Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > AutoCad for Mac?

AutoCad for Mac?
Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2004, 08:44 PM

A friend wants to buy a Mac... badly..... but for what he does he NEEDS AutoCad or compatible software.

Does anyone know of any?
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2004, 09:04 PM

http://www.nemetschek.net/

VectorWorks 11

My Dad uses it, and all his associates swear by it.

Mac Guru

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2004, 09:31 PM

I did sign a survey from AutoCAD about porting it to the Mac... so hopefully they will soon.

Webscreamer  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2004, 11:20 PM

Thanks for the reply's

They DO have plans for porting?

And Vectorworks 11 is exactly like AutoCad?

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2004, 11:21 PM

1. I doubt AutoCad will be ported to the Mac.
2. VW isn't much like AutoCad, for better or for worse. It can read, with varying levels of success, native .dwg files.
3. It is possible to run, say AutoCad r.14 in Virtual PC.

Webscreamer  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2004, 11:23 PM

I guess he'll have to get a PC from the sounds of it

cewade
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2004, 12:56 AM

This is very depressing to hear

I mainly purchased my powerbook for the many classes I'm aking next year that will require m e to be at a computer as much as possible, one such class is my Engineering Drawing (AutoCAD) Class. I still have a Windows machine I can use to draw at home, but the convenience of a laptop would have been much, much better. Oh well, I still get to program and type the research aper that decides if I graduate
12" Powerbook G4

Busemann
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2004, 09:46 AM

The people I've talked to that has switched from AutoCad on PC to VW on Mac say they never would go back. From what it sounds like to me (no first hand knowledge though), it seems Autocad is losing popularity on the PC side.

Anyways, VW 11 is a lot better at working with dwg files with multiple classes than earlier versions, so working cross-platform shouldn't be a (big) problem.

misc
Sep 17, 2004, 10:01 AM

In my opinion VW is tons better than AutoCad. ArchiCad is also available for mac. Both can import .dwgs.

For my design major there is a draw between what design program is taught. Depending on what school you go to and what the teacher prefers will be what you learn. I've had friends who were turned down for jobs because they knew AutoCad and not VW and vice versa. As a side note, the school I plan to go to teaches us VW.

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

JKT
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2004, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by Webscreamer:
A friend wants to buy a Mac... badly..... but for what he does he NEEDS AutoCad or compatible software.

Does anyone know of any?
For more info, click the "Architosh" link at the very top of this page.

jeffB
Sep 17, 2004, 11:17 AM

before i drop a lot of money to see how VW handles .dwg drawn by my customers, how can i test it. VWviewer will not open .dwg for me.
( Last edited by jeffB; Sep 17, 2004 at 11:26 AM. )

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2004, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by cewade:
This is very depressing to hear

I mainly purchased my powerbook for the many classes I'm aking next year that will require m e to be at a computer as much as possible, one such class is my Engineering Drawing (AutoCAD) Class. I still have a Windows machine I can use to draw at home, but the convenience of a laptop would have been much, much better. Oh well, I still get to program and type the research aper that decides if I graduate
My girlfriend did all of her AutoCAD classes and drawings on a powerbook 867 in virtual PC 5. It was slower than on a fast new PC, but it was very usable. I'm guessing with the new powerbooks and virtual pc 7 it will be even better.

-matt

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2004, 12:16 PM

AutoCad is, unfortunately, one of those absolutely critical programs, in that if you really need it then nothing else will do. This is especially true if you need to work with AutoCad data, and many engineers need to do exactly this.

Many moons ago, a port of AutoCad existed for the Mac. However, they abandoned the platform so long ago that this port isn't likely to do you any good. Even finding it isn't going to be easy.

Your only hope, I'm afraid, is Virtual PC. I'm not sure that's a wise choice for a CAD package, though, to be honest. It's not likely to run fast enough.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2004, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by jeffB:
before i drop a lot of money to see how VW handles .dwg drawn by my customers, how can i test it. VWviewer will not open .dwg for me.
You could try a VW dealer, a plot center, a user club...
Or drop a message here : [email protected]
It's an international VW mailing list with some helpfull people - perhaps you'll find someone in your neighbourhood.
As an everyday VW user myself, I export/import DWG quite often. VW11 has improved a lot compared to VW10. Depending on the Acad user pen width/line colour is about the only thing I need to check.

Stuncle Eve
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2004, 12:01 AM

Have a look at PowerCADD - we went from windows & AutoCAD to Mac & VW, to Mac & VPC & AutoCAD, finally to Mac & PowerCADD, & it's great.

http://www.engsw.com/

Neo.cmg
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2004, 03:58 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
AutoCad is, unfortunately, one of those absolutely critical programs, in that if you really need it then nothing else will do. This is especially true if you need to work with AutoCad data, and many engineers need to do exactly this.

Many moons ago, a port of AutoCad existed for the Mac. However, they abandoned the platform so long ago that this port isn't likely to do you any good. Even finding it isn't going to be easy.

Your only hope, I'm afraid, is Virtual PC. I'm not sure that's a wise choice for a CAD package, though, to be honest. It's not likely to run fast enough.
If you are an engineer in this day and age, and engineering students should pay particular attention here, then AutoCAD is outdated. Very few engineering firms invest in AutoCAD, and many technical schools have yet to catch up due to the cost of software licensing fees. No one in industry uses AutoCAD, unless you are in some type of architecture/civil engineering discipline or you are a very small private firm. That being said, AutoCAD is still being taught in schools, because the basic principles of CAD drawings can still be taught through use of the program. However, industry has moved on to 3-D modeler programs such as Pro-E, Catia, and Unisys. Unfortunately, neither of these programs works with the Mac either. But for your CAD courses within school, use the computer lab computers there on campus, and forget buying a piece of CAD software for your Mac, or coupling AutoCAD with VirtualPC. You're wasting your time and money.

NASA has a lot of influence within the software community, and they have a list of software that they want ported to the Mac platform, because it has been their platform of choice for awhile now. Eventually, I imagine we'll see a nice 3-D modeler application ported to the Mac, but for now use the PCs available to you. Apps like VectorWorks are barely usable for engineering work, and they are geared towards Architects.

Neo.cmg

BuonRotto
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2004, 05:18 PM

AutoCAD is crap, the worst CAD platform out there. If all these enigneering firms really are changing their platforms, I can't imagine why architects continue to be suckered into using it. I've used half a dozen comparable platforms for architecture, and they're all better than AutoCAD, and that doesn't include the huge array of 3D modelers.

There are actually quite a few 3D apps on the Mac though, or you can run some under X11 in a worst-case scenario.

BOA
ArchiCAD
VectorWorks
FormZ
Cinema 4D
LightWave
Maya and
Graphite, Argon, Xenon and Cobalt (Ashlar-Vellum)
PowerCADD
SketchUp and Piranesi
SolidThinking Design
Universe

...and a few other small packages.

Anyway, I just wanted to vent about AutoCRAP a bit.

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2004, 06:46 AM

..now if they could only make 3D Studio Max for OS X, everything would be perfect.

jeffB
Sep 21, 2004, 01:46 PM

while i agree that autocad isnt good anymore, the problem is i use my powerbook for everything at work except opening .dwg files sent by customers. The drawings are always 2D, i dont need to actually draw anything save for a few missing dimension lines now and again. I don't know how or why but PowerCADD leaves off many dimesions, notes, lines, walls, etc if it renders the part at all. I've tried VWviewer (doesnt open .dwg) canvas9 (same problem as powercadd) and one other program (same thing). So like, yeah. I'm stuck with my nice powerbook and a HP Pavilion that's used for only one thing. Anybody have a similar problem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules