Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Pro is Hot... Too hot! :(

Macbook Pro is Hot... Too hot! :( (Page 3)
Jean-Loup
Mar 31, 2006, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Phil333
First of all, I hope all you men know that by using any laptop on your lap, you are harming your sperm because the heat warms up the area too much and they need to live in a regulated temperature. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6677040/

Second, it is best to use some type of stand when using any laptop to keep air circulating.
Well, having two kids, my sperm's use nowadays is purely recreational... I couldn't help that one..sorry.

LJS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2006, 11:18 AM

Has anyone put a thermometer on one to see how hot it really is?

I think it would help resolve this issue, maybe some are running hotter than others.
I would suggest to measure the heat coming off the middle of the underside.
A flat thermometer like that used on an aquarium glass would probably work best. It may be able to stick right to the bottom for constant reading.

I will be getting MBP in the mean time it would be great to have others try.

KTM525
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2006, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Phil333
First of all, I hope all you men know that by using any laptop on your lap, you are harming your sperm because the heat warms up the area too much and they need to live in a regulated temperature. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6677040/

Second, it is best to use some type of stand when using any laptop to keep air circulating.

I must agree with Phill. As a single with no children guy I do wan`t to keep my sperm happy I think everybody should know that it`s not healthy for your sperm to keep ANY laptop on your lap. And by ANY I mean even the once that feel really cool compared to the MBP.
Of course there are many people who don`t care.
I almost never use my laptops on my lap but on a stand that is just great and can be adjusted to any size and height.
I am hovewer planning on using a notebook cooler. Does anyone have any suggestions???

I think this one is just sweet http://cgi.ebay.com/Aluminum-Cooler-...QQcmdZViewItem

hakstooy
Forum Regular
Mar 31, 2006, 12:40 PM

I posted earlier that I measured the temp with an infrared thermometer and it never got above 110 F anywhere on the bottom.

Voch
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2006, 09:19 PM

I use my warmish TiBook on my lap while reclined in my living room reclining couch. I even keep AC power hooked to it all the time. The trick is to keep an area between my knees for air to circulate underneath by crossing my legs at my ankles and I can use it for hours.

It does get quite hot when I run, say, a big code build or something CPU intensive. Since those take so long on this 'ol machine I'll put it on my CoolPad on my dining room table and watch it from a distance.

I'm hoping to get the same experience out of an MBP if/when I finally break down and get one..I'm still waiting to see what the non-Pro MacBooks will have. My concern is that the MBP gets warm on the *sides* and not the bottom middle like the TiBook so my spread-'em trick may not work too well.

Voch

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2006, 11:31 PM

You could do what I'm doing right now and cross your legs so you're balancing the MBP on one thigh under the centre.

Voch
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2006, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by mintcake
You could do what I'm doing right now and cross your legs so you're balancing the MBP on one thigh under the centre.
Does that work? I'm serious about this concern about the MBP. Is the bottom middle of the machine cool?

Voch

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2006, 08:29 AM

The heat is mostly on the left-hand side of the machine, but I'd be lying if I said the middle was 'cool' under heavy use.

The MBP I'm typing this on has been on all night running Azureus which is reasonably processor heavy, and the bottom of the machine is warm (but comfortable) to the touch in all areas except the bottom centre and right, under the trackpad and the optical drive, where it's reasonably cool.

Voch
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2006, 11:42 AM

That sounds reasonable. I'm hitting CompUSA this weekend to check out the MBP in person but will buy from Apple when the time comes.

I know it's time to put down my TiBook from my lap when the fan comes on. I'm usually doing something CPU-intensive and time consuming so I take it as a sign to take a break and let it chug.

Voch

amazing
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2006, 01:00 PM

I checked 5 MBPs at the local Apple Store.

2 of the 5 were much hotter than the "norm", mostly in the middle back.

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2006, 09:50 AM

I posted thermocouple readings from my 2GHz Book - page one of this thread, 8 posts up from the bottom. Both processors running "balls to the wall" running BOINC.

Z

trance2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2006, 04:15 AM

I got a Coolmaster NotePal for heavy usage but under normal usage, surfing and coding it runs at an acceptable temperature. Also you might want to run your laptop unplugged if you feel like it's way too hot for your lap. The power management in Mac OS X must have tuned down the power usage.

Yea, the heat from the laptop is a bit untolerable for me and I am also a bit uncomfortable of how hot it runs. This is something I can deal with because the Pros this laptop has to offer out weights the cons.
( Last edited by bobbo; Apr 5, 2006 at 04:59 AM. )

thingsthatgobump
Apr 5, 2006, 04:31 AM

*edit*

maby not...
( Last edited by kamina; Apr 5, 2006 at 04:40 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules