Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > recommendation for portable mp3 player

recommendation for portable mp3 player
WSE
May 15, 2001, 08:25 PM

I'd appreciate recommendations for a portable MP3 player. I don't know if the Intel Pocket Concert is Mac compatible, anyone been able to use it? I couldn't find any USB drivers for it on their website.

There is a new 128 Meg Rio player, some rumors of poor quality control, would appreciate any feedback from actual users.

Thanks

ddiokno
Mac Elite
May 15, 2001, 09:19 PM

Originally posted by WSE:
I'd appreciate recommendations for a portable MP3 player. I don't know if the Intel Pocket Concert is Mac compatible, anyone been able to use it? I couldn't find any USB drivers for it on their website.
There is a new 128 Meg Rio player, some rumors of poor quality control, would appreciate any feedback from actual users.
Thanks
Hi Bill,
I haven't used either of those two, but my wife has an iJam 101, and loves it... it has a good form factor and sound quality if pretty good (she uses it while running). I personally like her no frills iJam 50 (a very inexpensive MP3 player that uses Compact Flash -- which lets me use my Digital camera memory).
dave

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2001, 10:38 PM

Hey get one of those mp3 cd player, only 128 in the new rio ha I laugh at that you can suf 700 mb of mp3 on one disc with folders of bands then cds then by song. I would wait untill there is a better searching, like itunes for it, because honestly can you flip thrugh 400 songs for that one that you want to listen but still 700mb that kicks ass. plus they play regular cds and cdrw, with 40 sec antishock thats imposible to skip. I beleve that there is one produces by Philips and many more will come soon. search the web you'll find one. only down side you need a burner but everyone has one right.

------------------
I Have a Super Computer

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

ddiokno
Mac Elite
May 16, 2001, 08:27 AM

Hey Bill,
I guess it also depends on what you are looking to do with it (obviously play music.... but how... ie running, on the plane, in the car, etc). If you want something to take with you running, its my opinion that the smaller, the better, because they are less obtrusive than the discman types. Also, unless you are running a marathon, you should have sufficient space in the memory to hold enough songs to satisfy your needs... Even though the disc based MP3 players have shock protection, I have still had cases where my Sony will skip...
Not to say there aren't good reasons for the CD based MP3's players... again, it depends on what you will be using it for. I find huge benefits to these type of MP3 players when going on long trips, or for making a jukebox, because of the sheer vlume of songs that you can put on a CD. Even though they can make them pretty light (IMHO), I still find them a little obtrusive (due to the form factor of CD's) to take with me running.
best of luck,
dave

WSE  (op)
May 16, 2001, 09:54 AM

Thanks for your alll your replies. I plan to use the mp3 player for jogging, so small size, light weight, and "jar-ability" are important.

I'd love to hear recommendations amongst solid state mp3 players -- specifically if anyone has been able to use the Intel Pocket Concert player with a USB Macintosh.

Thanks

trv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2001, 10:26 AM

If you got the money get this: PJB-100 www.pjb.com
Effective February 5, 2001, Remote Solution is introducing new
20 GB-PJB100. The new PJB100, comes with Backlit feature as standard.

SORRY www.pjbox.com

[This message has been edited by trv (edited 05-16-2001).]

webintosh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2001, 12:33 PM

I picked up one of the new Rio 800 128MB's last week ($250 at ecost.com!) and am very pleased with it so far. Integration with iTunes is beautiful -- no need to install any additional software. Plug the Rio in, launch iTunes, power up the Rio and then start dragging and dropping songs.

With the 128MB of storage, I'm usually able to fit around 30 songs (mix of 128kbps and 160kbps files).

The recent price drop of the Nomad Jukebox made it an attractive option, but the sleekness of the Rio 800, combined with its instant on capabilities (the Jukebox needs to boot up) made it an easy choice.

Originally posted by WSE:

Thanks

WSE  (op)
May 27, 2001, 01:56 AM

I purchase the Rio 800 (128 Megs) and unfortunately, it has the same freeze problem reported by many users on Amazon ... without warning it just freezes. Partially sliding out the battery pack and sliding it back in ()the equivalent of a restart button) fixes the freeze, but it is very annoying and has happened as many as 3 times during a 30 minute jog.

If the Intel Pocket Concert only had a Mac driver, I'd go for that instead.

Anyone out there have a better experience?

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
May 28, 2001, 03:49 AM

Creative-Nomad, jukebox or whatever it is called.

(edit)why dont you drive over to glendale galleria and check out the ones they have at the apple store.

[This message has been edited by Macfreak7 (edited 05-28-2001).]

dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
May 28, 2001, 06:26 PM

I just got a Nomad II USB last week. It has a 64mb smart media card, an FM tuner, and a built in Voice recorder. It can't read 128mb smart media yet but Creative says it'll be able to in a future firmware upgrade. I usually fit about 10-15 songs at a mix of 192, 160, and 128. It works perfectly with iTunes. I got it for 164 shipped from Staples by pricematching it to Amazon and then using a 30 off 150 coupon. It's a great player and I highly reccomend it over comparable Rio players if for no other reason than the FM tuner.

------------------
Regards,
Dave
Regards,
Dave

dooger
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2001, 11:24 PM

I have had the Nike psa120 for about 6 months now. I run about 40 miles a week and use it almost all the time. I've never had it skip once and overall I would say it is very comfortable to run with. I use the armband attachment all the time and don't I could run with an mp3 player any other way. The included headphones are great too and they always stay in place for me. The 120 model also holds on average about an hours worth of music, plenty long enough for most runs. While it is expensive, it is very sturdy, yet extremely lightweight. I hardly even notice that it's there. So, if you plan to use an mp3 player for jogging or running, I couldn't recommend anything better than one of the Nike models.
Just my $.02

PS - It's also compatible with iTunes per the Apple website, though I haven't tested it yet because I'm waiting for the FedEx man to deliver my new iBook.
iBook 500/640/Combo
Cube 450/640/DVD
30 GB iPod

PeteL999
Mac Enthusiast
May 29, 2001, 07:38 AM

Go with a nomad II or a Nomad II MG they are the greatest. The nomad II will soon be able to utilize 128 mb, the mg has 64 mb built-in memory and you can put in 64 mb smartmedia card - giving you 128 mb. You can't go wrong. And with the new formats like WMA mp3 files will only get smaller meaning you'll fit more and more songs on it.
Are you or are you not the black angel of death

<blueeyes>
Jun 6, 2001, 11:45 PM

I have an iomega hip zip player, which is very small and has been very reliable for me. Yes, it uses propietory format disks. However, the media are much cheaper than CF cards.

RoofusPennymore
Senior User
Jun 7, 2001, 01:17 AM

Are there any that use a CF card and has a FM tuner?
---I'm on a low Microsoft diet.

<Austin>
Jun 7, 2001, 01:58 AM

I have a Creative Nomad IIMG.
The FM tuner, the MIC, the build quality and the weight are simply unbeatable IMO.

dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 8, 2001, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by RoofusPennymore:
<STRONG>Are there any that use a CF card and has a FM tuner?</STRONG>
The Creative Nomad II and Nomad II MG have FM tunes but they use smart media not compact flash. The MG model is smaller, more expensive but has 64mb built int. The Nomad II has one slot for a smartmedia card.
Regards,
Dave

Forum Links
Forum Rules