Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Speech Recognition crashes G3

Speech Recognition crashes G3
eklee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2000, 10:14 PM

I'm running OS 9 on a B&W G3 350. Been trying to get speech recognition to work. Every time I enable the extensions, though, the machine crashes at the end of startup (around the time before Finder icons start appearing)

Has anyone had/heard of similar problems? Any ideas for workarounds?

I have re-installed the extensions several times, run Norton, etc. Conflict Catcher thought it was the whole set of Speech extensions and cdev's, but I can use Speech-to-Text stuff.

Thanks!

------------------
Phi Sigma Kappa
Course VI
MIT

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 26, 2000, 01:45 PM

By Speech Recognition you mean Apple's or ViaVoice?

I'm running OS9 BW/G3/350/rev2/256MB and Speakable Items.

You did a clean install so none of the old prefs are being used?

If you boot with extensions off you can open CC8 and scan for damaged resources as a start.

No matter how careful, and Norton, Disk Warrior, TechTool Pro, and letting DFA repair on startups after a crash - that is not 100% fool-proof that something is awry. A clean install after reinitializing with Drive Setup or something though should.

I have been seeing freezes etc and ended up reinstalling Office 98 and IE/OE to get around it.

Load order of extensions (Norton Antivirus) sometimes have to be changed and might do what you are experiencing.

Even CC8 (8.06) has an issue with OS 9 as I understand it. Minor but first time this has happened.

personally, the Mac OS is "fragile" and in need of surgery (OS X hopefully) to end this and more. Mainframes have isolated partitions so a bomb doesn't take the system down or corrupt system files.

Greg

eklee  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2000, 05:25 PM

sorry for the confusion - I meant Apple's.

it's not really important that I get it up and working, just something that would have been nice to experiment with.

I did do a clean-install when I originally installed OS 9, but the system crashed upon the first restart after that.

For me, it's not really worth the hassle or time (sleep is much better =) of reformatting, and re-installing for non-essential software. I was just wondering if anyone else had had similar conflicts and, for example, could say "oh yeah, extension X breaks that sucker"

Thanks for the advice, though!

------------------
Phi Sigma Kappa
Course VI
MIT

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 26, 2000, 07:09 PM

In that case, Extension Overload is one shareware (check versiontracker) that does some of what conflict catcher does and has database of error codes and such.

Complete Conflict Compendium is a web based searchable database of what other users have been able to confirm - if people take the time to track them down and then share them so others can avoid same. There is a free email newsletter of all updates, good for when say OS 9 is released and new things to learn. Sometimes it takes days to start with a clean system just Apple stuff then slowly and gradually add one at a time - but often it is not "A and B" but two extensions triggering a conflict that makes sleuthing harder.

If you do come up with why, or for curiousity: http://www.mac-conflicts.com/

Greg

Forum Links
Forum Rules