Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > PSP Pricing, Battery Life Announced

PSP Pricing, Battery Life Announced (Page 2)
Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2004, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by Landos Mustache:
I do. The screen is NOT tiny and widescreen which makes it a perfect portable DVD player.
Indeed, but there's just one problem: it doesn't play DVDs. Nor, for that matter, can you simply burn from a DVD into this new format of theirs, because there are no drives for it and Sony doesn't appear to have any intention of allowing drives for it to ever come out. That means buying all your movies all over again.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Oct 27, 2004, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by Link:
So tell me, what's this emphasis that it HAS to play movies suddenly because you're going to take it on a plane?! OMG PLANES ARE FOR MOVIES!!!!!
First answer this:

1) What is the coolest way you can think of to use a tiny touch screen in a game?

2) What is the coolest use for the second screen.

"Hello, what have we here?

Link
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 04:18 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
Indeed, but there's just one problem: it doesn't play DVDs. Nor, for that matter, can you simply burn from a DVD into this new format of theirs, because there are no drives for it and Sony doesn't appear to have any intention of allowing drives for it to ever come out. That means buying all your movies all over again.
Hello? Isn't sony the KING of the MPAA/RIAA? They LOVE the thought of that.

As for Final Fantasy, wasn't that game the king of theatrical cutscenes? Geez sounds like a terrific idea for a portable game! While waiting for the bus or on the way home, watching a 10 minute long cutscene!
Aloha

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 04:20 PM

The last time sony made an "all in one" it was called the PSX and flopped faster than a pancake.
I don't remember ever being able to purchase that system here. Am I wrong in assuming it was never made available here? The Japanese domestic market is hard one to gauge and can't often be compared with the success worldwide. Remember this is a place where the Sega Saturn was embraced and flopped miserably in other places. Where the Dreamcast was a great success around the world, except in it's home market where sold poorly and ultimately lead to it's demise. The Japanese market is indeed a fickle one.
BTW: What happened to the last portable game machine (not a gameboy) that Nintendo launched? It was called the Virtual Boy and was a huge disaster.

Link
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 04:21 PM

First answer this:

1) What is the coolest way you can think of to use a tiny touch screen in a game?

1. Gestures to control games.

2. Secondary camera views, fully customizable. That, or other stuff related to it, say for instance secondary controls, keep crap like potions and stuff available there for battle scenes..
Aloha

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2004, 04:22 PM

I do. The screen is NOT tiny and widescreen which makes it a perfect portable DVD player. I would not take my laptop on some trips as I don't want to haul it around just to watch a movie on the plane but I will take a PSP.
It's useless as a portable video player because it only plays video on the proprietary Sony discs. How many of those do you think most people will pay 20 bucks for?

"Oh boy, now I own Lord of the Rings on DVD and on Sony PSP. Too bad I've seen it 15 times."

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Link
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 04:23 PM

Originally posted by the_glassman:
I don't remember ever being able to purchase that system here. Am I wrong in assuming it was never made available here? The Japanese domestic market is hard one to gauge and can't often be compared with the success worldwide. Remember this is a place where the Sega Saturn was embraced and flopped miserably in other places. Where the Dreamcast was a great success around the world, except in it's home market where sold poorly and ultimately lead to it's demise. The Japanese market is indeed a fickle one.
BTW: What happened to the last portable game machine (not a gameboy) that Nintendo launched? It was called the Virtual Boy and was a huge disaster.
The Japanese market is apparently all-in-one crazed. If the Panasonic Q could succeed there, there's no reason the PSX couldn't.

Except, of course, it looked like an overpriced toaster....

The virtual boy happened so long ago I don't even remember of it being on the market. From pictures that sucker looked like an extreme crazy idea, not a "hey let's do something usual and try to sell it!" viewpoint.
Aloha

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2004, 04:33 PM

Indeed, they didn't know the market, and they were new to the game. I can sum up the reason for Sony's takeover of the market for you in three words: Final Fantasy VII. Which was, to be fair, one of the greatest video games ever made. But the point is, Sony didn't win the market for the PSX; Square did.
Errr, and there wouldn't have happened to be any reasons Square chose to release FF7 on the PSX instead of the N64 now would there? No I guess Square just magically decided to abandon their long time partner.

Maybe that was a little too sarcastic of me, but your statement above is irrational. Not only do you not give Sony any credit for making the smart decisions that led to their snagging FF7, you also ignored a number of other blockbuster titles that propelled the PSX in its early days: Tekken, Ridge Racer, Resident Evil, NFL Gameday, NHL Faceoff, Wipeout, etc. Even FF7 would've been a relatively minor game in the US and European markets were it not for Sony's marketing muscle.

No, as it turns out Sony understood the console market better than either Sega or Nintendo. Their announcement of a console with 3D graphics stunned Sega; their decision to use CDs, controversial at the time, helped them win away third parties. Their addition of strong first party developers (eg Psygnosis) and the attention they paid to sports games also paid off. Third parties flocked to them. Capcom, Konami, EA, and Namco all strongly supported the PSX early on. Sony almost singlehandedly expanded the video games market, bringing it into mainstream culture. They recognized the potential of the US and European markets, which Nintendo had largely ignored. And of course it did help that Sony executed every point of their strategy flawlessly just as the competition was making mistakes left and right, but that just made Sony's job easier.
( Last edited by itai195; Oct 27, 2004 at 04:45 PM. )

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 04:38 PM

First answer this:

Feel the Magic XX/XY for both questions. (yes, its going to be the greatest game in the world) also wario ware 2 or whatever its going to be called. and the touchscreen on metroid hunters isn't just for a map, its for changing weapons and jumping. i think it does something else too but i forgot.

nintendo isn't losing money! they're making money of GCN! Microsoft is losing a crapload of money per each XBOX, and Sony probably isn't making any money off each PS2 sold.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 04:39 PM

1. Gestures to control games.
Ya that was so cool when they demo'd in metroid DS you stopping playing take your hands of the controls, slide out the pen and then POINT on the one screen where you want to shoot. Man, I'll be living the dream.

Oh and the price for the PSP is actually $185.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
Feel the Magic XX/XY for both questions. (yes, its going to be the greatest game in the world)

nintendo isn't losing money! they're making money of GCN! Microsoft is losing a crapload of money per each XBOX, and Sony probably isn't making any money off each PS2 sold.
I don't care who makes money in what as I do not work for the company and have stock. All I care about is how good the system is and the games.

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 04:44 PM

I don't care who makes money in what as I do not work for the company and have stock. All I care about is how good the system is and the games.
i wasn't directing that part to you i was directing it to the person who said that nintendo is going to go the way of sega because no one is buying their stuff (or something).

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 04:54 PM

i wasn't directing that part to you i was directing it to the person who said that nintendo is going to go the way of sega because no one is buying their stuff (or something).
Just so everyone is clear I LOVE my Nintendo junk. I have everything by them (Including virtual boy). I have tons and tons of games and until 3 years ago I never owned the competition as I was a fanboy.

BUT, Nintendo has made so many mistakes and kept themselves in a kiddy market. The gamecube was supposed to be the Anti-N64 but it turned out to be just like it. Again.

Nintendo isn't going anywhere but I don't care if they make hardware or not anymore as it is just the games I like.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2004, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by the_glassman:
Like you said it all comes down to the games. And honestly at this point I don't see anyone beating Sony's 3rd and 1st party support. Like it or not, Sony is where it's at in gaming industry. Just from name recognition and the fanboys it will sell.
I disagree in a sense. If Sony's answer to Nintendo's Game Boy or DS is a handheld PS2 weaker graphics and the same games, I can't see it going very well, unless it really has some killer apps. I still doubt Sony console 3rd party support will carry over as well into the handheld world, but we're all going to have to just wait and see.

They are profitable now, that doesn't mean that if the DS tanks and they have yet another flop with a home system that they will remain profitable.
GameCube hasn't been a flop, if that's what you mean. Neither was Nintendo 64, for that matter, which people like to imply for whatever reason. The only flop Nintendo has had was the Virtual Boy, which had what, two or three games? Hell, I didn't even like the thing at the time, and everyone likes to call me a fanboy. The idea was there, but the execution was horrible. And the thing was just awkward as hell. Obviously, Nintendo learned a big lesson from Virtual Boy.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 05:00 PM

Ya that was so cool when they demo'd in metroid DS you stopping playing take your hands of the controls, slide out the pen and then POINT on the one screen where you want to shoot. Man, I'll be living the dream.

Oh and the price for the PSP is actually $185.
Actually you use the pen constantly as a targeting tool. Also games that use gesturing for spells etc. FPS that are actually playable since even the PS2 controllers is virtually useless for targeting anything smaller than a house.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 05:02 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:

GameCube hasn't been a flop, if that's what you mean.
Well it is the least selling system and most of the good games are only coming from Nintendo again. People want online, they sell the adapter but don't want to push it, the space on the disk is limiting and developers would rather write for xbox for online play and better graphics or PS2 for better sales.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2004, 05:09 PM

Well it is the least selling system and most of the good games are only coming from Nintendo again.
Which, of course, doesn't make the system a flop, failure, or unprofitable for the company making it. Where's the rational thought in this joint? What's with the "it's cool to rag on Nintendo" crowd?

People want online, they sell the adapter but don't want to push it, the space on the disk is limiting and developers would rather write for xbox for online play and better graphics or PS2 for better sales.
Who are these people that want online? I haven't seen any numbers or anything, but as far as I knew, it wasn't profitable for Nintendo. Perhaps they will explore it more in the next generation since they're all gung-ho with wireless. But for this generation, I personally don't care; I wouldn't have used it anyway. I'd rather use my computer online. But that is just me; I can understand the coolness of playing console games online�I just don't care.

And the disc size isn't limiting for many games isn't the disc size. 1.5GB is more than enough for most games. But you're right�it is the sales.

But anyway, back to PSP. It's gonna flop.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2004, 05:14 PM

Which, of course, doesn't make the system a flop, failure, or unprofitable for the company making it. Where's the rational thought in this joint? What's with the "it's cool to rag on Nintendo" crowd?
It's not necessarily a flop in the profit sense, but Nintendo is well down the path toward becoming the gaming world's Apple. Hey, I like both Apple and Nintendo! But I don't want to see Nintendo go down that path.

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2004, 05:24 PM

How are people planning to watch movies on the PSP? The only method I can see other than buying a PSP disc with the movie on it, is to encode the move and dump it on a memory stick.

Also, will the PSP require all gamers own the game for multiplayer? And have they announced how many players will be supported in a game?

-matt

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 05:29 PM

Who are these people that want online? I haven't seen any numbers or anything, but as far as I knew, it wasn't profitable for Nintendo. Perhaps they will explore it more in the next generation since they're all gung-ho with wireless. But for this generation, I personally don't care; I wouldn't have used it anyway. I'd rather use my computer online. But that is just me; I can understand the coolness of playing console games online�I just don't care.

And the disc size isn't limiting for many games isn't the disc size. 1.5GB is more than enough for most games. But you're right�it is the sales.

But anyway, back to PSP. It's gonna flop.
First the 1.5GB is not enough. If you actually owned other systems you would be able to see the difference. Price of persia for example I have for gamecube and you can obviously hear the audio compression which you can't hear on the other systems. Zelda also blew with no audio other then squeaks and junk for cutscenes.

The Gamecube does sell games but again it is making things even worse then the N64 did.

Who wants online games? Ask the million users on Xbox live

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 05:31 PM

Who are these people that want online?
I want online! As do many others. I've been playing consoles online since the Genesis/SNES days. The fact that Nintendo fails to realize this and support this has really disappointed me.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2004, 05:56 PM

The last time sony made an "all in one" it was called the PSX and flopped faster than a pancake.
That never came out here. I wanted one SO BADLY. There's a ton of stuff I want to dump off my TiVo to DVD and every time I do it's a chore.

Also, the Japanese market's different than it is here.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2004, 06:00 PM

Indeed, they didn't know the market, and they were new to the game. I can sum up the reason for Sony's takeover of the market for you in three words: Final Fantasy VII. Which was, to be fair, one of the greatest video games ever made. But the point is, Sony didn't win the market for the PSX; Square did.
Ahem.

Yes, FF VII blew everyone away, but have you noticed that Square moved from Nintendo TO the Playstation? Why? Because the N64 was seriously underpowered. Square even had model demos of FF VII on the N64. Also, what about all the other games that came out then like Tekken, Crash Bandicoot, Wipeout, etc.? The Playstation not only had cool games, but was marketed VERY well, and had damn good specs for its time.

Mike

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2004, 06:01 PM

So tell me, what's this emphasis that it HAS to play movies suddenly because you're going to take it on a plane?! OMG PLANES ARE FOR MOVIES!!!!!

*bangs head against table* SO ALL THIS TIME I WAS WRONG?!?!?! I thought planes were meant to get from point A to point B, and if you're gonna do something well.. geee.. why not play a game, it'll make time pass faster than watching reruns of that corny ass movie you bought for $30 from the MPAA.
Ever sit on a 12-hour flight?

Mike

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by starman:
That never came out here. I wanted one SO BADLY. There's a ton of stuff I want to dump off my TiVo to DVD and every time I do it's a chore.

Also, the Japanese market's different than it is here.

Mike
I think the reason it isn't doing well is because the PS2 is at the end of its life cycle and you don't want to drop $800 on a system that will have a replacement a year from now.

Kinda like the DS actually.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2004, 06:06 PM

Ahem.

Yes, FF VII blew everyone away, but have you noticed that Square moved from Nintendo TO the Playstation? Why? Because the N64 was seriously underpowered. Square even had model demos of FF VII on the N64. Also, what about all the other games that came out then like Tekken, Crash Bandicoot, Wipeout, etc.? The Playstation not only had cool games, but was marketed VERY well, and had damn good specs for its time.

Mike
The N64 was a llot more powerful than the PS1. They choose Sony because of the storage space.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 06:10 PM

Ever sit on a 12-hour flight?

Mike
You REALLY want to take a device that has a max life of 4-5 hours at best on a 12 hour flight?

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by TheBadgerHunter:
You REALLY want to take a device that has a max life of 4-5 hours at best on a 12 hour flight?
I don't mind taking my ibook or ipod on 12 hour flights! Anything to help the time pass faster.

SubGeniux
Grizzled Veteran
Location: Shipped to another country by the US to be tortured so they can avoid Int. law.
Oct 27, 2004, 06:35 PM

oooooooo, what's this I have in my palm? a sweet PSP (dev version) that Sony gave me.

Tell you what, it friggin rocks, bloody amazing thing, I love it, the speed and detail is just yummmmmmmmmm
sanathana sarathi
si tacuisses philosophus mansisses

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 06:55 PM

Originally posted by TheBadgerHunter:
Yes, since nobody would pay for 12 hours straight and it even comes with an extra battery in the special packages.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 07:04 PM

Originally posted by ort888:
The N64 was a llot more powerful than the PS1. They choose Sony because of the storage space.
This is true.
The Playstation had similar processing capabilities to the SNES (It was supposed to be a SNES CD really, but Nintendo dropped Sony, stupid stupid nintendo)

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2004, 07:09 PM

Alright.... where to begin ?
An analogy perhaps.....
iPod vs those Portable Audio/Video players itel n microsoft seem to be pushing.
iPod (upto 2-3 days ago):
small (2") black n white screen
only music, no movies or any other fancy features
10-12 hours batter life..
small and light

portable A/V player:
glorious, big color screen
music, movies, games, phones, cameras, toasters and a personal masturbator
far less than 12 hours battery life
big and bulky

who won ?

now the NDS vs PSP:
NDS:
reasonably specifications (visual)
smaller screens(but there's two of them)
good audio
great wireless networking
innovative (not the same formula the game gear or lynx used)
8-10 hour battery life
small and light
lower price
a gaming machine for gamers by gamers

PSP:
over kill when it comes to specifications(visual)
nice big wide screen
good audio
wireless (less impressive than the NDS)
Windows 95 to Windows 98 as GameGear to PSP
4-6 hour batter life...haha
small and light
higher price
a swiss army knife of functionality for gawd knows who, by a company that dosent even make video games

Remember when Wintel used to bash Apple for having lower MHzs...... what did Apple do ? create the iPod and iLife...they innovated with the Mhzs they had.

Now you have the PSP heavyweight boasting it's' polygonal power...and yet no one (not even Sony)is doing anything new with all those extra polygons. it's like the best they could come up with is throwing more triangles and quads at the problem to try and sell their product, whats challenging about that ? whats creative about that ? what 'value' do they cater to ? what need does that satisify in consumers ?

if, the iPod's value is...your entire music collection wherever you go, at your finger tips; The NDS' would be being a pure portable gaming machine, that takes advantage of your other abilities, apart from button crunching.

Thats an extremely powerful idea right there.

And the PSP ? it satisifies no need. it tries to be the master of all, and ended up being good at nothing....
music ?....on a 32MB memory stick ?
movies ....u ready to fork out $20 for a movie you can buy on DVD and enjoy better quality with ? it yes..... you ready to watch your favorite movie on a tiny screen ?...if yes...how about being cut off watching a movie cause of battery life that sucks ?
games ? wow... you get to play the exact same games you played on your PS2... except on a smaller screen. more storage than the NDS ?....i have a hard time looking at my PowerBook sreen for hours at an end... i cnat imagine playing an epic game on that tiny screen thats for 4-6 hours till the battery runs out, thats for sure.

Personally i prefer the NDS (gee i wonder what gave it away)

But i'm going to predit that neither one of these products will last in the long run.
P.S.>>Dont forget to place your vote on the poll i started a couple of weeks ago.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2004, 07:12 PM

First the 1.5GB is not enough. If you actually owned other systems you would be able to see the difference. Price of persia for example I have for gamecube and you can obviously hear the audio compression which you can't hear on the other systems. Zelda also blew with no audio other than squeaks and junk for cutscenes.

The Gamecube does sell games but again it is making things even worse than the N64 did.

Who wants online games? Ask the million users on Xbox live
1.5GB is more than enough data to store the majority of games today. I'm not talking epic multi gigabyte RPGs. Of course they have to compensate and compress video�that stuff can get pretty big. I don't so how that's a big deal, though, having some artifacts in cut-scenes. I couldn't hear the difference in audio when I played Prince of Persia. And if I did, I probably also wouldn't have cared. I also thought the audio was great in Zelda. Some of the best music and sound effects in the series. So you're just whining about it because you didn't like "squeaks and junk"?

GameCube is doing worse than N64 in game sales as of now in this current generation, or what? I don't know what you mean. Or system sales? Either way, GameCube's still got plenty of life left in it. It seems the "Nintendo is doing bad" perception will remain no matter what, though.

A million Xbox Live people? Really? Doesn't it still cost MS money to run it, though? As in, aren't they still losing money on supporting it? Though I see how it can still be an attraction for people who want to play online, and an incentive for MS to continue supporting it, surely you see why Nintendo isn't more supportive of online play since they don't stand to gain much in terms of profit from it, other than little more appeal for its games. People would still whine even if Nintendi did have a sound and supportive online plan. And knowing Nintendo's tightness with money, it's no wonder they aren't more for it ... yet.

Yes, since nobody would pay for 12 hours straight and it even comes with an extra battery in the special packages.
Oh, come now. That's a lame excuse for such shitty battery life. I've gone more than 4-5 hours on my SP before, so I can't see why I wouldn't on a DS or PSP. The extra battery is cool, though. (If still an admittance of lame battery life on the part of Sony. )

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2004, 07:17 PM

Way to lay down the than hammer 'Fad.

i still have to get the cash up to get the old school gb advance. might be a while though. still curious about these two puppies.

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 07:17 PM

A million Xbox Live people? Really? Doesn't it still cost MS money to run it, though? As in, aren't they still losing money on supporting it? Though I see how it can still be an attraction for people who want to play online, and an incentive for MS to continue supporting it, surely you see why Nintendo isn't more supportive of online play since they don't stand to gain much in terms of profit from it, other than little more appeal for its games. People would still whine even if Nintendi did have a sound and supportive online plan. And knowing Nintendo's tightness with money, it's no wonder they aren't more for it ... yet.
a million xbox live users out of a total of 13 million xboxs sold (worldwide (isn't xbox live worldwide) as of the end of 2003. thats only 7% of users. not too many people are "hook'd on line"

lol.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2004, 07:33 PM

a million xbox live users out of a total of 13 million xboxs sold (worldwide (isn't xbox live worldwide) as of the end of 2003. thats only 7% of users. not too many people are "hook'd on line"

lol.
How many Gamecube owners are online?

Mike

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2004, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
Way to lay down the than hammer 'Fad.

i still have to get the cash up to get the old school gb advance. might be a while though. still curious about these two puppies.
I'm on a Than Hammer� roll today. It needs a graphic.

Yeah, I held out just long enough for my SP�I got the classic just after they hit $79. If you can't decide, though, and really want one of these new puppies, keep in mind the DS will play all GBA SP games (no multiplayer, though). So that's 600 games right there to start off, in addition to all the cool new DS software that'll come out.

While I'm sold on the DS, I'm still not ruling out the possibility of a PSP later on.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 07:37 PM

WHO CARES if microsoft loses money. if anything that makes me happier! The fact is I am playing KICK ASS GAMES ONLINE and LOVING IT!

I rather take that route then playing few and far between games not online and Nintendo making money.

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 07:42 PM

Mike
the point is if only 7% of your users are using your online service, is it worth the investment?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2004, 07:45 PM

Mike

Well, this article says Sega claimed 600,000 PSO users in November of 2003. Though I don't know if that includes GameCube PSO players or what. I didn't Google more than that, and my point was.... (see below)

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl.../ai_ziff113055

WHO CARES if microsoft loses money. if anything that makes me happier! The fact is I am playing KICK ASS GAMES ONLINE and LOVING IT!

I rather take that route than playing few and far between games not online and Nintendo making money.
I was just making the point from a business standpoint for Nintendo. I think Nintendo cares if they are losing money, was my point. Is losing money on 7% of your user base really worth it to garner more console appeal? I don't think so, honestly�at least, not now. They're tight-asses, and we all know it. So I see why they aren't so quick to jump on the online bandwagon.

I doubt many gamers feel the same way you do about playing KICK ASS GAMES ONLINE�otherwise, online would be even bigger. I imagine more people are still more into online PC gaming than console gaming. That being said, I think online console gaming will continue to grow into the next generation. Nintendo will probably be forced to acknowledge and confront it by the time Revolution rolls out.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 07:49 PM

lol.
And the number of online xbox gamers is going to double after November 9th!

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2004, 07:50 PM

I'm on a Than Hammer� roll today. It needs a graphic.
its a slow night at work-
orig-

first hack at it-

on second thought (clone stamping sucks with a trackpad)-
( Last edited by d4nth3m4n; Oct 27, 2004 at 08:44 PM. )

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2004, 08:00 PM

Agreed. Sadly some of the great devs that Nintendo used to have in their back pocket like Square moved to the PS. Sadly it seems every time devs move away from Nintendo their games aren't as good. I'd love to see Nintendo back to the rich number of Devs like in the SNES days but just modernize it.

I am debating getting a DS. If they came out with a Smash Bros. game for it, I think I would convince my friends to buy em and we'd play.

Bluebomber21XX
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2004, 08:04 PM

Has this been mentioned yet? http://www.pocketsnes.net/

The only reason I want a DS over a PSP? SNES emulation. It's already in beta and I know we will see more progress on this. The DS has all the buttons that SNES had, so that means more old-school goodness:
Final Fantasy 3 (6 in Japan), Secret of Mana, Seiken Densetsu 3 (translated, no less), Chrono Trigger, all of them!

This has the potential to become the biggest portable ever. I already have PocketNES on my SP, so being able to add SNES, NES, GBA, GB, GBC, and DS games on one system is so sweet.

And it costs less.
The online resource for Rockman & Forte!
http://www.bluebomber.com/

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2004, 08:04 PM

You can practically guarantee a Smash Bros. DS somewhere down the road.

Dan:

Originally posted by Bluebomber21XX:

The only reason I want a DS over a PSP? SNES emulation. It's already in beta and I know we will see more progress on this. The DS has all the buttons that SNES had, so that means more old-school goodness:
Final Fantasy 3 (6 in Japan), Secret of Mana, Seiken Densetsu 3 (translated, no less), Chrono Trigger, all of them!

This has the potential to become the biggest portable ever. I already have PocketNES on my SP, so being able to add SNES, NES, GBA, GB, GBC, and DS games on one system is so sweet.

And it costs less.
You can already do this with NES emulation. A friend of mine has one of the flash GBA carts with an NES emulator and tons of ROMs. Plays NES on the go! I want me one, but I think you need a PC to actually get the ROMs and emulator over.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by Bluebomber21XX:

And it costs less.
Do you actually play through all the old games? I think it's fun for nostalgic reasons every now and then, but I can only play Super Mario World so many times. The PSP is more powerful and there's no doubt in my mind there will be hacks to play all kinds of old software on it.
Look at the Xbox, you can play MAME, SNES, Genesis, PS and a whole slew of other games on it.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2004, 08:32 PM

Here's the box:

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 08:53 PM

Here's the box:

looks really big.

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 11:00 PM

I think they're both too big. The GBA SP fits easily in your pocket even with wallet, keys, phone, lighter, and cigarettes. On a 12 hour flight lots of people sleep and u don't want to get up to get into the overhead bag to get something out.

Besides, I've gotten over 20 hours off of 1 charge on the SP. I practically beat all of Metroid Fusion on 1 charge. You can watch movies on the SP and DS too, half the SP carts at Wal-Mart are spongebob and kiddie shows.

And what's the point that only 7% of xbox owners are online? Apple manages to make money on 3% of the computer market. Considering you need broadband to use xbox live, I'd say 7% is pretty good. The whole reason I have internet now after 2 yrs w/out is to make sure I have xbox live ready to go Nov. 9 when I pick up my copy of Halo 2. Also, many of the games are xbox live compatible.

I'll buy the next Gameboy unless PSP or DS rocks and come out w/ an SP style pocket size one.

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 11:35 PM

Originally posted by iLikebeer:
And what's the point that only 7% of xbox owners are online? Apple manages to make money on 3% of the computer market. Considering you need broadband to use xbox live, I'd say 7% is pretty good. The whole reason I have internet now after 2 yrs w/out is to make sure I have xbox live ready to go Nov. 9 when I pick up my copy of Halo 2. Also, many of the games are xbox live compatible.
the point is i don't think it would be in Nintendo's (or anyone's besides Microsoft's) best interest to invest the money in something that only 7% of users will use. Microsoft probably doesn't care since they're losing money on each XBOX anyway so whats more to them?

Forum Links
Forum Rules