Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > PSP Pricing, Battery Life Announced

PSP Pricing, Battery Life Announced (Page 4)
MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2004, 11:53 PM

No, because if you watch him playing it in the bottom right hand (you can see better in other videos as he's jumping and battling another Samus), it's nothing more than a gesture�you just quickly rub the stylus over the button in the corner. It's not like you have to stop, hit the jump button, and go. It's as seamless as tapping jump on your mouse when playing a FPS.

But I'm not trying to stop you from whining about the map or anything.

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2004, 11:55 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
You don't call taking one hand off the unit, sliding out a pen, tapping on an option, putting the pen back then going back to your original position a pause or anything?
you can use your fingers genius. and yes, i'm sure after each time they want to do something they're going to take the stylus out if they don't use their finger. they'd never hold it between their right hand fingers because, that hand does something. no wait, it doesn't do anything because the ABXY buttons don't do anything in that game, iirc.

and yes, John Kerry would play that game when its getting his orange glo tan done.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2004, 12:00 AM

Originally posted by fireside:
you can use your fingers genius. and yes, i'm sure after each time they want to do something they're going to take the stylus out if they don't use their finger. they'd never hold it between their right hand fingers because, that hand does something. no wait, it doesn't do anything because the ABXY buttons don't do anything in that game, iirc.

and yes, John Kerry would play that game when its getting his orange glo tan done.
Fine, now tell me with a straight face how "arming weapons, jumping and morph balling" is better, more fun or faster THEN PUSHING ONE OF THE FREAKING NORMAL BUTTONS?!!!

When you played metroid for gamecube or the old gameboys did you actually find hitting one of the buttons your fingers are already on an inconvenience and lusted for a touchscreen?

Seriously.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2004, 12:00 AM

I think there will be an option for not using the stylus, and just use the D-pad and buttons, but that seems like it would severely hinder precision when playing. There will probably be a control option for lefties, too, wanting to use ABXY button as movement and R to fire (opposite of righty settings). Gotta share the love with the lefties.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2004, 12:05 AM

Fine, now tell me with a straight face how "arming weapons, jumping and morph balling" is better, more fun or faster THEN PUSHING ONE OF THE FREAKING NORMAL BUTTONS?!!!

When you played metroid for gamecube or the old gameboys did you actually find hitting one of the buttons your fingers are already on an inconvenience and lusted for a touchscreen?

Seriously.
Dude, why would you want to hit the buttons when a simple gesture does the same thing on the screen you're already using to look around? That's the beauty of having all this control right there. It's all right there�there's no reaching for buttons. If anything, it's much easier than doing it like it was on the GameCube. How much more streamlined could control and interaction get? This is a multiplayer action FPS�it's not like you're going to want to stop and reach over for the ABXY buttons anyway.

Oh, and you can use the stylus for precision movement in morphball mode, which is pretty cool. Though you're more likely to be hauling ass away with the D-pad.

Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2004, 12:07 AM

Originally posted by MindFad:
Dude, why would you want to hit the buttons when a simple gesture does the same thing on the screen you're already using to look around? That's the beauty of having all this control right there. It's all right there�there's no reaching for buttons. If anything, it's much easier than doing it like it was on the GameCube. How much more streamlined could control and interaction get? This is a multiplayer action FPS�it's not like you're going to want to stop and reach over for the ABXY buttons anyway.

Oh, and you can use the stylus for precision movement in morphball mode, which is pretty cool. Though you're more likely to be hauling ass away with the D-pad.
Man they really sold you on that thing didn't they. You sound like you are in love, enjoy it.

I plan on buying one, just to keep it wrapped up and sell it on ebay at chrismas though.

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2004, 12:10 AM

Seriously.
i can't say how fun or how its going to work, i've never played the demo of hunters. but i can say you probably haven't played it, so why are you moaning about it, especially if you don't even want to play it?

Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2004, 12:12 AM

i can't say how fun or how its going to work, i've never played the demo of hunters. but i can say you probably haven't played it, so why are you moaning about it, especially if you don't even want to play it?
Why are you in here pushing the DS when this thread is about the PSP pricing and battery life?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2004, 12:20 AM

Man they really sold you on that thing didn't they. You sound like you are in love, enjoy it.

I plan on buying one, just to keep it wrapped up and sell it on ebay at chrismas though.
Yea, I'm excited about the new ways to play games with this thing. You sound like you're whining about it all just to whine. We were having civil discussion; people have differing opinions�deal with it.

I'm excited to see both in action, really, and I may consider a PSP later on down the road, but I pretty much have no doubts about me enjoying what Nintendo will bring with the DS. They haven't let me down with gaming yet.*

Why are you in here pushing the DS when this thread is about the PSP pricing and battery life?
Didn't we cover all that already? Fine, we can get back on the battery life if you want.

I maintain that 4-6 hours is lame.

The price ain't bad at all�it's damn good, I'd say. I can see some wireless Street Fighter/Mortal Kombat/Tekken matches being very cool. I still don't know how long it will last or push the system for Sony. But it is priced damn good. Nintendo's gotta be a bit worried�even if the GBA has has more sales than the PS2. Nintendo can't own the friggin' handheld market forever. Competition will be good. Just think how bad-ass the next Game Boy is gonna be.

*Note: I never owned a Virtual Boy. Hell, I was a kid and even then had no interest at all in it. I was too busy rocking the NES and GB.

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2004, 12:24 AM

i was just trying defending the DS from the onslaught of attacks from everyone.

i still don't think PSP has enough battery life. that should have been their main focus. i don't know how many times i've wanted to break my gba because i ran out of batteries, i can see that happening to the PSP a lot with its 6 hour battery life.

Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2004, 12:27 AM

Even though you haven't used it...

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2004, 12:27 AM

My fraction of a dollar:

I completely agree with Millennium. I would like to add a couple of things, though. First, the built in mic and headset jack on the DS. Not so much for gameplay, but IP telephony at wireless hotspots, though it definitely has gameplay possibilities.

Second, and more important, the touch screen. Again, not as much for gameplay, but for what else it makes possible. Supposedly, someone is working on productivity software for this thing. Getting that sort of stuff, and the ability to sync with a computer, out will prove very critical. The DS won't be a PDA that plays games - it will be a game machine that can double as a PDA. I think that the productivity uses of the DS will far outweigh the movie/music extras of the PSP.

Think about it. The PSP lets you buy movies on yet another proprietary format (*cough* betamax *cough*) for mobile viewing on a small screen. The DS, OTOH, with the one time purchase of some software (syncing cradle included or not?) would give you contacts, calendar, etc. Given that, the lower price, and the GBA compatibility, I think that far more people will be able to justify purchasing a DS before they purchase a PSP.

BlackGriffen
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2004, 12:28 AM

i still don't think PSP has enough battery life. that should have been their main focus. i don't know how many times i've wanted to break my gba because i ran out of batteries, i can see that happening to the PSP a lot with its 6 hour battery life.
That little red LED tells you that your GBA needs to be plugged in.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2004, 12:30 AM

and you were making fun of it and you've never used it either...

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2004, 12:31 AM

Originally posted by starman:
That little red LED tells you that your GBA needs to be plugged in.

Mike
it does? thats pretty cool, although most of the time i'm not looking at the side of the gba.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2004, 12:32 AM

Quoted.

Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2004, 12:33 AM

and you were making fun of it and you've never used it either...
Actually I was quoting you

"i can say you probably haven't played it"

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2004, 12:46 AM

Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2004, 12:49 AM

Originally posted by MindFad:
Groan....
My lord if that last DS "touch" ad wasn't bad enough now we get this?

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2004, 12:55 AM

nintendo really sucks at advertising.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2004, 01:12 AM

nintendo really sucks at advertising.
Really sucks at advertising.

Though I thought that "Who are you?" ad with the kids running through the streets was awesome. Artsy fartsy, but awesome.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2004, 07:57 AM

hehe those japaneeses touch ads were horrible...lol... made me contenplate NOT buying a DS. hehe....i much say that advertising campaign....will probably have the opposite intended effect. But then again....Marketing hasnt been one on Nintendo's strong point lately (think 'kiddie' gamecube bs). Luckily theyre technical excellence make up for the crappy marketing and advertising.

update:
wow just watched the new North american DS commercials on Nintendo's website... theyre going to the other extreme with the whole image thing. the DS really looks sweet though.... the pictures dont do it justice.

http://www.nintendo.com/newsarticle?...dab&page=other
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Oct 29, 2004 at 08:06 AM. )

Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2004, 09:39 AM

So it turns out the PSP is so cheap because Sony makes 50% of the parts in it.

Sweeeeet.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2004, 10:28 AM

Those US commercials SUCK. Static annoys the piss out of me, and the rest of the ad blows.

Mike

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2004, 12:40 PM

So it turns out the PSP is so cheap because Sony makes 50% of the parts in it.

Sweeeeet.
lets hope those parts don't break as often as the PS2.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2004, 01:04 PM

lets hope those parts don't break as often as the PS2.
Still have my launch-day PS2.

Mike

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Oct 29, 2004, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by starman:
Still have my launch-day PS2.

Mike
I got mine a year or so after it came out. it did bust a few months ago, I had to rip it open and realign the damn DVD drive but I think it is cured now.

"Hello, what have we here?

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 29, 2004, 06:24 PM

Does anyone have PSP battery figures with the wireless on? If it's only at 4 hours with maximum brightness I wonder how much further down the wireless will drag it. For the DS or PSP I'd want to have the wireless on pretty much all the time, so it's easy to just start going multiplayer.

-matt

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2004, 06:58 PM

Well, I reserved my PSP at the local EB today. Can't wait.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2004, 09:48 PM

I'm going to have to agree with Fad and Badger here. The PSP seems like "stuff the most **** into something" deal. I really don't see much other than better 3D and analog stick. Let's be honest here�some things in consoles don't work well in handhelds. A hendhelp is a different kind of beast. With a handheld, it is expected, with some exceptions of course, that you can pause or stop something in about 10 seconds. Handheld games seem more about pick up and play than watching DVDs and playing 2001's games. NGage had Tomb Raider and an FPS. Did anyone like playing 1997's rehashes on that portable taco? No.

While there are a few games form back in the day, the DS, and Nintendo + GBA is general for that matter, is still more about making new stuff. The PSP's angle is "Hey, play your PS2�IN YOUR CAR!!!" I don't care about games from 4 years ago. What I want is something that all my favorite handhelds, from Tetris to Advance Wars, is the feeling that this game is actually meant to be played on a handheld, not ported and degraded.

And while 3D is cool, I think 2D just works for handhelds better. Besides, it is that nostalgia thing.

Oh, and don't forget that Nintendo has the best and most consistent game quality of both Sony and Microsoft, and one would hope the same for the DS.

While I'm guessing that the PSP will sell fairly well, Sony doesn't seem to be hyping it enough. Hell, I've already seen a DS commercial�where's PSP's? Haven't seen a damn one. They really need to step up the marketing campaign.

But I probably won't get one until I get some money and see the reaction. If the games are meh and the outlook is meh, I'll hold off on one.

Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2004, 01:38 AM

Originally posted by CreepingDeath:
And while 3D is cool, I think 2D just works for handhelds better. Besides, it is that nostalgia thing.

Oh, and don't forget that Nintendo has the best and most consistent game quality of both Sony and Microsoft, and one would hope the same for the DS.

While I'm guessing that the PSP will sell fairly well, Sony doesn't seem to be hyping it enough. Hell, I've already seen a DS commercial�where's PSP's? Haven't seen a damn one. They really need to step up the marketing campaign.
What in the of sweet zombie Jesus are you talking about?

The DS is not going to have just 2D games, they are 3D games like metroid and Super Mario 64.

As for ads, well the DS ships within a month and the PSP in the first quarter of 2005 so why in the hell would they advertise now?

On another note turns out the PSP is region free!
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20041029-4362.html
"We finally have confirmation of long-running expectations: the PlayStation Portable will feature a region lock encoding system, but that this lock system will not be used on games. PSP adopts both a "worldwide" and "regional" code system," explains Molly Smith of SCE America. "For games on PSP there is no region code. However, due to language and system issues, quality assurance procedures are done in each territory. Therefore, we recommend purchasing both the hardware and corresponding software in the same market/territory."

Forum Links
Forum Rules