Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Software Update through a proxy?

Software Update through a proxy?
mrcorwin
Sep 30, 2004, 05:13 PM

I'm trying to get Software Update to automatically use a proxy server. Is their anyway to do this?

We run filtering software that cripples SU and our Sys Admin has set up a proxy server for our macs to use. However, I don't want the macs to use the proxy for regular internet work because it is unfiltered. Any Ideas?

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2004, 05:33 PM

Software Update uses the settings it obtains through the System Configuration framework (set in the Network pane of System Preferences). These settings are used by other applications too. I don't believe there's any way to set them on a per-application basis (and normally that wouldn't really be very useful - having a centralised system is a great improvement!).

If your filter is blocking useful stuff, your filter is broken and will be a hindrance in general. Fix the filter.

mrcorwin  (op)
Sep 30, 2004, 06:12 PM

The reason the filter is so strict is for all the PC's and kids trying to download all kinds of things including itunes.

Brass
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2004, 07:24 PM

Is it an authenticated proxy? Software Update (and many other Apple utilities) do not play nicely with many forms of proxy authentication. If this is the case for you, it can easily be worked around by installing a secondary proxy on your Mac (see SquidMan, or Authoxy).

proton
Senior User
Oct 1, 2004, 11:46 AM

Software Update works fine with authenticated proxies in 10.3.

- proton

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2004, 04:32 PM

You could use Apple Remote Desktop to bypass SU entirely and install security updates across all your client machines in one go.

mrcorwin  (op)
Oct 1, 2004, 08:09 PM

Nope, the proxy does not need authentication!

The faculty are the ones that I would like to let install their own updates and thier Macs are spread across multiple virtual lans that do not let appletalk or rendezvous communicate across.

I use ARD to install software in the labs. However, due to the virtual LANS that have been constructed for security, it is a royal pain in the but to setup computers in ARD.

Its my understanding that Software update relies on the unix program wget. Is that true? If it is, there has to be some configuration file to change.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2004, 07:06 AM

Originally posted by mrcorwin:
Its my understanding that Software update relies on the unix program wget. Is that true?
Where on earth did you get that idea? wget isn't even included in the OS X default install as of about 10.2. I'd expect Software Update to use CFHTTPStream or NSURLDownload, not an external tool, to perform downloads.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 2, 2004, 11:47 AM

One of the most-requested features for OS X Server was local software update. Tiger Server will have this feature, according to Apple:
Software Update Server. Reduce network costs by controlling the distribution of Apple software updates with your own Apple software update proxy/cache server.
This feature might solve your problem in the future.

tooki

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2004, 02:42 PM

Proxies are the devil. Our college has one, and everything but port 8080 is disabled because the windows users might get viruses.

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 2, 2004, 10:06 PM

Originally posted by Superchicken:
Proxies are the devil. Our college has one, and everything but port 8080 is disabled because the windows users might get viruses.
Not might get, will get.

-matt

Brass
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2004, 08:49 PM

Originally posted by proton:
Software Update works fine with authenticated proxies in 10.3.

- proton
Depends on the type of proxy server and it's authentication mechanism it seems. Certainly doesn't work with our authenticated proxy here. I still have to use SquidMan to work around the problem with 10.3.5.

In any case, he thinks this is not his problem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules