Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Calling all experts! this is a gooden!

Calling all experts! this is a gooden!
Devo
Oct 6, 2000, 03:31 PM

I have an interesting project for you guys and gurls,

I am using a Performa 6320 120mhz 603e system, with 40mb ram, 1.2gb hard disk. Although its the mhz i want to concentrate on.

i would like to clock the cpu, but its not as easy as it sounds...

1� All the guides on the internet for clocking a 6300 series performa never include the 6320. They will say for example: "I got a 75mhz 603e upto 100mhz!" I have been given URLS's like this many times so i need to make it clear that my starting speed is 120mhz (as it was when new)

2� if some 6300 series macs can be clocked, then it's a good sign this one can ?

3� I have little experience with this sort of project, but i know i will probably need to remove resistors to allow more current to the cpu. Also i guess i might need a new fan.

4� There is no thermometer in the cpu so i don't want to risk putting it up too high, maybe 20/30 mhz? is that possible?

If anyone can give me URL's, pdf's, guides, or communicate with me directly on how i might perform this operation i would be very greatful.

Thank in Advance. Eddie.

Tim Michael (finboy)
Oct 6, 2000, 05:35 PM

www.xlr8yourmac.com

If it isn't there, it can't be done.

Good luck. YOu may be able to upgrade to a G3 (since it's a 63xx) and that would be much more productive and less risky.

Devo
Oct 6, 2000, 05:55 PM

Yeah i've tried there, and i've posted on there forum.

I didn't find anything there though, just stuff for the Performa 6300 as i said earlier.

ALso there are no g3 upgrades as my mac uses an LC PDS slot, an old unsupported Slot. i think they only made a tv card for it.

Thanks for replying though, Eddie.

jeffreyloaf
Oct 6, 2000, 07:42 PM

Devo go here http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~schrier/mhz.html
and here http://www.bekkoame.ne.jp/~t-imai/pm53e1.html
They are links for the older machines that can be overclocked.
I also have the same machine. But I have let a friend use it ever since my B&W G3 moved in. It has OS 9.0.4 on it with a 10 gig hard drive. I thought about the overclocking bit but gave up for I wanted it to live a full life. But I have added a pds card that is for a second monitor.

And after searching my favorites for awhile and I found a site for Performas and it has messege boards. http://performa.macland.net/

Good luck. Jeff
In god we trust/ Cash is king /All others pay thru the nose

Devo
Oct 6, 2000, 08:09 PM

Thank you very much for your reply jeff,

the performa site looks interesting, will read in detail!

The other 2 links share the same pages for alot of the info, which only covers the 6300 machine - i'm still trying to hunt one down for my specific model.

btw, i'm curious, where did you find a video pds card for your performa?, i found one company that used to, but they discontinued wonder if you could please give me a model name for it?

Eddie.

Forum Links
Forum Rules