Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes: Same album name but artist not the same

iTunes: Same album name but artist not the same
tritonus
Senior User
Nov 21, 2004, 09:20 AM

Just sent this to apple.com/feedback (iTunes):

--

I have several albums with the same album name in my iTunes library, example:

Waltz for Debby [Evans]
Waltz for Debby [Zetterlund]

or

Bach: Goldberg Variations [Gould]
Bach: Goldberg Variations [Schiff]

iTunes treats albums with the same name (by different artists!) as one album and one playlist. This is very unpleasant. My workaround is entering artists in [_] after the album name to keep them apart.

Maybe you find a better solution iTunes 5. Thanks.

--

Your suggestions?
SwitCHerland, Europe
17" PowerBook 1GHz | WaterField SleeveCase | LaCie d2 250GB | AirPort Extreme BS, AirPort Express | iPod photo 60GB

lavar78
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2004, 10:34 AM

I also find this behavior unfortunate. Instead of adding the artist at the end, you could just select both the album and the artist using browse. An easy way to do that is to use the arrow (or option-arrow if you haven't switched them) beside the artist's name after you have selected the album. Then you can select the album again and get just that artist's tracks. Wow, that sounds really confusing. Hopefully, you know what I mean.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

tritonus  (op)
Senior User
Nov 21, 2004, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by lavar78:
I also find this behavior unfortunate. Instead of adding the artist at the end, you could just select both the album and the artist using browse. An easy way to do that is to use the arrow (or option-arrow if you haven't switched them) beside the artist's name after you have selected the album. Then you can select the album again and get just that artist's tracks. Wow, that sounds really confusing. Hopefully, you know what I mean.
What arrow do you mean? I know the arrows that point to the iTMS. I've switched these off. "Option-arrow": Where do I click for that? Sorry if that sounds dumb.
SwitCHerland, Europe
17" PowerBook 1GHz | WaterField SleeveCase | LaCie d2 250GB | AirPort Extreme BS, AirPort Express | iPod photo 60GB

lavar78
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2004, 02:19 PM

I'm talking about the iTMS arrows. You can hold option when you click them to go to the corresponding artist/album/song in your library. You can reverse the behavior so clicking the arrow goes to your library while option-clicking goes to the iTMS.

tritonus  (op)
Senior User
Nov 21, 2004, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by lavar78:
I'm talking about the iTMS arrows. You can hold option when you click them to go to the corresponding artist/album/song in your library. You can reverse the behavior so clicking the arrow goes to your library while option-clicking goes to the iTMS.
Great! That's a nice idea for my issue. I just "reversed" the behaviour permanently. Many thanks for your link as well.

I wish there would be an arrow function for the iPod as well. Example: I play a playlist and want to continue with the album the current track is from.
SwitCHerland, Europe

lavar78
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2004, 03:26 PM

Glad I could help. Yes, that would be useful on the iPod, but I'm not sure there's a simple way to do it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules