Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Voice Print ID

Voice Print ID
Chancellor Sean
Jan 26, 2000, 09:34 PM

I was curious. After my OS 9 upgrade, my DVSE seems to have a problem with the voice print password. It seems to lack comprehention. Thus, I'd like to buy a digital microphone. Any idea where I could buy one?

Misha
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2000, 01:00 PM

I don't know where you could find a digital microphone but trust me... Voice Print doesn't work well period. Just use a regular, ol' fashion, type-it-in password.

Indy
Jan 27, 2000, 02:31 PM

Not to undermine the opinion of an Administrator, but I use the voiceprint software on an iMac DVSE at least twice a day (once in the morning, once after lunch) and it seems to work for me using the built in mic.

Granted I work in a fairly quiet office (and you should hear some of the questions that I get when people hear me talking to my computer

bramke
Jan 27, 2000, 03:32 PM

To my knowledge, a digital microphone doesn't exist. A microphone is always analogue, and the analog/digital conversion is done outside the microphone (in the computer, or an outside AD-convertor)
Sound is analogue, and is captured analogue by a microphone. We don't speak in ones and zeros.

mnorris
Jan 27, 2000, 04:12 PM

Actually, not true. There are such things as digital microphones, although all that really means is that there is an AD converter inside the microphone itself, and the output is in some digital format (either SPDIF or AES/EBU). They have exceptionally good quality, however, along with an exceptionally high price-tag. Of course that means that your Mac would have to have a digital I/O card, which would be kinda pointless if the only thing you needed your microphone for was voiceprints. (I can't imagine spending $5000 just to get a state-of-the-art voiceprint system for my iMac DVSE...)

Misha
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2000, 04:27 PM

I've seen too many people have bad luck with the voice password... it simply doesn't work consistantly to be practical at anything beyond showing off to your friends.

What it comes down to is that regular passwords are more efficient, imo.

Forum Links
Forum Rules