Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iPod browsing: same title by different artists

iPod browsing: same title by different artists
tritonus
Senior User
Nov 21, 2004, 03:37 PM

Just send this to apple.com/feedback:

--

I have a huge jazz library. Sometimes I browse by title. An example of my list:

All Blues
All the Things You Are
All the Things You Are
All the Things You Are
Autumn Leaves
Autumn Leaves
Autumn Leaves
Autumn Leaves

There is no way to distinguish the different versions of "Autumn Leaves" by different artists except for clicking them all through in detail view mode. My suggestion: Please provide an additional layer ("artist") when there are tracks with identical names. The same system is applied by you for selecting a composer ("album" layer opens).

Thanks for listening.

--

Your opinion?
SwitCHerland, Europe
17" PowerBook 1GHz | WaterField SleeveCase | LaCie d2 250GB | AirPort Extreme BS, AirPort Express | iPod photo 60GB

drive-thru
Senior User
Nov 21, 2004, 06:10 PM

Agreed, it would be nice if when you highlighted a song it would scroll across the full title and artist (like it does on the 'Now Playing' screen).
I wish the playlist menu did this so that I can see the full name of my playlists. If you have more than one album from the same artist, and the artist has a long name, you can't tell which is which without selecting one of them.

tritonus  (op)
Senior User
Nov 21, 2004, 11:44 PM

Originally posted by drive-thru:
Agreed, it would be nice if when you highlighted a song it would scroll across the full title and artist (like it does on the 'Now Playing' screen).
It does on the iPod photo!
SwitCHerland, Europe
17" PowerBook 1GHz | WaterField SleeveCase | LaCie d2 250GB | AirPort Extreme BS, AirPort Express | iPod photo 60GB

Gussy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2004, 01:58 AM

damn rich iPod photo people

[g]

drive-thru
Senior User
Nov 22, 2004, 10:07 AM

It wouldn't make much difference for me anyway, because I've got a 3G iPod, so any software updates (like the last 2 released) won't include any updates for my iPod.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Nov 22, 2004, 12:30 PM

I had a problem where if I played an entire album by one artist, if one of the songs had the same name as one from another artist, it'd play the wrong artist's song.

I fixed it by deleting and resyncing. Very strange.

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2004, 03:27 PM

Well, the secondary sort order on the iPod's Browse mode is by artist (IIRC), so, if there are two songs with the same title, you can determine which is which by factoring that in...

...or...

...you could just click it.

tritonus  (op)
Senior User
Nov 23, 2004, 03:50 PM

Originally posted by GORDYmac:
Well, the secondary sort order on the iPod's Browse mode is by artist (IIRC), so, if there are two songs with the same title, you can determine which is which by factoring that in...
No, that's exactly the issue. The song titles are not grouped, therefore there is no choice for artists. If you click the song title, the iPod will immediately play (detail view).
SwitCHerland, Europe

Forum Links
Forum Rules