Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Internet Gone Every Clean Install

Internet Gone Every Clean Install
Euphrates
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 25, 2001, 06:27 PM

I have a beige 333MHz G3 mintower w/ 192 MB of RAM. I recently purchased Mac OS X (yesterday actually) and intialized and repartitioned my internal drive (8GB) to install my new OS. On one partition I installed OS X and the other I installed OS 9.1, which was included with X. My plan was to back up everything on a 1394 Hard Drive (from western digital, with PCI card also from WD) and get it back after I had installed both systems on my repartitioned drive. I used the CD's that came with both of my 1394 products (adaptor and HD) to install the software needed to use my hard drive on OS 9.1. I installed both, and the Hard Drive didn't appear. I figured I would open Disk Control (I think that's what its called. My internet is gone, this is a public computer (addressing that in a sec, lol). Anyway, when I opened Disk Control it said that "FWServicesLib" was missing. Now I have installed the software from the CD's three times to no avail. Now I am stuck without all my data and I have no way of retrieving it. By the way, I am not trying to get this to work with OS X, this is still in OS 9.1.

Now to the subject of this post, everytime I clean install a new version (8.6, 9 etc.) I cannot connect to the internet. I have a DSL modem with a static IP address. I put the info into the setup assistant on first startup and then change the user mode in the TCP/IP control panel to Advanced and fill every box. The modem is fine, it says that its OK, and the ethernet connection led is green and ready to go. Anytime I try to connect to the internet (IE or OS X help files etc) the leds blink a little bit (slower than they would if it worked) and it never connects to anything. Now I know I had the internet problem like this before, and I ended up just switching back to my old system folder because I was too frustrated.

Congratulations if you've kept reading so far, you're just about done. Anyway, I would usually just switch back to my old system folder and continue working, but it's backed up on my firewire harddrive, which I can't get to. Now I am stuck with OS X, OS 9.1, no internet and none of my files. HELP!!! please...

tdominey
Forum Regular
Mar 25, 2001, 08:11 PM

What it sounds like to me is something I've done many times when I've performed a clean OS install, or rebuilt a harddrive. You are losing your TCP/IP Preferences when you reinstall the OS. I always had to call tech support to get the modem working again.

But then after getting it up and working, I copied my TCP/IP preferences file to a safe place. Then whenever I reinstalled the OS, I replaced the new, just installed pref with my older one. Reboot. And presto -- online just like before.

Do this before you reinstall an OS with clean install. As for right now, you probably need to call your ISP.
---------------------------------------
Dominey Design
http://www.domineydesign.com/

Forum Links
Forum Rules