Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Bad Sound Quality with QT 5.0

Bad Sound Quality with QT 5.0
PeteL999
Mac Enthusiast
May 9, 2001, 06:55 AM

Has anyone else noticed that the sound quality is not as good with quickime 5.0.1?? In my case it is. I heard some people have exprienced it and if you do you should zap the pram. How do I do that and will anything change on my computer. Preferences? stuff like that
Are you or are you not the black angel of death

nonzero
May 14, 2001, 09:33 AM

I now have the same problem (it just developed over the weekend, while playing an MP3 with SoundJam and opening QT 5 at the same time.) I zapped the PRAM (Hold Option-Command-R-P during bootup) that did nothing. I trashed the QT Prefs, the Sound Prefs, still nothing. I guess eventually I will reformat, Zap the PRAM and start over. This is a horrible, insidious little bug.

javalizard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2001, 06:19 PM

I am having the same problem. It seems that QT 5.0.1 wants to be in 22.1khz mode instead of the standard 44.1khz!!! I start up SoundEdit16 and that resets the output sound format. but it only works with that single mp3 that plays (iTunes). I'm going to try zapping the pram but I don't think that will work. I may just have to switch back to QT 4. :-( all that work and phththththth

well, later people.
Brad

PeteL999  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 17, 2001, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by javalizard:
I am having the same problem. It seems that QT 5.0.1 wants to be in 22.1khz mode instead of the standard 44.1khz!!! I start up SoundEdit16 and that resets the output sound format. but it only works with that single mp3 that plays (iTunes). I'm going to try zapping the pram but I don't think that will work. I may just have to switch back to QT 4. :-( all that work and phththththth

well, later people.
Brad
are you saying it fixes the problem in itunes?? Thats great I use iTunes and thats my problem. I looked at soundedit 16 but its $300!!!!! I just want to reset the sound back to 44.1khz is there any way to do it.....for free!!!!!! a demo maybe??

[This message has been edited by PeteL999 (edited 05-17-2001).]

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 20, 2001, 11:03 AM

Hmmm I have to say Quicktime sounds damn good for me, at least with mpeg movies with audio and MP3s. Very crisp and clear and deep bass.

Maybe I just got lucky.

------------------

PeteL999  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 20, 2001, 05:41 PM

I think we just got unlucky

Forum Links
Forum Rules