Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > will you install Vista on your intel iMac?

View Poll Results: install vista in mac mini/imac
Poll Options:
yes 8 votes (20.00%)
no 25 votes (62.50%)
maybe so 7 votes (17.50%)
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll
will you install Vista on your intel iMac?
Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2005, 10:25 PM

When Apple starts using Intel chips on its low-end lineup of iMacs and Mac minis, will you install Vista on them? Apparently Windows boots up just fine on prototype MacIntels, so you should have no problem doing this on the finished product.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2005, 10:42 PM

Never would I sully a Mac with any version of Windows.

It's a crime against good taste.

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 31, 2005, 11:22 PM

absolutely. i will.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2005, 11:24 PM

would i install unreleased software on unreleased hardware? i don't know.

-r.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 1, 2005, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
Apparently Windows boots up just fine on prototype MacIntels, so you should have no problem doing this on the finished product.
There is no reason to believe that Apple won't make changes that inadvertently make Windows incompatible. The developer Intel Macs are basically unmodified PCs inside a G5 case. It is entirely unreasonable to assume that Apple will use off the shelf motherboards. More likely they will be highly customized designs.

tooki

OogaBooga
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2005, 12:42 AM

I'll just use my Athlon64 that's sitting here unused.

b11051973
Forum Regular
Aug 1, 2005, 04:24 PM

I currently have both Windows and Mac machines. If I could run Windows on my Mac I wouldn't need 2 computers anymore. Virtual PC doesn't count in my book. I need a real Windows PC.

zign
Forum Regular
Aug 1, 2005, 04:55 PM

It is a year or so early, don't you think? We know nothing about the Vista. I believe it's going to suck until they release service packs wich will fix some bugs but mess up the system in a competely new way We did hear speculations about XP before it came out, and when it finally did all I saw was a new skin. If they do manage to bring a good system, then yes, I might run it along side X. Microsoft is all about mass production rather than quality. This is why I don't want MacOS x86 to be available for any machines but Macs.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 1, 2005, 05:36 PM

I can build a nicely powerful Intel or AMD machine for a lot less than I can buy a Mac. I would LOVE to be able to put OS X on an Intel machine I built, but that's apparently not in the cards. So why would I want to put Vista on any Mac?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

broxy5
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2005, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
When Apple starts using Intel chips on its low-end lineup of iMacs and Mac minis, will you install Vista on them? Apparently Windows boots up just fine on prototype MacIntels, so you should have no problem doing this on the finished product.

Unless you know something I don't (which is entirely possible), I can't see it ever working.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2005, 06:47 AM

Maybe. Perhaps. I would only if I could download a pirated copy of Vista and burn it to a CD, then install from that.

Just to try it out. Then I'd delete it again. I see no point in keeping it. I have everything I need right here in OS X. And it's done better.

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2005, 07:14 AM

I'd see running windows apps through darwine nice -- but that doesn't require windows.

Having windows is totally pointless.
Aloha

dru
Senior User
Aug 2, 2005, 10:52 AM

Possibly. If it's no less stable than on "designed for" hardware. The issue then becomes file system compatibility / mounting devices. So I'm one of those 'maybe so' but it's probably less of a problem to just toss it on a separate PC.
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

smoke-tetsu
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2005, 12:36 PM

Maybe but this all depends on what the final machine will be like. Which there is no guarantee as the developer mac doesn't have the final hardware in it. But I would never partition my mac drive and install it there. I'd rather do something like install it on an external drive and plug in and boot off of that instead.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Aug 2, 2005, 12:47 PM

Home Built PC Running OS X: It's not going to happen. Apple will employ an InTel DRM chip to prevent anyone from using a basic PC to Run OS X.

That wasn't the poll by the way...

I would never run Vista on a Mac box. Ever. Ever. Ever. Ever. I h8 WIndows with a passion.

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2005, 12:48 PM

Anyway, one of the *HUGE* reasons why nothing else would probably make it onto my mac's hard drive besides OS X, is that like right now, I don't need anything else..

This machine's been up 11 and a half days -- I run stuff on it that I tend to have running for long amounts of time, and like to have it available to my use 24/7 (not to mention others who run MUDs, and myself running a MUD, IRC server, and a few other odds and ends) -- and rebooting JUST to use a windows program isn't worth it to me.

Having a "Windows environment" like wine -- something that darwine will offer I'm sure, will be nice - but probably not necessary. For those of you who have used wine on a linux/BSD box, you probably already know the pain in the butt involved with getting certain MS apps to work anyway (so many require IE -- and installing IE on WINE is a *REAL LOAD OF FUN*)
Aloha

Forum Links
Forum Rules