Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Question About iPhone's Shiny Bezel

Question About iPhone's Shiny Bezel
DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2008, 03:12 PM

My iPhone is scratched to hell. Not the glass or the back, but the shiny chrome bezel around the front of the device. I've used the phone exclusively in a variety of "protective" cases. Ironically, one of those cases caused the damage. So I have an idea.

What if I took the finest grain sandpaper I can, mask off everything but the bezel and turn that shiny surface into a brushed surface? My main concern is that the "chrome" isn't really metal, but a plastic. What do you think a fine sanding would do to that surface?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 31, 2008, 07:37 PM

I think you should live with it. But if you want to take sandpaper to metal, then good luck. I bet it's a thin application of metal over the frame.

DigitalEl  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2008, 07:57 PM

After reading a lot online, I ended up trying Brasso metal polish. It took about 85% of the scratches out. I'm VERY pleased with the results and can't believe I'd never heard of the stuff before.

The bezel looks literally good as new on 3 sides, while the bottom still has some faint scratches. I guess that's where the case did the most rubbing for all those months. Even there, I'm guessing some elbow grease and a few more applications of Brasso will take care of it.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2008, 08:10 PM

Brasso was a good idea, it worked wonders on my old iPod, took out almost all the scratches accumulated over 3+ years. The bezel is really prone to scratching, I've noticed with almost all my friend's iPhones. I sort of wish they made it more like the iPod touch and put a metal/graphite bezel on it that doesn't stick out as much.

DigitalEl  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2008, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5
The bezel is really prone to scratching, I've noticed with almost all my friend's iPhones. I sort of wish they made it more like the iPod touch and put a metal/graphite bezel on it that doesn't stick out as much.
Hear! Hear!

And I'll renew my public cry for a ruggedized iPhone. A brick cut from that nasty black plastic Motorola uses for their Nextel devices that cops and construction workers carry.

Shiny & pretty looks great on a beech & glass table at an Apple store. In the real world, something that's bulletproof, but still with Apple's incredible UI and OS, would be more ideal for (I'm guessing) a large segment of the populace.

I'd choose a hardened iPhone over a pretty one anyday.

Forum Links
Forum Rules