Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod photo stolen today - what to do?

iPod photo stolen today - what to do?
tritonus
Senior User
Mar 18, 2005, 06:59 PM

My iPod photo 60GB (rev. A) was stolen today :-(

What should I do now?

a) Is there a global list for lost and found iPods?

b) Buy the same 60GB model again from insurance money (rev. B = USB instead of FireWire) or wait for ___? Rumors for WWDC or earlier concerning iPods (80GB, PowerPod...?)
SwitCHerland, Europe
17" PowerBook 1GHz | WaterField SleeveCase | LaCie d2 250GB | AirPort Extreme BS, AirPort Express | iPod photo 60GB

CatOne
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2005, 01:46 AM

Originally posted by tritonus:

What should I do now?

b) Buy the same 60GB model again from insurance money (rev. B = USB instead of FireWire) or wait for ___? Rumors for WWDC or earlier concerning iPods (80GB, PowerPod...?)

tritonus  (op)
Senior User
Mar 19, 2005, 02:18 AM

Originally posted by CatOne:
Lost for words?
SwitCHerland, Europe
17" PowerBook 1GHz | WaterField SleeveCase | LaCie d2 250GB | AirPort Extreme BS, AirPort Express | iPod photo 60GB

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2005, 02:51 AM

Sorry to hear that, my condolences.

I'm not quite sure, but I believe remembering that Apple maintains a serial no. database of stolen Macs. Maybe iPods go in there as well. Why don't you call Apple Switzerland (they're in Wallisellen ZH) and ask?

The way I know Swiss insurances, you have to file a report at a local police station anyway and they will note your serial number. At least if they ever find it, you'll get it back. An old PowerBook of mine got stolen right out of my bag on the train from Zurich to Geneva about eight years ago. The police called me up about a year later and said they wanted to return my PowerBook - they even drove it to my doorstep. In turned out, they had raided some drug dealer's place and among other loot, they found my baby. I was stunned that I really got it back; although, technically at that time, it was already property of my insurance company.

I'd get a replacement now since we just got updates - I don't think there's a point in waiting. If you prefer rev A to rev B, there are still quite some dealers that are selling rev A 60 GB iPods here, for example Letec or Dataquest in Zurich. Their prices have been lowered to better match the rev Bs.

Good luck!
( Last edited by Simon; Mar 19, 2005 at 03:13 AM. )

tritonus  (op)
Senior User
Mar 19, 2005, 03:16 AM

Originally posted by Simon:
Sorry to hear that, my condolences.

I'm not quite sure, but I believe remembering that Apple maintains a serial no. database of stolen Macs. Maybe iPods go in there as well. Why don't you call Apple Switzerland (they're in Wallisellen ZH) and ask?

The way I know Swiss insurances, you have to file a report at a local police station anyway and they will note your serial number. At least if they ever find it, you'll get it back. An old PowerBook of mine got stolen out of my bag in the train from Zurich to Geneva about eight years ago. The police called me up about a year later and said they wanted to return my PowerBook - they even drove it to my doorstep. In turned out, they had raided some drug dealer's place and among other loot, they found my baby. I was stunned that I really got it back; although, technically at that time, it was already property of my insurance company.

I'd get a replacement now since we just got updates - I don't think there's a point in waiting. If you prefer rev A to rev B, there are still quite some dealers that are selling rev A 60 GB iPods here, for example Letec or Dataquest in Zurich. Their prices have been lowered to better match the rev Bs.

Good luck!
Thanks for your advice!

I will go to the local police station today. I hope I have noted the serial number down on paper somewhere as I haven't found a way to retrieve it from my PowerBook. I can't look it up on Apple Store as it shows only things bought up to 90 days ago.

The iPod photo 60GB was introduced in October 2004. The rev. B in February 2005 didn't change anything to the device itself, right? Only changes are no FireWire cable, no carrying case, iPod photo Dock (A/V), correct? Of course, I still have cable and dock at home. But I couldn't find a carrying case for the 60GB model on Apple Store. Nonetheless, the 60GB model seems to be 6 months old and maybe be replaced with a 80GB model soon.
SwitCHerland, Europe

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2005, 03:29 AM

I will go to the local police station today. I hope I have noted the serial number down on paper somewhere as I haven't found a way to retrieve it from my PowerBook. I can't look it up on Apple Store as it shows only things bought up to 90 days ago.
Look at your iPod box. The serial no. is printed on a label stuck to the bottom. Or, if you don't have the box anymore, get the invoice/delivery note that the AppleStore sent with your iPod. On the top of the invoice it says what your order number was. Call the AppleStore (0800/801078) and tell them the story and kindly ask them to give you the serial no. of the device they sent you.

The iPod photo 60GB was introduced in October 2004. The rev. B in February 2005 didn't change anything to the device itself, right? Only changes are no FireWire cable, no carrying case, iPod photo Dock (A/V), correct?
Yes.

Of course, I still have cable and dock at home. But I couldn't find a carrying case for the 60GB model on Apple Store.

Strange, I couldn't find it either. But I believe you should be able to use the standard iPod carrying case: http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObje...earnMore=M9129

Nonetheless, the 60GB model seems to be 6 months old and maybe be replaced with a 80GB model soon.
I wouldn't count on that happening very soon. The rev Bs are one month old now. Apple will certainly wait till at least summer to update them. Of course it all depends on how much you need the iPod now and of course also on how much you need an additional 20 GB.

tritonus  (op)
Senior User
Mar 19, 2005, 03:46 AM

Originally posted by Simon:
I wouldn't count on that happening very soon. The rev Bs are one month old now. Apple will certainly wait till at least summer to update them. Of course it all depends on how much you need the iPod now and of course also on how much you need an additional 20 GB.
The box! Great idea! I have kept the beautiful box, of course.

I also thought I would just order the 40GB model of the carrying case, thickness is quite the same so it should work.

The waiting game: That's also my impression. I could grab my girlfriend's 3G iPod 15GB for a couple of months though. And I don't need 80GB now as I have filled my 60GB model with about 30GB in music (all at AAC 128). I would need 150GB to go all Apple Lossless. It would be nice if the 60GB would come down in thickness. Maybe the new lineup would be:

- iPod photo 40GB (thin, 1 platter): $349

- iPod photo 80GB (thick, 2 platters): $449
http://news.com.com/Next+step+for+iP...3-5490731.html

Have a nice day!
SwitCHerland, Europe

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2005, 01:34 PM

Have a nice day!
Thanks, you too.

Garage81
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2005, 02:55 PM

you could always get the older 60gig from apple, or another retailer, and double up on your accessories

thats what i always did, never hurts to have an extra dock, cable, etc.

Mac Mini : 1.66 Core Duo : 2 GB ♥

tritonus  (op)
Senior User
Mar 20, 2005, 03:16 PM

Good news! The iPod was found and given back to the authorities of Swiss Railway. I can pick it up tomorrow at the railway station. I hope it's still in good condition. I just informed the police station to erase my report for stolen/lost items.

Many thanks to all of you for your advice.
( Last edited by tritonus; Mar 20, 2005 at 03:22 PM. )
SwitCHerland, Europe

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 20, 2005, 03:26 PM

Congrats! It's good to hear you're getting it back.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2005, 12:45 AM

Good news! The iPod was found and given back to the authorities of Swiss Railway. I can pick it up tomorrow at the railway station. I hope it's still in good condition. I just informed the police station to erase my report for stolen/lost items.

Many thanks to all of you for your advice.
Wow, that's terrific! I am really impressed to hear that. I'd love to know how they recovered it.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules