~/Library/Application Support (where it belongs) gives you the same advantage.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

tritonus  (op)
Senior User
Mar 6, 2004, 04:42 PM

Why doesn't this work for "AppleWorks User Data"? It's now the only folder I don't want in "Documents".
SwitCHerland, Europe

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 6, 2004, 05:29 PM

Why doesn't this work for "AppleWorks User Data"? It's now the only folder I don't want in "Documents".
Because AppleWorks was excreted from the hindquarters of a cow.

Anyway, though, if you can't move it, you can at least least turn it invisible (with one of these programs).
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

austinjackson
Mar 6, 2004, 06:45 PM

For Adobe Reader eBooks folder:

Get info on the AdobeReader.app

Click to show the plugins.

Uncheck the eBook plugin.

Good solution if you don't read ebooks.

Ok, so How do I get rid of the Virtual PC folders?
Austin Jackson
EducatorsHandbook.com - because great decisions are based on great data.

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2004, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by austinjackson:
Ok, so How do I get rid of the Virtual PC folders?
Like moki suggested, just make the folder invisible. I used the program CloakIt, which seemed to be the most intuitive program to do this. Now no folders in my Documents, woot!

tritonus  (op)
Senior User
Sep 12, 2004, 06:11 AM

FYI, this doesn't work anymore with my new setup with Microsoft Office 2004. Your experience?
SwitCHerland, Europe

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2004, 06:46 AM

FYI, this doesn't work anymore with my new setup with Microsoft Office 2004. Your experience?
Same, doesn't work for me. Just make them invisible already - you will never see them again!

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 12, 2004, 07:06 AM

Why can't these idiot developers use Application Support or Preferences like 95% of the Cocoa developers?

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2004, 07:28 AM

what, exactly, is the command to make something invisible? I'd rather not download a program for something I can do easily from the CLI.

If you could tell me which man page to read, that'd be awesome.

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 12, 2004, 07:28 AM

If you ignore the Documents folder, or rather consider it to be yet another "system property" like Pictures, Library, etc - you can then simply create your own folder and call it "MY documents" as sandsl suggested.

Meanwhile, Application support sounds like a good place, since we're talking about so much more than just prefs (my Documents folder also has stuff from Palm, FAXstfX, sig files from banking software...).

BTW, my App Support folder has a "Microsoft" folder, holding a folder "Old fonts" - could this have been created by the Office 2004 Installer ?

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 12, 2004, 07:41 AM

Originally posted by Gerrit Vanoppen:
If you ignore the Documents folder, or rather consider it to be yet another "system property" like Pictures, Library, etc - you can then simply create your own folder and call it "MY documents" as sandsl suggested.
Sure but that's a cheap workaround.

I urge everyone to simply send polite e-mail to the developer to enlighten them on where application support files should go. If a significant amount of people did this, MS might start putting their files in the right place.

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2004, 07:50 AM

MS listens to feedback??!

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 12, 2004, 08:23 AM

Originally posted by Turnpike:
Good point...I wish I could smack the MacBU team around for being the bitches that they are.

Wherever you are, MacBU team, come out!!!

tritonus  (op)
Senior User
Sep 12, 2004, 08:27 AM

what, exactly, is the command to make something invisible? I'd rather not download a program for something I can do easily from the CLI.

If you could tell me which man page to read, that'd be awesome.
Same here.
SwitCHerland, Europe

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 12, 2004, 08:31 AM

Same here.
Well...I know adding a period (.) in front of a file/folder name makes that file/folder invisible. You can't do it via the Finder but you can do it via the CLI...but whether or not MS Office or other programs still recognize the folder, I'm not entirely sure.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2004, 01:09 PM

Works for me; I'm running Office 2004, just moved my Microsoft User Data from ~/Documents to ~/Library/Preferences/ and Entourage launched normally with all my data intact.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

tritonus  (op)
Senior User
Sep 12, 2004, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by Oneota:
Works for me; I'm running Office 2004, just moved my Microsoft User Data from ~/Documents to ~/Library/Preferences/ and Entourage launched normally with all my data intact.
You may be right. Seems to work with ~/Library/Preferences/ but not with ~/Library/Application Support/. Good enough for me though. Thanks!
SwitCHerland, Europe

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2004, 08:03 PM

Damn Toast 6 does the same thing - creates "Roxio Converted Items" every launch.

Edit: never mind... found how to change it in the apps preferences (I just got Toast only days ago)

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2004, 08:16 PM

I'd think that Word 6 taught them to listen to their Mac customers.

They did found the MacBU for a reason, you know.

tritonus  (op)
Senior User
Aug 12, 2006, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by Cadaver
Damn Toast 6 does the same thing - creates "Roxio Converted Items" every launch.

Edit: never mind... found how to change it in the apps preferences (I just got Toast only days ago)
Cool, I changed it to:
~/Library/Application Support/Roxio/Roxio Converted Items
SwitCHerland, Europe

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2006, 11:02 PM

Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 12, 2006, 11:17 PM

Relaunched my MSN and yep came right back after moving it to ~/Library/preferences

Forum Links
Forum Rules