Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > OfficeX/Studio MX detecting serial numbers when installed on 2 Macs

OfficeX/Studio MX detecting serial numbers when installed on 2 Macs
superblue
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 23, 2003, 11:00 PM

I bought copies of Macromedia MX Studio and MS Office X last year to use on my iBook. I've just got a G4 and installed them on there too. The only problem is the applications detect each other's serial numbers over the network and won't let me launch two apps from the same studio on different machines (i.e. Word on the G4, Entourage on the iBook, or Flash on the G4, Dreamweaver on the iBook)

Now I know when you buy software it's a single license, but I'm not about to go and buy a 2nd copy just for my G4. I don't use pirated software, and I don't download free MP3s. I just want to use the software I paid a lot of money for in my home, the way I want to! There's only one of me, even if there are two macs!

Does anyone have any workarounds for this? I know I can turn off the network (not ideal) and I presume I could exchange serial numbers with someone in a similar predicament... Any other ideas?

cpac
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2003, 01:13 AM

I can't speak for the MX apps, but as for office if one were, say, annoyed with the network traffic its license checking caused, one could turn on the Jaguar firewall on both networked computers and thereby prevent that network checking from going through.
cpac

BTP
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2003, 01:31 AM

You can analyze the traffic and see what port MX is using. Office is well known and you can find that fix if you look. I think MS Office is port 2222. Turn off the port, problem solved, I believe.

I guess you could use a packet sniffer to do this.

Smarter people, lend a hand?
A lie can go halfway around the world before the truth even gets its boots on. - Mark Twain

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2003, 05:16 AM

Yes, there exists a method to cripple Microsofts measures. Check your e-mail, superblue.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

superblue  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2003, 06:28 AM

Well I'm happy to say that by being a security conscious user, and simply enabling my Firewall, I have accidentally blocked MS Office from detecting itself on my other Mac.

Macromedia on the other hand, persists.

mofu
Feb 24, 2003, 12:16 PM

Try Firewalk (http://pliris-soft.com/products/fire...firewalkx.html)
it offers application specific firewalling. It is shareware that shuts off after 2 hours or something like that, should be long enough for you to see if it works. Then register if you want it full time.

You should only need it on one machine, but I'm not sure. . . .

Brickhouse seems to get all the firewall talk for OSX, but I think Firewalk is closer to what a user needs to really understand what spyware or trojans might be misusing their network access.

That said I still feel that Firewalk falls far short of ZoneAlarm/ZoneAlarmPro for Windows based PCs. ZA is by far the best personal firewall I have used.

Would be nice for someone to write a GPL OSX personal firewall app that approached the functionality of ZA . . . .anyone ???

KidRed
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2003, 12:31 PM

What about VPC? My only recourse with that was use a different serial number otehr then my legal one. However, I forgot about that when I upgraded to v6 and now my wife can't ue it while I'm downloading music

Any methods for VPC other then reinstalling from scratch with a different serial?
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2003, 06:02 PM

has anybody figured out what port Flash MX uses to communicate with other copies on the same network?

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2003, 06:36 PM

Originally posted by KidRed:
What about VPC? My only recourse with that was use a different serial number otehr then my legal one. However, I forgot about that when I upgraded to v6 and now my wife can't ue it while I'm downloading music

Any methods for VPC other then reinstalling from scratch with a different serial?
Have you tried using the firewall to prevent VPC from communicating? If that doesn't work, you can probably get it to re-request a serial by deleting the appropriate preference file. It should be in /Library/Application Support/Connectix or something.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Jun 22, 2003, 09:28 AM

Originally posted by ThisGuy:
has anybody figured out what port Flash MX uses to communicate with other copies on the same network?
try Little Snitch
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Forum Links
Forum Rules