Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Random Startup Crashes Cured

Random Startup Crashes Cured
mrmd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2001, 10:12 PM

I was getting random startup crashes since I upgraded to 9.1. I solved the problem by turning off the memory test in the memory control panel. Just open the control panel while holding down the option-command keys. There will be a memory test option, just click off. Hope it works for you too.

spicyjeff
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 2, 2001, 01:43 PM

Ok, so let me get this straight, not only does your memory not pass the test...it fails it so bad that it crashes!

If I were you I would not trust the integrity of your data with that memory. Turning off a warning mechanism is not the cure to the problem, that was just a symptom of something being wrong with your memory.

Or you could just have a screwed System Tome and need to reinstall so the memory check funstions properly. Either way I don't think turning it off and forgeting about it was the best idea.

mrmd  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2001, 10:14 AM

I agree with your analysis in theory, but I am still concerned that the memory test protocol may be somewhat to blame for the random crashes reported under 9.1. My system seems to pass all tests with Norton's and Techtool, and my 9.1 was installed as a clean install. In addition, I had almost no crashing under 9.0.4.

mrmd  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2001, 11:47 AM

Well.....on reconsideration........
I discovered that if I click my memory test back on but unplug my Gravis USB Eliminator Gamepad Pro when I startup the crashes are completely gone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules