Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Older Mac Pic Thread and Uses (MacQuariums/Servers/Ect)

Older Mac Pic Thread and Uses (MacQuariums/Servers/Ect)
mac-at-kearsarge
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2002, 10:47 AM

Well it had been done in almost every other Subject, So I figured I'd be the one to bring it here. But I also do it to Show off the completion of my latest project which is actually a dream come true for me, as I've been wanting to do it for a long time: That is the ability to run my own servers! I'm pleased to announce I now have a http server, POP3/SMTP Server and an FTP server. I'm doing this with less then new equipment (a PowerMac 7200 and a Centris 650). using a DNS rerouting with Dyndns.org and MacdynDNS software to route it thorugh my "dynamic: cable modem.

Checkout the setup here . Also please post your "retro" setups and what you use them for (even if it's just typing or Browsing).

P.S. I'm still tweaking the settings hence why I'm hosting the above link on my .Mac account instead of MY servers (which I will do once I tweak it, the URl of my http server is: kearsarge.homeip.net. won't be up 24/7 until I fix the updating of the IP settings.
iGeek

fat mac moron
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 1, 2002, 08:00 PM

*tag*

I love old Mac's, I think they have plenty of use still left in `em. I still need to find a nice clean 5400 at a decent price!

alphamatrix
Senior User
Oct 1, 2002, 08:46 PM

Ok, from newest to oldest here it goes.

PowerMac 7500/200
PowerMac 7200/75

200Mhz 604e CPU Card
112 MB RAM
2 Gig HD
Running Mac OS X Server 1.0 in all of its glory. 'Prolly have a web page and or a FTP up on it eventually.

75Mhz 601
32Mb RAM
500 MB HD & 1 GB HD
Running OS 9.
was going to be a legacy system used for my unsupported USB devices (Epson Photo 700 and the UMAX Astra 2200) but my USB card (MacAlly) dosnt seem to work.

LC II

16Mhz 68030
8MB RAM
80MB HD
Running OS 7.1 Pro
Will be used as a retro gaming machine when I get around to buying a LC PDS Ethernet card.

LC I

16Mhz 68020
2MB RAM
40MB HD
Running OS 7.0.1
Just picked this machine up, it had 2 RAM sticks in it but I put them in the LC II. Currently sitting around not being used.

Macintosh Classic

8Mhz 68000
2MB RAM
40MB HD
Running some variation of OS 6
Currently unused, Only has a few apps on it right now.

thefamousmred
Oct 2, 2002, 01:11 PM

I don't have any pix, but I used to run a bunch of servers on one of my trusty Mac IIci's. The whopping 32MB RAM and dual ethernet cards let me run a router (IPNetRouter), FTP, Web, Mail, File (Appleshare) and DNS. Even with all of those toys running, I still had ~10MB RAM free. Performance was surprisingly good, except for the CGI part of the web server - I tested Applescript CGIs for a bulltein board, and they were *slow*. This was all under 7.6; the machine also has a NetBSD 1.4 installation that I haven't booted in several years.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2002, 03:17 PM

I have many older Macs, but unfortunately I can't snap pics of them here at school (and I didn't bring any here with me.)

j45degrees
Forum Regular
Oct 6, 2002, 10:42 PM

I have a variety of older Macs networked for different things. One of them, a PPC7100 is used for home automation. There's a whole community of people that do this. I posted this URL; http://shed.com/ , in another message regarding selling an old computer or keeping it.

I learned AppleScript by getting involved with the people on their news list. It's really amazing what you can do with the old computer, AppleScript, and a few home automation modules. Control your lighting, garage door, alarm system, entertainment equipment...

Avon
Senior User
Oct 10, 2002, 01:04 AM

I have a Umax SuperMac C500 with a G3 240/1mb upgrade, USB card and Ethernet card that I use to serve a web cam at GeckoCam.net

The Web Site is hosted on a FreeBSD machine, but the cam is hosted on this one. I run Mac os 8.5 (or 9, Is been years since I have messed with it) and a fine product called SiteCam. Its the best web cam software ever.

Check out

http://www.geckocam.net/

for the live show. Eh, the lizard is pretty relaxed, if you see her move concider yourself lucky.

Forum Links
Forum Rules