Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Best Browser?

Best Browser?
Mr Mushroom
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2004, 08:27 PM

I get my new Powerbook on Friday (My first Mac), and I am wondering - what is the best internet browser to use?

I hear that the built in browser is very good, but are there any other options that are better?

Any advice, as always is much appreciated

rastatero
Jul 26, 2004, 08:29 PM

1st runner up: Omniweb
2nd runner up: Mozilla Firefox

-- Tony

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2004, 08:34 PM

Originally posted by rastatero:
1st runner up: Mozilla Firefox
2nd runner up: Omniweb

-- Tony
fixed

Mr Mushroom  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2004, 08:41 PM

So I should stick with Safari?

Is Omniweb a free program?

Thanks

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2004, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by Mr Mushroom:
So I should stick with Safari?

Is Omniweb a free program?

Thanks
Omniweb is not free (but you can demo it for a while). Safari is free and good -- so is Firefox (or regular ole Mozilla). Internet Exploder is, unfortunately, probably good to keep around too for the occasional site that only works with IE. Give Safari a try ... its really quite good. What did you use on Windows ?? IE only or other ones too ? If you've used Firefox or Mozilla on Windows, the Mac versions will be very familiar. For that matter, if you've used Firefox, Safari will seem very similar.

cpac
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2004, 08:56 PM

Omniweb is free to try, but costs money for a license. Student rates are available. Those of us that prefer omniweb find the cost more than worth it.

More to the point, opinions vary widely as to what the best browser is, the best for you may be different from other people. Options include:

Safari (free, built-in)
OmniWeb (free to try, fee for license, FULL FEATURED)
IE (free, good for those sites that only work with IE)
Netscape
Mozilla
Camino (mozilla engine w/ native cocoa interface)
FireFox (mozilla engine w/ plug-ins)
Opera
iCab

I'd suggest downloading any that you may be interested in, and giving them a try for a day or two to see which you prefer. (If you want other people's opinion, there are lots and lots and LOTS of threads on the comparative merits of the various browsers - just do a quick search)
cpac

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2004, 09:01 PM

1.) Safari
2.) Camino
3.) FireFox
4.) OmniWeb

Just my personal favorites in that order...

albook
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2004, 03:22 AM

1. Mozilla Firefox.
2. Safari.
3. Camino.
4. Shiira.

xmacintosh
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2004, 07:12 AM

I like Safari. I like OmniWeb too, but it lacks a image properties option...

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2004, 07:40 AM

1. Safari
2. Firefox

Zadian
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 27, 2004, 08:06 AM

I get my new Powerbook on Friday (My first Mac), and I am wondering - what is the best internet browser to use?
There are many good browsers for Mac OS X.
I wouldn't say, that there is something like "the best browser". All browsers (Mozilla, Safari, Camino, Firefox, OmniWeb...) are good and the decision, which is the best for you, depends on the personal preferences and use.

Just try all and decide which one suits your needs best.

(I'm very happy with Safari and Camino - but that's personal taste)

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2004, 08:47 AM

1. Firefox
2. Safari

I never understood the whole buzz around Omniweb, I don't like it all. It's quite slow. If it was faster it would rock tough.

Turias
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2004, 09:44 AM

Originally posted by cpac:
Safari (free, built-in)
OmniWeb (free to try, fee for license, FULL FEATURED)
IE (free, good for those sites that only work with IE)
Netscape
Mozilla
Camino (mozilla engine w/ native cocoa interface)
FireFox (mozilla engine w/ plug-ins)
Opera
iCab
Couple comments:

1) I don't really think IE is necessary, anymore. Are there really any sites out there that don't work with Mozilla? I haven't encountered one in a long time. Check to make sure that your online banking works with Safari or Mozilla. If it does, you really should never have to launch IE again.

2) Firefox isn't mozilla with plugins. It's a stripped down version of mozilla that is basically just the browser without the bloat that the original mozilla was starting to accumulate. Unless the plugin architecture has completely changed, you should be able to use all the same plugins in both browsers.

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 27, 2004, 10:00 AM

1. Safari
2. Camino
3. Firefox

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2004, 11:26 AM

If you're at all interested in ad blocking, you should know that it looks like Pithhelmet, the 3rd party ad blocker for Safari, may soon be going shareware. I don't know how that will play out, but it may soon be that the only free browser with free ad blocking is Firefox (via the Adblock extension).

Firefox is my favorite, followed by Safari. I find Firefox to be slightly faster than Safari when on dialup, and I like the extra functionality available to Firefox through extensions (and just in general--Safari seems too simplified to me).

Mr Mushroom  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 27, 2004, 11:50 AM

Thanks for all the advice on this so far.

To answer your question, Yes I most certainly will want some kind of AD-blocking, but I am perfectly happy to pay for a browser if neccesary.

Does Omniweb have Ad-blocking?

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2004, 11:53 AM

safari, with pithhelmet.
great browser, minimal ads.

(& safari enhancer, to import bookmarks, disable the cache, remove underlines from links etc)

versiontracker is your friend...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 27, 2004, 12:34 PM

Failed Engineer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2004, 12:44 PM

Thanks for all the advice on this so far.

To answer your question, Yes I most certainly will want some kind of AD-blocking, but I am perfectly happy to pay for a browser if neccesary.

Does Omniweb have Ad-blocking?
The Mac platform today is IMO light years ahead of Windows in the web browsing catagory, largely due to Omniweb, Safari, Shiira, and Camino.

You owe it to yourself to hammer all the browsers before making a choice, and Onmiweb in particular. If you are willing to pay for a browser, Omniweb may be for you. It just depends on how much you use the two killer features of the software: Workspaces and per-site preferences. You won't find either of these in any browser on any platform (although I'm sure they'll be "borrowed" in the future). Workspaces took a little while to get used to but now I miss them ALOT when I am on Windows or use another browser. Per-site preferences are good for so many things it would be futile to list them. The only problem I see with Omniweb is that it is difficult to use on a 12' iBook screen.

Safari is good, but Safari+Pithhelmet is kinda slow, and browsing without Pithhelmet is annoying. Camino+CSS adblocking is another awesome combination (my second choice). Plus it looks like it is actively being developed again.

Another factor to consider is if you like mouse gestures (I do, because I came from Opera in Windows) there is a cool free program called Cocoa Gestures which allow you to specify any gestures you want in any cocoa program. It's especially good on a laptop (you said you were getting a powerbook) because you can specify the trigger key which you can't in Mozilla and Firefox. I have the trigger key set as FN only (no mouse click) which makes making gestures super easy on a laptop. The reason I mention this is that I ruled out any non cocoa as primary browsers. These are Mozilla, Firefox, IE and Opera. Firefox is very good if you don't use gestures and should be looked at.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2004, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by nooon:
no need to pay for ad-blocking, people.
You can't do regular expression-based blocking with CSS, though, can you? If you can't, then the Adblock extension for Firefox gives you a lot more flexibility.

Also note that there is a mouse gestures extension (ah! the power of extensions) available for Firefox: http://update.mozilla.org/extensions...x&id=12&vid=13

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 27, 2004, 01:36 PM

1) OmniWeb 5.0RC2
2) Safari
3) FireFox
4) IE

BZ

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 27, 2004, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by Powaqqatsi:
[BI never understood the whole buzz around Omniweb, I don't like it all. It's quite slow. If it was faster it would rock tough. [/B]
Try the newest release... I doubt will think it slow.

http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omniweb/5/beta/

BZ

badtz
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2004, 02:46 AM

is there a reason to use firefox if you're using camino?

[wouldn't they both render the same?]

Sarc
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2004, 03:40 AM

1) Opera 7.5
2) Firefox
3) Safari
4) OmniWeb
5) IE
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2004, 09:01 AM

Originally posted by badtz:
is there a reason to use firefox if you're using camino?

[wouldn't they both render the same?]

Yes. Extensions. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Camino can't use them. Adblock is fantastic, as is the Web Developer toolbar. And there are tons more out there.

Plus there is the fact that Firefox (with Thunderbird) is the future of Mozilla.org. Camino's future is uncertain at best.

Amorya
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2004, 09:08 AM

Originally posted by xmacintosh:
I like Safari. I like OmniWeb too, but it lacks a image properties option...
Erm.. hit command-I. It gives you a list of images on the page, including sizes and stuff.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 28, 2004, 09:20 AM

Originally posted by BZ:
Try the newest release... I doubt will think it slow.

http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omniweb/5/beta/

BZ
Well I sure thought it was slow..

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2004, 09:43 AM

Normally I don't chime in on these threads, but I'm so completely sold on OmniWeb that I have to. While I realize it's not for everyone, if you surf a lot, OW has tons of features that will rock your world. I don't think I could use another browser regularly that doesn't have saved states, OmniTabs, address bar shortcuts, and so on. It even has bookmark syncing that works on any WebDAV disk, .Mac or otherwise. Give it a shot -- if you don't like it, that's fine. But at least give it a try.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

badtz
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2004, 04:01 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
Yes. Extensions. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Camino can't use them. Adblock is fantastic, as is the Web Developer toolbar. And there are tons more out there.

Plus there is the fact that Firefox (with Thunderbird) is the future of Mozilla.org. Camino's future is uncertain at best.

is Thunderbird the mail/news program that comes with mozilla?

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2004, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by badtz:
is Thunderbird the mail/news program that comes with mozilla?
It's derived from the mail/news functionality in Mozilla, yes, but it doesn't "come with" Mozilla. The idea is to split the web browsing and mail/news functions of Mozilla into two apps--Firefox and Thunderbird. Supposedly they will be discontinuing Mozilla at some point after Firefox and Thunderbird hit 1.0.

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 28, 2004, 07:09 PM

I'm so hooked on OW5 that I can't really use other browsers for any serious surfing. Their tab system combined with workspaces is extremely powerful. Add in site specific preferences for text size, ad blocking, and other things with a dash of webdav based bookmarks that will check for updates (RSS too) and a sprinkle of insanely great history search straight from the location bar and you've got a winner.

It does a ton of other stuff too, but you should really just try it out. Latest versions are very stable and fast, even with 30 or 40 tabs open.

-matt

drainyoo
Senior User
Jul 28, 2004, 09:41 PM

Firefox is nice but its a long way from being an everyday browser. I would say just use Safari. Its a great browser.
i hate project managers.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2004, 02:34 AM

Originally posted by drainyoo:
Firefox is nice but its a long way from being an everyday browser.
How's that? It's stable, fast, and feature-rich. What more could you want?

FL!PNEUS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2004, 05:29 AM

How's that? It's stable, fast, and feature-rich. What more could you want?
A native Mac OS X interface.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2004, 08:49 AM

Originally posted by FL!PNEUS:
A native Mac OS X interface.
And why in the world would that be important? It already looks very nice, and if you don't like the default look you can theme it. If you'd rather it be Carbon or Cocoa, I have to ask "why?" There is nothing inherently superior to them over XUL. In fact they're more restrictive in a way because they don't allow theming. Also, Firefox is infinitely more native than most open source cross-platform apps, which generally will only run under X11.

I think the interface is the worst excuse I've ever heard for discounting Firefox. And I've got news for you: It will never change. The whole point of using XUL is to provide a consistent UI engine across all the platforms Firefox runs on. If you're waiting for them to "nativize" the OS X version, you will be waiting forever.

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2004, 09:57 AM

No question about it... Safari.
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

cpac
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2004, 11:36 AM

... So you see - everybody's got their opinion. LIke I said, you're best off just downloading a bunch of browsers, trying them out, and seeing which one you like best.
cpac

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jul 29, 2004, 11:56 AM

And why in the world would that be important? It already looks very nice, and if you don't like the default look you can theme it. If you'd rather it be Carbon or Cocoa, I have to ask "why?" There is nothing inherently superior to them over XUL. In fact they're more restrictive in a way because they don't allow theming. Also, Firefox is infinitely more native than most open source cross-platform apps, which generally will only run under X11.

I think the interface is the worst excuse I've ever heard for discounting Firefox. And I've got news for you: It will never change. The whole point of using XUL is to provide a consistent UI engine across all the platforms Firefox runs on. If you're waiting for them to "nativize" the OS X version, you will be waiting forever.
Then use Linux if the interface is not an important part of your computing experience.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2004, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by Horsepoo!!!:
Then use Linux if the interface is not an important part of your computing experience.
That's ridiculous. There is more to Mac OS X than the appearance of the interface. My point was that Firefox's interface is not a detractor, and even if it is, Firefox more than makes up for it with functionality.

In my opinion, Safari is much uglier than Firefox.

F_Elz
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 29, 2004, 12:32 PM

I am getting annoyed with people who hate non-native apps. Since when are looks important? Was OS 9 that good looking?

Turias
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2004, 12:39 PM

Do you really think this looks so bad?

http://kmgerich.com/pinstripe/screen...abbrowsing.png

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2004, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by Turias:
Do you really think this looks so bad?

http://kmgerich.com/pinstripe/screen...abbrowsing.png
That screenshot is a bit misleading because it has an older version of the Pinstripe theme. The new one has, by default, more colorful icons that some people don't like (they've grown on me). But that's why it's themeable!

pliny
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2004, 01:29 PM

for stripped down gecko goodness i'd pick camino over firefox anyday, firefox is a good browser but doesn't always work on os x machiens, i always read about it not even starting up, or bookmark eating problems, and then of course there is the nasty un-Mac interface with the wonderful XP icon design and the "apply" radio button--crap did I say interface, oh oh!
i look in your general direction

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jul 29, 2004, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by F_Elz:
I am getting annoyed with people who hate non-native apps. Since when are looks important? Was OS 9 that good looking?
Consistency is important. It's what makes the Mac. The whole point of the Mac GUI in 1984 was that once you knew how one app worked...you pretty much knew how all the other apps worked.

When things don't behave the same way, some people get confused (my mother does.) I'm not saying Firefox has a bad GUI...it's ok, but it's not native and doesn't exactly work the same way as a good Carbon app or Cocoa app.

Looks aren't so important (although interface elements that do the same thing *should* look the same)...but behavior is very important.

Java apps, XML skinned apps, shoddy carbon ports...these all behave or look different and therefore are not exemplary apps. If people continue to accept these apps, OS X will become another Windows or *gasp* Linux.

I'm not afraid to say it, I HATE non-native apps and with good reasons.

I don't care how featureful an app is...if it doesn't come with an easy-to-use and familiar interface, it goes into the mesh trash can.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2004, 02:30 PM

I think the interface is the worst excuse I've ever heard for discounting Firefox.
Ever hear of why people like Cocoa apps? (Built in Spell checking for forms, Services, ect..) That's why I stay away from Gecko browsers

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2004, 02:30 PM

As non-native apps go though, Firefox is one of the better ones. My complaints are more that it doesn't have Safari's autofill feature. It's Google text entry field isn't resizable like Safari's. It doesn't have spell checking like Safari by default. (I looked for the plug in a while back but never got it to work right for some reason) I also like the way Safari handles tabs better.

I use Firefox at work on my PC as my primary browser. But I think Safari is head and shoulders above it IMO.

I also think Safari's bookmark editing is far more intuitive and easy.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2004, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by pliny:
for stripped down gecko goodness i'd pick camino over firefox anyday, firefox is a good browser but doesn't always work on os x machiens, i always read about it not even starting up, or bookmark eating problems, and then of course there is the nasty un-Mac interface with the wonderful XP icon design and the "apply" radio button--crap did I say interface, oh oh!
The startup problems have been fixed. This is beta software, after all. Some bugs are to be expected. I've never had "bookmark eating" problems either. If you're referring to the effects of some shoddily-coded extensions, the "disappearance" is completely temporary, and everything goes back to normal when you remove the offending extension.

Actually you're dead wrong on the "XP icon design." The Mac theme, Pinstripe, was designed specially for the Mac version of Firefox. It is so good that a modified version, dubbed "Winstripe" was made for the Windows version. From there, a mere 4 icons were changed in Pinstripe to achieve better cross-platform unity. So in this case, the Windows version was inspired by the Mac version, not the other way around.

And what are you talking about with the "apply radio button crap?" I honestly have no idea.
Originally posted by King Bob On The Cob:
Ever hear of why people like Cocoa apps? (Built in Spell checking for forms, Services, ect..) That's why I stay away from Gecko browsers
Why not actually learn how to spell? That's a better solution that helps prevent laziness. Yes, it would be nice if Firefox had spellchecking like Safari does, but I don't think it's that big an issue. And the lack of spellchecking has nothing to do with the rendering engine being Gecko.
Consistency is important. It's what makes the Mac. The whole point of the Mac GUI in 1984 was that once you knew how one app worked...you pretty much knew how all the other apps worked.

When things don't behave the same way, some people get confused (my mother does.) I'm not saying Firefox has a bad GUI...it's ok, but it's not native and doesn't exactly work the same way as a good Carbon app or Cocoa app.

Looks aren't so important (although interface elements that do the same thing *should* look the same)...but behavior is very important.

Java apps, XML skinned apps, shoddy carbon ports...these all behave or look different and therefore are not exemplary apps. If people continue to accept these apps, OS X will become another Windows or *gasp* Linux.

I'm not afraid to say it, I HATE non-native apps and with good reasons.

I don't care how featureful an app is...if it doesn't come with an easy-to-use and familiar interface, it goes into the mesh trash can.
Firefox's UI is very consistent with other OS X apps! In fact it is more so than Safari in some ways. Its toolbar is customizable in the same way that other non-brushed metal apps are. Safari's toolbar? Customizable in a very non-standard way. It uses sheets, just like Safari. Its throbber is the standard OS X spinning grey lines thingy! What more do you want? Safari is also non-standard in other ways: It is the only brushed metal browser out there. Why in the world is it brushed metal!? It has the progress meter inside the URL field, whereas every other browser in the world has it at the bottom of the window. I'm sure there are more inconsistencies I could point out.

The miniscule differences that do exist are completely immaterial to Firefox's worth as a web browser or its "worthiness" as an OS X app.
Originally posted by clarkgoble:
My complaints are more that it doesn't have Safari's autofill feature.
Yes, it does have autofill. It just doesn't draw from the Address Book or Keychain.
( Last edited by wataru; Jul 29, 2004 at 03:54 PM. )

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jul 29, 2004, 03:51 PM

Why not actually learn how to spell? That's a better solution. Yes, it would be nice if Firefox had spellchecking like Safari does, but I don't think it's that big an issue. And the lack of spellchecking has nothing to do with the rendering engine being Gecko.
Why couldn't someone learn how to spell AS WELL as have spellchecking handy to catch spelling mistakes or typos. You can't magically know how to spell every single word in the dictionary overnight. I don't understand why these two concepts can't coexist.

To you, it might not be a big thing...just like user interfaces...but to others it might be very important.

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2004, 05:52 PM

Why not actually learn how to spell? That's a better solution that helps prevent laziness. Yes, it would be nice if Firefox had spellchecking like Safari does, but I don't think it's that big an issue.

Yeah. Next up lets get rid of spell checking for Word Processors. After all people should just learn to spell...

Seriously though. When replying in various blogs or forums like this one I type very fast and often make typos. I'm typically not looking at what I'm typing. It is *very* nice to have my typos underlined or words that I rarely use. Being able to right click on the word is amazingly nice. This is still the #1 reason I pick Safari as the best browser ever.

As the above poster said though, it may depend upon what you tend to do on the web. If you don't compose on the web much then I can see why it wouldn't be a big deal.

But overall it seems like there isn't anything FireFox does that Safari doesn't and a lot Safari does that FireFox doesn't. On XP where FireFox is my browser I'm *constantly* wishing for Safari features and UI.

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2004, 06:16 PM

You can't magically know how to spell every single word in the dictionary overnight.
No, but most of them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules