Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Printer Sharing over ethernet -- please help!!

Printer Sharing over ethernet -- please help!!
PeteL999
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 28, 2001, 12:02 PM

first of all I'm sure this has been discussed before and I searched the fora but nothing came up

now that thats out of the way here's my problem-

My epson 740i is totally dead but my parents have an epson 700 on their beige desktop powermac G3 (serial i think) these two computers are on an ethernet for our cable internet access Can I print to the 700 from my iMac through an ethernet cable??

What I'm trying to say is how do I setup a printer sharing network
Are you or are you not the black angel of death

moedog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2001, 01:08 PM

Hi,

I'm not familiar with the Epson printers; however, I will discuss how I share my HP 855 DeskJet over a local internet. Hopefully this will give you some idears on how to achieve what you are trying to do.

Hardware Setup

1) The printer must have a network interface (AppleTalk is what I'm using). I purchased an inexpensive adapter that goes from AppleTalk interface to an Ethernet interface.
2) From the AppleTalk to Ethernet convertor, I connected to a Farallon EtherMac iPrint Adaptor (~$79-99).
3) From IiPrint Adapter, I connected to an Asante Hub
4) My other two Macs are also on the hub.

Software setup (on all computers that will share the network printer).

1) Install printer drivers for network connectivity
2) Activate AppleTalk
3) Go to Chooser , select Appleshare, then select printer.

If you are sharing over the cable modem internet cloud, you will have to set up sharing permissions between the two or more systems.

PeteL999  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 28, 2001, 01:49 PM

it sounds like I'd have to pay around 100 - 150 dollars on this. I think it'd be easier to just buy a new printer. Thanx anyway

Osirisis
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 28, 2001, 02:56 PM

I haven't used it, but doesn't 9.x come with USB printer sharing? Perhaps you might want to look into whether or not that can supply a solution that works.

milhaus
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 28, 2001, 04:14 PM

Originally posted by Osirisis:
<STRONG>I haven't used it, but doesn't 9.x come with USB printer sharing? Perhaps you might want to look into whether or not that can supply a solution that works.</STRONG>
I think the problem with that solution is that his 740i (with USB) has died. As far as I know, USB printer sharing only works with USB Printers (go figure). New USB printers which are better than the 740i would be significantly cheaper and less trouble than the solutions posed above.
|Desktop:|Abit NFS7 Athlon 3200+, 1GIG RAM, DVD-R (A05) CDRW (52x), 1X200GIG, 1X160GIG, 2X120GIG, ATI Radeon 9800Pro, Samsung 172x Win XP Pro SP2
|Laptop:| Powerbook G4 12" 1.33ghz AE BT 768MB 10.3
|Laptop 2:| Compaq 1050CA 1.4ghz Centrino 512MB Win XP Home

Herr Newton
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 28, 2001, 05:14 PM

Originally posted by PeteL999:
<STRONG>first of all I'm sure this has been discussed before and I searched the fora but nothing came up

now that thats out of the way here's my problem-

My epson 740i is totally dead but my parents have an epson 700 on their beige desktop powermac G3 (serial i think) these two computers are on an ethernet for our cable internet access Can I print to the 700 from my iMac through an ethernet cable??

What I'm trying to say is how do I setup a printer sharing network</STRONG>
Epson 700 is kinda vague... I think you mean an Epson Photo 700, right? If so, it should have a serial and USB connection. My advice is to get an A-B USB cable and plug the 700 into your iMac. Set-up both machines with USB printer sharing, and there ya' go. (Non-USB machines can print to USB printers via USB print sharing.)

PeteL999  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2001, 08:18 AM

anyone recommend a good cheap USB printer?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2001, 03:06 PM

I suggest getting an HP printer. The DeskJet 935c was rated Editor's Choice amoung all the printers in it's class in the latest issue of MacWorld. I've seen this printer priced for $129. Or you can spend an extra $20 and get the model that I have, the DeskJet 952c. It does everything the 935c does... but faster. These are wonderful printers, both are fast, quiet and have a low ink cost per page (6� for color, 3� for black).

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 29, 2001, 04:09 PM

Here is the problem with USB printer sharing.....

The printer MUST be hooked up to a computer with a built in USB. Which means that the beige G3 even with a PCI USB card will not work as the printer host computer. And then if you do get the printer on a USB native computer all computers that print to it must be running OS9.x or higher.

I was able to share an old laserwriter through a serial port through apple's laserwriter bridge. Maybe something like that would work for your situation. But my honest advice is to just spend the $75 on a new printer. The are very cheap right now with all the back-to-school sales and rebates.

PeteL999  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2001, 04:55 PM

thanks for the advice I'm going to go with the hewlett packard printer 952c

Herr Newton
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 29, 2001, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by Langdon:
<STRONG>The printer MUST be hooked up to a computer with a built in USB. Which means that the beige G3 even with a PCI USB card will not work as the printer host computer.</STRONG>
Beg to differ: We're using a PowerMac 8600/200 upgraded with a Belkin 2-port USB card as a dedicated print server for two, Epson StylusColor 3000s. Works flawlessly with USB PrintSharing for times when you really don't need to bother ripping a file.

Forum Links
Forum Rules