Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Predictions for today's hockey game:

Predictions for today's hockey game:
hayesk
Feb 24, 2002, 12:47 PM

I'm going to say Canada 4, USA 3. Although the teams are so closely matched, it could really go either way and I wouldn't be surprised.

Either way, both teams are great and deserve praise.

A question for Americans: When I was watching the women's hockey the other evening and Canada won, NBC immediately flipped coverage over to a rerun of skiing, even though their team just won a silver medal. They played well, and should at least be congratulated on the silver. Are american media ashamed of their athletes if they don't place first?

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2002, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by hayesk:
<STRONG>I'm going to say Canada 4, USA 3. Although the teams are so closely matched, it could really go either way and I wouldn't be surprised.

Either way, both teams are great and deserve praise.

A question for Americans: When I was watching the women's hockey the other evening and Canada won, NBC immediately flipped coverage over to a rerun of skiing, even though their team just won a silver medal. They played well, and should at least be congratulated on the silver. Are american media ashamed of their athletes if they don't place first?</STRONG>
I'm going to say Canada 3, USA 0. USA scored all their goals on the powerplay versus Russia, in my opinion the Canadian penalty kill has been amazing. And plus, our blue line is so much better than theirs, and our forwards will knock the US d-men around because Brooks wanted defensemen that could be "agile" and "see the ice".

And in regards to the womens hockey, NBC flipped over really quickly because they only had scheduled half an hour for that broadcast anyways, I'd assume that the station covering the entire game (CNBC) would probably have stayed for the medal presentation. But, the Americans really don't like losing when they are the favorites...

shmerek
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2002, 01:33 PM

If Canada plays like they did against Finland and the US plays like they did against Russian the US will get destroyed. But who knows how they will play? I say Canada will win by one goal.
&lt;gets down on knees and prays&gt;
please please win Canada please.
&lt;/gets down on knees and prays&gt;

Matsu
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2002, 01:49 PM

I dunno.

That is a good American team. Basically the same one that has played together for three major world tourneys. They play well together, have grit and great shooters.

Canada: an embarrasment of riches that has looked embarrasing. They should be much better than they've been till now, but they don't seem to gel. Bobbled passes, poor finishing, and the generally disorganized play of a team that is both unfamiliar with itself and with the surface. They tried to get pretty with Belarus, but missed a lot of chances even after they figures out that the Belarussian Goalkeep couldn't stop anything on the blocker side. They didn't finish against the Finns or the Chezcks. Too much long pass crap. They can't play that game. This doesn't mean they have to dump and chase, they can carry the puck with 3 or 4 passes instead of one long lead pass. I dunno if they will, but they've looked like crap coming up the neutral zone: they can't play the no red-line game, so they shouldn't try. What they have to do is go in there and bang on everything and everyone who so much as touches a puck. One deep, and agressive forechecking. Careful defence, speedier guy pinching, one guy back. Hit hit hit! No long pass. Remember if it goes to a dump and chase, this is an American team that can hit back!

I like the Americans. Especially after our Canadian girls won! The men are going to feel extra pressure. That ain't good, cause they have yet to look really composed. So, they ain't gonna win a skills competition if they've got frazzled nerves, sorry. They only way Canada wins is if they seriously out-play the Americans. Not an easy task, those guys have basically played hurt half their carreers. It's gonna take some major thumping to leave them winded at the end of the first.

Now, all rational thinking aside. GO CANADA!
Apple: bumping prices, not specs.

The Ginger Rat
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 24, 2002, 02:00 PM

It'll be tough if the goalies stand on their heads. Richter was awesome against the Russians.

I think the Canadians will win a close one, simply because they have been playing much better as the tournament progressed. But a hot goalie, a lucky bounce- can go either way.

I *want* a close exciting game that will leaving me jumping up and down and screaming to the last shot. Screw blowouts, and shootouts!

BTW, anyone know who the ref will be?

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2002, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by The Ginger Rat:
<STRONG>BTW, anyone know who the ref will be?</STRONG>
Probably Bill McCrerie (sp?)

Matsu
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2002, 02:08 PM

Speaking of frazzled nerves.

I hate shoot-outs, but if you really wanna feel nervous till the end of the game, then that's the way to go.

They shouldn't have shoot-outs (or penalty kicks for soccer). Many hockey (and soccer) tourneys have had great games ruined by those 'shoot-outs'

Why can't they just play sudden death untill the end? Especially for the final game.
Apple: bumping prices, not specs.

The Ginger Rat
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 24, 2002, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by Matsu:
<STRONG>Speaking of frazzled nerves.

I hate shoot-outs, but if you really wanna feel nervous till the end of the game, then that's the way to go.

They shouldn't have shoot-outs (or penalty kicks for soccer). Many hockey (and soccer) tourneys have had great games ruined by those 'shoot-outs'

Why can't they just play sudden death untill the end? Especially for the final game.</STRONG>
Agreed shootouts are exciting, but not for a medals or world championships.

Sudden death, yeah!

PeteL999
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 24, 2002, 03:15 PM

shootouts don't prove who the better team is. It just proves who can score on a easy breakaway. prediction canada 2 - usa 1
Are you or are you not the black angel of death

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2002, 03:41 PM

I think US:3 Canada:2. Actually I have no idea whatsoever. I'm rooting for the Canadians but I listen to that little tickle in my stomach that says the US is going to win.
weird wabbit

scottiB
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2002, 03:48 PM

Throughout the games, Canada seems to be skating with burden (naturally), and USA seems to be having fun--not a "happy to be here fun," a "drop the puck, and let's fly" fun.

My gut: USA 4, Canada 3 in the 5 minute OT, but not a shoot-out.

Goal scorers for Canada: Lindros, MacInnis (PP), and Gagne.
For USA: Poti, LeClair (2--GW), Weight

Both teams are pros; they'll both show-up.
-------------------------
Well, the boards are back up, and obviously I don't gamble that often

Five minutes in, I knew that my prognostication was dead: Canada was flying; the US was always a step or two behind.

[ 02-25-2002: Message edited by: scottiB ]
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Forum Links
Forum Rules