Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 9.1 speed and machine compatibility?

OS 9.1 speed and machine compatibility?
gruntwork
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2001, 07:08 AM

I have about a dozen Macs that are running a number of systems and am thinking of upgrading them all to the same system to make maintenance and troubleshooting easier.

Two questions for you early adaptors:

1) I've read a number of times that OS 9.1 is a lot faster than OS 9.0.x. How does it compare to OS 8.6, e.g. on a first-generation iMac?

2) Apple says OS 9.1 is not compatible with 3rd party machines or upgraded ones. I have two PowerMacs 7500s that have been upgraded to G3s, one with a JoeCard, one with a Sonnet card. What's your experience with OS 9.1 and upgraded hardware? I'd really like to keep the machines because of the AV interfaces.

Thanks for any insights.

[This message has been edited by gruntwork (edited 01-18-2001).]

dbergstrom
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2001, 12:42 AM

9.1 seems speedy on a iMac Rev. A. I always had more problems with 8.6 than successes, so I would definitely recommend it.

I'm also running 9.1 on 2 upgraded machines. My Wallstreet has a PowerLogix BlueChip. This upgrade does not require any extensions, and as you would expect, it runs fine with 9.1. My Beige G3 Tower has a NewerTech G4 upgrade and has an extension that loads at start-up. 9.1 is also fine on this system.

I would recommend the update - more PPC code, better memory management (no leaks), good network performance - a real winner.
Don

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Jan 19, 2001, 06:24 PM

I've got an external SCSI drive I just setup with 9.1 and it runs perfectly on a 9600. I'll report back after Monday, I'll have a 9100 and an 8500 to plug up to and see what happens.

------------------
- Eric
- Eric

NewPismoOwner
Jan 19, 2001, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by gruntwork:
2) Apple says OS 9.1 is not compatible with 3rd party machines or upgraded ones. I have two PowerMacs 7500s that have been upgraded to G3s, one with a JoeCard, one with a Sonnet card. What's your experience with OS 9.1 and upgraded hardware? I'd really like to keep the machines because of the AV interfaces.
I don't know what experiences others have had but my dad recently updated his 6500 to 9.1. He's got a Sonnet Crescendo G3 card and hasn't had any problems. Not even the "Big System Morsel" error that I had when I updated my Pismo 500.
"PC Load Letter? What the f--- does that mean?"

TriPhaze
Jan 20, 2001, 05:30 PM

9.1 running beautifully on an 8500/180 (233MHz 604e CPU). I have 128MB of RAM and a Rage Orion card. It's like I got a whole new computer.

Apple is bloody brilliant

snodman
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2001, 06:34 PM

Right! I installed on a Yikes G4 and it is a fairly nice improvement, more stable, etc., but I also just upgraded my old PCI power Mac (a 7600) and that box is WAY faster under 9.1 than 9.04. It bowls you over how much faster things load and how much faster startups and networking are now.

Cotton
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2001, 08:51 PM

9.1 seems faster and more stable so far. imac DV 400.

Forum Links
Forum Rules