Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Saving info before formatting HD....

Saving info before formatting HD....
SimonE
Sep 1, 2000, 04:21 AM

This is probably so simple as to be stupid, but if I want to wipe my HD and install a new OS, how do I save the information in programs such as IE5 (for example addreses / e-mails). Do I just need to save the preferences file to my zip drive or does info get stored somewhere else? Thanks.

Cipher13
Sep 1, 2000, 06:05 AM

Generally your email/bookmarks etc. are stored in the Preferences folder in the System Folder, but they may be stored in the application folder.
Either mail me or post here what programs your using and what you would like salvaged, and I'll help you out with it.

Cipher13

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 1, 2000, 12:35 PM

You have a zip so you can save "some" files but given its limitations, speed and size, not the best. SCSI, FireWire, or 2nd internal ATA drive offers better speed and size.

You can upgrade or perform a "clean" install without wiping a drive (though a good idea, esp. if major upgrade or you've had crashes etc lately). Good time to partition for better use of drive space: separate partitions for different operating systems, for scratch, and a general area for most apps, documents and internet folders/files.

If planning on the OS X beta, I think that requires partitioning before or during install and a partition of 800 MB minimum, 1.2 recommended, and 1.5 GB for "full" install of LOT of optional packages (server level rather than user) or full BSD compilers and libraries. �r Linux install.

Drive Setup 1.9.2 (OS 9.0.4) has a Custom initialization option for a Linux setup.

Gregory

Cipher13
Sep 2, 2000, 02:03 AM

DP4 infact doesn't require you to partition your HD. You can install onto your OS 9 volume if you want (not recommended...). I think it just moves all the old stuff into a folder or something.

Cipher13

Forum Links
Forum Rules