Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Jon Stewart on Crossfire

Jon Stewart on Crossfire
RedStar
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 16, 2004, 03:11 PM

From slashdot:
"Instead of plugging his new book, Jon Stewart tonight on CNN's Crossfire used his time to slam the media's coverage of the election. Although Stewart leans left, he attacked political shows and begged them: 'Stop, stop, stop, stop hurting America.' Is it time to really stop all the political games that both sides play? Torrent of the event is available."
torrent file (~97 megs):

http://66.90.75.92/********//torrent...rt-avi.torrent

It wasn't only the things he said, but the look on his face. This is one of the greatest things I have ever seen. It reminds me of Michael Moore (love him or hate him) telling Katie Couric to stop asking such stupid questions.

::edit:: crap.... never ventured into the political lounge where this probably belongs.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2004, 03:18 PM

already there.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 16, 2004, 03:22 PM

I don't think this is really political. It's more "we need better news then what we have" here in the US.

Everyone says CNN is on the left, Fox is on the Right, and everyone else has their side as well. That right there is the problem. I don't want political opinions from my news. I just want the news.

That right there is why I avoid most US based news sources, and have ever since 9/11/01 occured. I personally feel I am better informed with less political propaganda being presented to me from either side.

I just found it so funny he came on the show and didn't bother to talk about his book. He instead talked about something serious and caught both hosts way off guard.
<This space under renovation>

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2004, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by Drakino:
Everyone says CNN is on the left, Fox is on the Right, and everyone else has their side as well.
That's why I watch BBC.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Oct 16, 2004, 04:03 PM

In case you don't feel like downloading a 97MB file, watch a QuickTime stream here.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2004, 04:57 PM

I don't think this is really political. It's more "we need better news then what we have" here in the US.

Everyone says CNN is on the left, Fox is on the Right, and everyone else has their side as well. That right there is the problem. I don't want political opinions from my news. I just want the news.
I don't have a problem with political bias necessarily, what I've got a problem with is a lack of journalistic ethics. Theatrics and opinions are NOT news! The problem is compounded by the conglomerates controlling our media today... with such enormous power and the ability to coordinate, they can easily pound a fabrication into the minds of Americans.

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 16, 2004, 05:02 PM

Originally posted by itai195:
I don't have a problem with political bias necessarily, what I've got a problem with is a lack of journalistic ethics. Theatrics and opinions are NOT news! The problem is compounded by the conglomerates controlling our media today... with such enormous power and the ability to coordinate, they can easily pound a fabrication into the minds of Americans.
That is exactly why I have come to dislike him over the years. I used to like the guy.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2004, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
That is exactly why I have come to dislike him over the years. I used to like the guy.
Stewart? Do you expect good journalism from a show on Comedy Central? His whole schtick is to satirize the modern media for doing exactly what I described above.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2004, 06:36 PM

Originally posted by itai195:
stewart is on a show that's NOT THE REAL NEWS...it's a comedy show! why should it have journalistic ethics?

mishap
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2004, 06:51 PM

wow. grabbed it this morning..

"you are 35 and you wear a bowtie"... goes on further to call them hacks.

Stop. Please... Stop hurting America.

F-ING GREAT. F-ING CLASSIC

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 16, 2004, 10:11 PM

Yes we know it's not real news. But tell that to the people who takes his remarks seriously.

What he is doing is no different than say, someone in here sarcastically complaining in the forums 24/7.

I don't call that comedy. But hey, it's just MHO.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2004, 10:39 PM

Yes we know it's not real news. But tell that to the people who takes his remarks seriously.

What he is doing is no different than say, someone in here sarcastically complaining in the forums 24/7.

i think the only people who don't get him and take him seriously are conservatives...the rest of us gets the joke

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2004, 10:43 PM

Saw it; loved it; had a good laugh. It's good to see people tell it like it is�especially on a channel where they basically don't tell it like it is.

nerd
Senior User
Oct 16, 2004, 10:46 PM

Originally posted by RedStar:
From slashdot:

torrent file (~97 megs):

http://66.90.75.92/********//torrent...rt-avi.torrent
Linky no worky? Page not found.

Brad

RedStar  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 16, 2004, 11:11 PM

yea, looks like the links been censored...sigh

there are links to streams in the middle of the thread or you can check the slashdot main page.

edit:: or replace the stars with that well known torrent site that doesn't need to be automatically censored

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 16, 2004, 11:19 PM

You should know that people who get their news from the Daily Show are far more likely to have a correct understanding of current events. Viewers of Fox News or CNN are more likely to be off base.

-matt

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 16, 2004, 11:23 PM

Originally posted by ironknee:
i think the only people who don't get him and take him seriously are conservatives...the rest of us gets the joke
No.. I know Democrats that think he is an asshat as well.

I GET him, I just don't think he is all that funny anymore.

He comes off as desperate and repetitive lately.

He is no Dennis Miller.

And I liked Dennis even when he was a Democrat.
Originally posted by ratlater:
You should know that people who get their news from the Daily Show are far more likely to have a correct understanding of current events. Viewers of Fox News or CNN are more likely to be off base.
Yeah, sure bub. Keep peddling that all the way down the hill.

brapper
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2004, 11:29 PM

john stewart is awesome.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2004, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by ratlater:

-matt
Not in Zim World�.

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 16, 2004, 11:39 PM

Not in any world.

The Daily show isn't a balanced source of news by any means.

Peder Rice
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 16, 2004, 11:58 PM

Daily Show viewers are very intelligent, and O'Reilly made a bit of an ass out of himself.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/TV/0...medy.politics/

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 17, 2004, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by Peder Rice:
Daily Show viewers are very intelligent, and O'Reilly made a bit of an ass out of himself.

Actually, I'll see if I can find the link. Someone debunked those "statistics" in a very large smackdown way.

That is why you haven't heard much about it anymore.

Cept for the few that "still want to believe"

I'll see if I can drum up the link.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2004, 12:38 AM

Here it comes!

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2004, 01:09 AM

Originally posted by MindFad:
Here it comes!

lawl

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 17, 2004, 11:36 AM

velodev
Senior User
Oct 17, 2004, 11:50 AM

I just found it so funny he came on the show and didn't bother to talk about his book. He instead talked about something serious and caught both hosts way off guard.
I find it even funnier that they kept him on for three breaks. I'm sure there was discussion during the breaks but (please don't get me wrong, the guy did a great thing) they didn't throw him off?

wtc?

velodev
Senior User
Oct 17, 2004, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by Peder Rice:

5 out of 5 on the quiz (but they beyond easy) and I don't watch any of the shows. I do find some of the zingers Stewart has to be funny and dead on. I listened to the abridged version of America and found it to be funny. his game isn't over and as people are becoming more interested in the "crap' we call government and the democracy we call two party elections his rating will remain high.

that's all.

I couldn't care less about these two clowns, I'm voting Libertarian as always.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2004, 12:23 PM

Not in any world.

The Daily show isn't a balanced source of news by any means.
it's NOT NEWS!!!!

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Oct 17, 2004, 12:27 PM

Aynone watch the news on Comedy Central Friday night?

*runsforcover*

Evan_11
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 17, 2004, 12:34 PM

I watched part of it. I like Stewart but he came off too prickly for this interview. He also didn't take advantage of the forum by educating. Instead he relied on cheap shots like the bow tie comment. While funny it wasn't much better than the juevenile comments made here. I don't watch Crossfire but I figure it's as much like any other political show, more "He Said, She Said" than actual discussion. That's basically political discussion in nut shell though. Like anything action speaks louder than words. Liberals just tend to better at words than action.

Evan_11
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 17, 2004, 12:41 PM

it's NOT NEWS!!!!
Regardless Stewart didn't present his arguement well and ended up insulting the hosts who attempted to be cordial with him. It probably hurt Stewart a lot more than it helped his cause....whatever that is.

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2004, 12:45 PM

His show is the one show I miss here in Japan.

Evan_11
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 17, 2004, 12:47 PM

Saw it; loved it; had a good laugh. It's good to see people tell it like it is�especially on a channel where they basically don't tell it like it is.
Yes it was aimed directly at your level of discourse. You must of really loved the bow tie comment. How's that Gamestop job coming along?

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 17, 2004, 12:51 PM

The bowtie comment was very appropriate, but he just cound never expand on it. It is proof though that the guy is more concerned about putting forth a certain appearance to represent his side then he is in the debates. IE, it's just theatre on that show, complete with costumes.
<This space under renovation>

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Oct 17, 2004, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by Evan_11:
... who attempted to be cordial with him. ...
I recommend you watch the entire clip, then rethink that statement.

Evan_11
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 17, 2004, 01:00 PM

Yes. I agree the bow tie comment was funny and incisive but because Stewart couldn't elaborate any further and instead looked nervy and uncomfortable he then blew it. Like his weak Kerry interview I think Stewart is not as 'good' as a lot of people think he is.

Evan_11
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 17, 2004, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by effgee:
I recommend you watch the entire clip, then rethink that statement.
Nah. They were very cordial when introducing him. Stewart was the one who decided to turn it nasty. Like I said Stewart just isn't as good as people make him out to be regardless of how he thinks. He's definately better at pre-conceived skits which is basically what he was ranting about on Crossfire. Like the 35 year old guy who wears a bow tie Stewart is an entertainer and nothing more. Entertainers often make fools out of themselves when the they attempt to cross over that fine line to reality.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2004, 01:06 PM

forget the bowtie comment...i love the "biggest dick" comment!

Evan_11
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 17, 2004, 01:18 PM

Miss Piggy?

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 17, 2004, 01:19 PM

it's NOT NEWS!!!!
Right.. and that is why I just said in my sentence that it wasn't...

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 17, 2004, 01:20 PM

Nah. They were very cordial when introducing him. Stewart was the one who decided to turn it nasty. Like I said Stewart just isn't as good as people make him out to be regardless of how he thinks. He's definately better at pre-conceived skits which is basically what he was ranting about on Crossfire. Like the 35 year old guy who wears a bow tie Stewart is an entertainer and nothing more. Entertainers often make fools out of themselves when the they attempt to cross over that fine line to reality.
Exactly.

Miss Piggy?
That isn't nice.

TheJoshu
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2004, 01:31 PM

stewart is on a show that's NOT THE REAL NEWS...it's a comedy show! why should it have journalistic ethics?
At this point... I have trouble with him hiding behind this argument. Surely it's comedy, but he has and ought to be expected to have journalist integrity nonetheless.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Oct 17, 2004, 01:41 PM

I don't know what you were watching. They (as in: lil' Tucker Carlson) were cordial for exactly as long as it looked like Stewart was going along with the usual politically correct idiot theme of babbling about pre-scripted crap.

As soon as Tucker realized that Stewart wasn't about to return to the script, he interrupted him repeatedly, trying to force his conversation onto Stewart. That's when the whole thing went downhill.

And hey - towards the end, neither of the two was what anyone could call polite. Downside for Tucker was that Stewart's insults were (somewhat) funny while he sat there looking like the witless, braindead mouthpiece he is.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2004, 01:45 PM

Yes it was aimed directly at your level of discourse. You must of really loved the bow tie comment.

Oh, please tell us what level that would be! Let's see how many pages we can get out of this thread. If you're going to be a lofty c�nt, at least explain yourself. And the bow tie comment a good one; I really loved it.

How's that Gamestop job coming along?
No news yet. You want to sign up for MindFad e-mail updates? Because I'll totally send them.

I watched part of it. I like Stewart but he came off too prickly for this interview. He also didn't take advantage of the forum by educating. Instead he relied on cheap shots like the bow tie comment. While funny it wasn't much better than the juevenile comments made here. I don't watch Crossfire but I figure it's as much like any other political show, more "He Said, She Said" than actual discussion. That's basically political discussion in nut shell though. Like anything action speaks louder than words. Liberals just tend to better at words than action.
Maybe you should go back and watch the whole thing, chief.

Evan_11
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 17, 2004, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by effgee:
I don't know what you were watching. .....
I watched enough.

If Stewart's point was to go on that show and insult it's hosts then yes I agree. If Stewart went on there to make a point then he failed. I more or less got the impression that Stewart just didn't like the guy with the bow tie and intended more or less on attacking the messenger rather than the message. Something a lot of us do here. Childish yes and counter productive.

I sat in on a taping of Politically Incorrect one time and found a similar setup as Crossfire. Carrot Top was a guest for godsakes. Between 'commercial breaks' the guests huddled and planned on what they were going to debate about. I suspect Bill and Jon are pals so you probably won't see them challenging each other in an insult contest.

Evan_11
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 17, 2004, 01:58 PM

If you're going to be a lofty c�nt, at least explain yourself. [/B]
Hey, you proved my point.

If you plan on ridiculing others in public then you should be pretty damned ready to receive it too.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2004, 02:00 PM

The difference being that the fool with the bowtie was running a political talkshow on a news tv station, and Stewart is host of an entertainment show on an entertainment channel.

He was there to question the Crossfire guys on THEIR journalistic integrity and responsibility. THEY are the ones crossing the line into entertainment, not vice versa.

(Apart from which, the entertainment business has LONG history of political content - satire does go back several thousand years -, while the business of "infotainment" is a fairly recent development of dumbing down TV)

-s*

Evan_11
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 17, 2004, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
The difference being that the fool with the bowtie was running a political talkshow on a news tv station, and Stewart is host of an entertainment show on an entertainment channel.
-s*
I think we all know that CNN had crossed the line when they posted 'news' from such reliable source as MOSR regarding the fabled color iPod.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2004, 02:05 PM

Hey, you proved my point.

If you plan on ridiculing others in public then you should be pretty damned ready to receive it too. [/B][/QUOTE]

I don't see how you proved anything, or what you were trying to prove to begin with; I thought we were talking about Jon Stewart on Crossfire.

I wasn't ridiculing anyone�I only do that to morons who deserve it (see: Political Lounge). If you're talking about the pic of Zim, he probably knows I was messing around. We can get seriously pissy sometimes with each other.

I don't feel ridiculed.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Oct 17, 2004, 02:13 PM

I watched enough.
The usual "kill-em-all" argument. Convenient, isn't it?
If Stewart's point was to go on that show and insult it's hosts then yes I agree. If Stewart went on there to make a point then he failed. I more or less got the impression that Stewart just didn't like the guy with the bow tie and intended more or less on attacking the messenger rather than the message. Something a lot of us do here. Childish yes and counter productive.
You got the impression that Stewart didn't like the guy with the bowtie? Did you listen to anything Stewart said during the beginning of the "interview"?

In case you missed it - he was making almost exactly the same point you are attempting to make - that the "debate shows" like Crossfire are to civilized political discourse what professional wrestling is to regular sports.

The attacks began quite a bit after the whole thing started to go down the shitter.

... I sat in on a taping of Politically Incorrect one time and found a similar setup as Crossfire. Carrot Top was a guest for godsakes. Between 'commercial breaks' the guests huddled and planned on what they were going to debate about. I suspect Bill and Jon are pals so you probably won't see them challenging each other in an insult contest.
What does Maher's show have to do with anything we're talking about here? Are you trying to tell us the whole thing was scripted - including gems like "Kerry's buttboy" and "dick"?

Forum Links
Forum Rules