Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > FASTEST G4 EVER

FASTEST G4 EVER
Macintosh
Banned
May 22, 2001, 03:16 PM

wait and see if this comes true at MWNY,1.4 GHZ Powermac G4. I have a feeling we are in for a shockingly huge speed bump come MWNY.

xyber233
Mac Elite
May 22, 2001, 03:41 PM

That would be nice but its still a dream. Do you think Motorola can actually do this? We havent seen anything faster than dual 533s yet.

------------------

NeoMac
Mac Elite
May 22, 2001, 04:00 PM

Are you just thinking wishfully out loud or are you basing this on some piece of factual information?

Still, a DUAL-733 is a 1.4Ghz PowerMac.
"Last time the French asked for more evidence, it rolled through France with a German flag." - David Letterman

PeteL999
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2001, 05:22 PM

but we don't even have them
Are you or are you not the black angel of death

Alexanthros
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2001, 06:10 PM

The only pleasant surprise we can have at the MWNY is a PowerMac with AMD proccessors. I don't think Motorolla can take such a leap in speed .
If Macs had the power of the AMDs , software companies would look at the Mac platform as more future-certain(sorry for my english) and won't hesitate to write for it.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
May 22, 2001, 09:00 PM

Yeah, and every current mac program would have to run in emulation, and it would kill software compatibility.

and apple would have to write drivers for it all, and rewrite the OS, etc.
I'm giving up, and hopefully will be ordering my dual 533 next week.
I'm not going to wait for faster anymore.

------------------
G3 400, 384, 12 + 75 GB
PM 8500 - 150, 176, 4.3 GB
PM 7100 - 66, 32, 700 MB
PM 6100 - 66, 40, 1 GB
And the lowest of all:
Athlon Thunderbird 954MHz, 128, 8GB
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

I'mDaMac
Senior User
May 22, 2001, 09:34 PM

Originally posted by Alexanthros:
The only pleasant surprise we can have at the MWNY is a PowerMac with AMD proccessors. I don't think Motorolla can take such a leap in speed .
If Macs had the power of the AMDs , software companies would look at the Mac platform as more future-certain(sorry for my english) and won't hesitate to write for it.
You mean a macusers worst nightmare. Putting AMD/Intel chips in a Macintosh would surely be the last ditch effort of a dying Apple. I'll take a dual 733 G4 over any AMD offering. AMD Athlons are great for PC's and that's where they should stay.

I don't think Moto would even be able to manage G4's over 866 much less over 1 GHZ. A nice dream though, and if Apple offered a dual config at MWNY I'd pre-order it as soon as Steve made the announcement.
Who'sDaMac?

NeoMac
Mac Elite
May 22, 2001, 09:34 PM

Just when you give up and buy the DUAL-533, they'll release the DUAL-733.
"Last time the French asked for more evidence, it rolled through France with a German flag." - David Letterman

iPad
May 22, 2001, 10:08 PM

And just when you get your dual G4/733, i'll have my dual Palomino (or Athlon4 so its caled now) 1.5Ghz+ on my desk

rambo47
Mac Elite
May 22, 2001, 11:34 PM

...and you'll be running Win98. Lucky you.

------------------

NeoMac
Mac Elite
May 23, 2001, 12:14 AM

He can't run Win98 on a DUAL CPU machine. It's not MP aware. He'll have to run Win2k or Linux. Even luckier. Root canal anyone?

I'mDaMac
Senior User
May 23, 2001, 12:25 AM

Originally posted by iPad:
And just when you get your dual G4/733, i'll have my dual Palomino (or Athlon4 so its caled now) 1.5Ghz+ on my desk
Hey, I was thinking about building a dual Athlon myself. It never hurts to own both platforms, plus PC's make great gaming machines.

[This message has been edited by I'mDaMac (edited 05-23-2001).]
Who'sDaMac?

OverclockedHomoSapien
Grizzled Veteran
May 23, 2001, 03:10 AM

Even a GHz G4 is unlikely for MWNY. 933Mhz tops, and that's a very optimistic prediction. Motorola chips don't grow on trees, you know!

[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1816.[/FONT]

Nimisys
Banned
May 23, 2001, 03:11 AM

actually i'll have TWO 1.5ghz Athlon4 Woskstation chips running on the tyan board =). i'll own your macs with that.

sure i'm running Win2k, and XP pro (got no problems with it now), and thats exactly why it won't be a MAC. for a painful as 2K is for you, OCX&9.1 are for me and more so.

as for apple runing PC harware it'll be that way in ten years. x87 darwin is the the testing stone. if it does well and gets drivers made for it, Apple will port the OS. by that time, all your software will be X based, so you won;'t have problems.

imacman11
May 23, 2001, 04:37 AM

Is that the XP Pro b?

Anyway, I think its time (yep) to move to big blue. IBM (part of our alliance , in case you forgot) is miles ahead of Moto. We need to be putting IBM G4 chips in. Not Moto G4 chips.

------------------
Thou shalt go forth and spread the iWord.
------------------
[email protected]
------------------
www.themacgod.com
------------------
Preparing the world for my brethren: The Dock Perverts.

ishtar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2001, 07:22 AM

Hi i'm new here but I have a question. I.ve used windows pcs for years and I'm getting tired of crashes lockups and corruption on my systems . I'm thinking about getting a g4 or g4 cube but can anyone here give me some advice? I like running the newest games with 3d acceleration so I'm probably going to get the 17 in monitor even though i like the flat tft screen or does it run crisp game graphics ? I don't want to spend a crap load of money on a system but i want something to play my games on.Also i see there are some pc emulators to run windows games and apps ect. anyone with exp in this area? any advice would be helpful.
Thank You

Ivan
Mac Enthusiast
May 24, 2001, 09:53 AM

you'll be very pleased that you got a Mac. The windows emulators work great on everything except gaming, I don't think they use the graphic acceration of the computer. If you want a great Mac and don't want to wait until MacWorld July then get the G4 466 mhz or I recommend the 533 Dual G4.

------------------
iMac DV 400 (Lime)
1.5 mb/ sec aDsL
OS 9.1 & OS X
Powerbook 1400cs/G3 333mhz (overclocked cache @ 222.1mhz)

capone
Forum Regular
May 24, 2001, 09:46 PM

In regards to the G4 vs AMD argument everyone is forgeting the most important factor. Vector Processing. Enough Said.

ishtar, you will be very happy with any mac 400 MHz or more and a Rage128 or Radeon. Thats more than enough for me.

------------------
-capone

G4/400 448 30,10 Rage128, Radeon
Performa 6116CD/60/700
Quadra AV
LC 575
LCIII
Apple IIgs

Visit MacNETv2, where you can voice all your Mac opinions freely.

OverclockedHomoSapien
Grizzled Veteran
May 24, 2001, 10:42 PM

Ishtar, if you're interested in gaming then get a Radeon. The Rage pro is a crap video card, no good for games. I'd get the 533MHz G4 powermac if you can afford it, but BTO with a Radeon. That will be the best gameing machine for your money. Faster than a cube, and you can always add a new video card later on if you like. As for a display, I'd go with a non-Apple monitor. You can pick up a quality 19" flat CRT for around $400.

Good luck, and welcome to the Mac platform!
[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1816.[/FONT]

zac4mac
Mac Elite
May 25, 2001, 12:36 AM

Until the bugs get ironed out of the 7450's, you won't see them in dual configs. They don't work.
7400's and 7410's can.

My DP550/Radeon/Orion screams.

Scott, get the DP533 and bump it to 600, it'll bring tears to your eyes.(mine too)

Zack

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
May 25, 2001, 12:56 AM

I don't overclock machines under warranty. (Cept my athlon, which is bios overclockable, so they can't prove I overclocked it)
It'd be cool if we had IBM Power4 chips in a Mac, but those are definitely not desktop chips.
They are too big and too hot.

Dual 533 will be fast enought for me, and combined with my other machines, should be enough to outcrunch zac4mac in RC5

------------------
G3 400, 384, 12 + 75 GB
PM 7100 - 66, 32, 700 MB
PM 6100 - 66, 40, 1 GB
And the lowest of all:
Athlon Thunderbird 1000MHz, 128, 8GB
My website

TheGreatButcher
Senior User
May 25, 2001, 02:57 AM

Why are you all worrying about clock speed when memory bandwidth will be a bottleneck anyway?

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
May 25, 2001, 03:19 AM

DDR Ram wanted too.
But for much of what I like to do, Ram speed isn't a huge issue.

------------------
G3 400, 384, 12 + 75 GB
PM 7100 - 66, 32, 700 MB
PM 6100 - 66, 40, 1 GB
And the lowest of all:
Athlon Thunderbird 1000MHz, 128, 8GB
My website

arbans
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2001, 09:16 AM

Originally posted by zac4mac:
Until the bugs get ironed out of the 7450's, you won't see them in dual configs. They don't work.
7400's and 7410's can.

Zack
What are some problems with the 7450's? Just want to be sure, but is that the chip used in the 733? Does this rule out any chance of seeing duals at MWNY?

wingdo
Senior User
May 25, 2001, 09:35 AM

Originally posted by Nimisys:
actually i'll have TWO 1.5ghz Athlon4 Woskstation chips running on the tyan board =). i'll own your macs with that.

sure i'm running Win2k, and XP pro (got no problems with it now), and thats exactly why it won't be a MAC. for a painful as 2K is for you, OCX&9.1 are for me and more so.

as for apple runing PC harware it'll be that way in ten years. x87 darwin is the the testing stone. if it does well and gets drivers made for it, Apple will port the OS. by that time, all your software will be X based, so you won;'t have problems.
And you belong to a Mac newsgroup beacuse .....?
MBP - 2.33GHz C2D, 3GB RAM, 256MB VRAM, 160GB HD
PB - 1.5GHz G4, 2GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 80GB HD
PM - Dual 1GHzG4, 1.5GB RAM, NVidia GForce 3, 2x 80 GB HD

Forum Links
Forum Rules