Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > The Burn button on iDVD, what to expect?

The Burn button on iDVD, what to expect?
tadd
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 5, 2002, 01:01 PM

OS X 10.1.2
PowerMac G4 QuickSilver
internal DVDR drive
In iDVD:

After creating a DVD project and while the background Encoding is still going on, I click the burn button and I get the "under construction" yellow and black. I then insert the included blank DVD (came with the computer). The Burn button changes back to it's little closed iris. I get switched to the finder and I get a pop up that says:

This DVD needs to be prepared for burning. Do you want to prepare this disk?
Name: untitled CD
Format: HFS+ DVD 4.2 GB
<Ignore> <Eject> <Prepare>
I'm trying to make a for component TV system DVD player DVD. I don't want something to be read by Macintoshes. What's the right choice here? Do I just wait for the background encoding to end? It seems that this encoding is going to take all night so I was going to go to bed and wake up to a finished DVD to take to work. Perhaps, as usual, I'm just being impatient.
It's amazing that Apple has already managed to come up with an application that brings a dual 1000Mhz G4 machine to it's knees. Amazing.

Thanks for any help

Technicolor
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 7, 2002, 03:48 AM

I'm no expert on this but when I burn DVD's, I wait for the encoding to finish, then I hit the "Burn" button, it asks for the DVD, then I pop it in and it goes. I think if you put the DVD in before iDVD is ready it thinks you want to make a data DVD, hence the pop-up in the Finder.

Although I haven't had to deal with it, I've heard of iDVD spending a full day encoding a project. Anybody know why it takes so long?

KidRed
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2002, 04:46 AM

Tadd- wait for iDVD to finish first.

Technicolor- all day? haha, took me 1/2 hour to burn my first dvd. It had 3 2-4 minute clips and 3 slide shows. I can't see how it would be all day unless it's on an older mac or maybe with iDVD 1.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Technicolor
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 7, 2002, 05:09 AM

Yeah, believe it or not. My friend was putting together a wedding video, it was a full 90 minute project. He edited it all together in Final Cut and then finished it up in iDVD2. He told me it had taken an entire day to encode for the DVD burn. I was shocked because it's never taken that long on my machine but then again, my DVD's only have a few minutes worth of footage. He uses a dual 800 too. I thought it might have been something with the file format that Final Cut exports. You know when you export from iMovie it does the compression to Quicktime right there but I don't know if Final Cut prepares it the same way.

[ 02-07-2002: Message edited by: Technicolor ]

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 7, 2002, 06:59 AM

I stuck the blank DVD in the drive before I was ready to burn and up popped the dialog box that said something along the lines of "I need to prepare this disc" - i said ok, and selected the only option - HFS+, I think.

I crafted my project in iMovie and had one 11 minute movie with a few transitions and a complete soundtrack and one slide show with about 50 pictures. I created a menu with iDVD and then encoded and burned. I didn't stick around for the entire process, but it was well under an hour - it could have been 22 minutes and change for all I know. The encoding was generally 1:1 - I hope the burning was faster, but is sure didn't take hours and hours. Using a stock 512 DP 1 gHz machine.

DVD works great. There were no problems with the fact that I stuck the disc in the drive first.

It plays well on my G4DP, XBOX, Windows machine, and Toshiba commercial DVD player.

:->

KidRed
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2002, 07:17 AM

Originally posted by Technicolor:
<STRONG>Yeah, believe it or not. My friend was putting together a wedding video, it was a full 90 minute project. He edited it all together in Final Cut and then finished it up in iDVD2. He told me it had taken an entire day to encode for the DVD burn. I was shocked because it's never taken that long on my machine but then again, my DVD's only have a few minutes worth of footage. He uses a dual 800 too. I thought it might have been something with the file format that Final Cut exports. You know when you export from iMovie it does the compression to Quicktime right there but I don't know if Final Cut prepares it the same way.

[ 02-07-2002: Message edited by: Technicolor ]</STRONG>
I've never used iDVD before so I wasn't sure how to maek the mini-clips for it. So in iMovie, I 'saved for iDVD' each little movie. Sucks when you have one huge iMovie project and you just want to make 5 little clips out of it. I had to create the movie, then save then delete it and start on the next batch. Should be a way to make multiple movies from one iMovie file.

Anyway, took about 1/2 hour to burn so maybe iDVD is meant for iMovie, and DVD Studio Pro is meant for Final Cut Pro?
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Forum Links
Forum Rules