Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > How is the 1 GHz Sonnet upgrade ?

How is the 1 GHz Sonnet upgrade ?
Thread Tools
dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Where my body is
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 27, 2002, 11:51 PM
 
I'm planning to upgrade my system with a 1Ghz Sonnet upgrade and an ATI 8500 so I can really enjoy 10.2. I think this will allow me another 12 to 18 months to put more cash aside and buy Apple's next major upgrade with a 22" Studio Display.
I was wondering if anyone has upgraded their system with Sonnet's upgrade and how is it?
I currently have a 400 MHz AGP with 1Gb of ram.
     
sideus
Mac Elite
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 28, 2002, 12:20 AM
 
As far as I know, the upgrade is not shipping yet and now has an ETA of September. I pre-ordered the Sonnet 1GHz upgrade July 17 and then cancelled it on Aug 24th and bought a brand new dual 867 instead.
     
frock83
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jul 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 28, 2002, 05:04 AM
 
I havent received mine yet (ordered it for <650$ at megamacs.com), but when I do I'll tell you how it performs. It seems to be a better value than the powerlogix upgrade with slightly better specs (7455 proccessor and 2mb DDR lvl3 cache) and a much lower price (650 vs 800).

It says they will ship in early september, hopefuly they wont keep me waiting..
     
dlefebvre  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Where my body is
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 28, 2002, 08:17 AM
 
Originally posted by frock83:
It seems to be a better value than the powerlogix upgrade with slightly better specs (7455 proccessor and 2mb DDR lvl3 cache) and a much lower price (650 vs 800).
Powerlogix upgrade is a little to expensive. Beside I trust Sonnet, I never had any problems when I upgraded my Power Computing a few years ago.
Now if they only would do a CPU trade up program. I wouldn't mind getting $150 back from my 400, but I guess I'm just dreaming.
     
tr
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 28, 2002, 10:36 AM
 
Originally posted by frock83:
I havent received mine yet (ordered it for <650$ at megamacs.com), but when I do I'll tell you how it performs. It seems to be a better value than the powerlogix upgrade with slightly better specs (7455 proccessor and 2mb DDR lvl3 cache) and a much lower price (650 vs 800).

the price difference between the two isn't really that much, i've seen the sonnet for about $680-$700 and the powerlogix for about $750.

and as for better specs, i found some interesting article report on the use of SDR vs. DDR L3 cache in the 7450. the sonnet has 2mb DDR L3 cache, while the powerlogix has 2mb SDR L3 cache.

http://www.powerlogix.com/downloads/SDRDDR.pdf

okay, so the report is put out by powerlogix, but their tests and info are very interesting.


tr
     
BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Apr 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 28, 2002, 11:05 AM
 
I ordered the Sonnet from Buy.com ($655 shipped). It looks like a better deal, with 1 MB more L3 and faster conection (500 Mhz, vrs 250 Mhz) for about $100 less.

Just checked and it is NOT shipping. If you check out the Macsales review of the PL 1 GHz chip, it looks like you will get 2-5x performance.

BZ
     
iamnid
Senior User
Join Date: Mar 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 29, 2002, 12:03 AM
 
The guy over at xlr8yourmac.com got a hold of the series 100 1ghz upgrade card for the cube... it SHOULD perform essentially the same as what you are looking for. Here is his review of the upgrade card:

http://xlr8yourmac.com/G4CARDS/power...ghz/index.html
     
tramahound
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: nj
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 30, 2002, 05:20 PM
 
has anybody gotten the powerlogix 1ghz upgrade for their cube? if so, how difficult was it to install (i've only cracked my cube open for ram install, hdd swap and airport card install), have you had any problems, and do you think it's worth the $?
i'm really tempted to upgrade to a giga-cube. i was planning on getting a new powermac, but they are looking like a stop-gap between something much better so i want to hold out a bit. this might help with the wait
     
CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 30, 2002, 05:35 PM
 
Originally posted by tramahound:
has anybody gotten the powerlogix 1ghz upgrade for their cube? if so, how difficult was it to install (i've only cracked my cube open for ram install, hdd swap and airport card install), have you had any problems, and do you think it's worth the $?
i'm really tempted to upgrade to a giga-cube. i was planning on getting a new powermac, but they are looking like a stop-gap between something much better so i want to hold out a bit. this might help with the wait
Read the post above yours.
     
BobW
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jun 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 30, 2002, 05:36 PM
 
I have the PowerLogix 1GB Processor upgrade in my G4/450/AGP/ 1.25GB Memory. Runs like a new machine. Also just installed the Radeon 8500 card. Running two monitors.

I don't know how Sonnets upgrade will compare, but I'm completely satisfied with the PowerLogix.
     
tramahound
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: nj
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 30, 2002, 05:40 PM
 
Originally posted by CheesePuff:


Read the post above yours.
i did, and i read the entire xlr8yourmac article, but it didn't really tell how reliable they found it (they only reported two "problems" but how long could they have had it?), and the guy who wrote the article admitted that he's taken apart his cube frequently so the half hour time it took him wouldn't really mean much to my inexperienced hands. i was hoping to get some real world reports about it...
     
dlefebvre  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Where my body is
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 31, 2002, 01:08 PM
 
Originally posted by BobW:
I have the PowerLogix 1GB Processor upgrade in my G4/450/AGP/ 1.25GB Memory. Runs like a new machine. Also just installed the Radeon 8500 card. Running two monitors.

I don't know how Sonnets upgrade will compare, but I'm completely satisfied with the PowerLogix.
I guess I'll have to check PowerLogix upgrade now that is has 2Mb L3 cache. It was one reason I was more interested in Sonnet upgrade. I didn't want to pay a $100 more for only 1Mb of L3. Plus the fact that I was satidfied with the G3 500 Sonnet upgrade on my old Power Computing.
So far I upgraded to a Radeon 8500 and I finally have 2 monitors. The CPU upgrade will come in the next few weeks.
     
BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Apr 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 31, 2002, 02:10 PM
 
Sonnet better hurry up and ship these puppies otherwise I am going with Powerlogix.

There is still a $30 price difference and the Sonnet L3 runs at a higher speed (500 Mhz vrs 250 Mhz) so in theory should run a little quicker.

Sonnet
- 1 Ghz 7455 G4 / 256K L2 @ 1 Ghz / 2MB L3 @ 500 Mhz - $641 (Dealmac)

Powerlogix
- 1 Ghz 7455 G4 / 256K L2 @ 700 Mhz - 1 Ghz / 2MB L3 @ 250 Mhz - $681 (Dealmac)

Still looks like Sonnet is the better deal in terms of price and theoritcal speed.

Still waiting for mine.

BZ
     
dlefebvre  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Where my body is
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 31, 2002, 05:28 PM
 
Looks like everybody is waiting for Sonnet. Can't wait to get feedback from happy costumers. I really want to know the real speed improvment with these upgrades.
     
milhous
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Millersville, PA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 1, 2002, 03:23 AM
 
Just remember that once upon a time, Sonnet was selling overclocked processor upgrades and advertising it as the native clock speed.

Because of this alone, I'll take PowerLogix or Newer over Sonnet anyday.
F = ma
     
Alexei
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York, NY
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 1, 2002, 06:26 PM
 
Just ordered a PowerLogix 1GHZ upgrade for my Sawtooth. At first I wanted to go with Sonnet but with all that overclocking and now the ESD is late September... I went with PowerLogix. Especially since they cut the price and added another 1Mb to L3 cache.
The bigger issue is either to sell your PowerMac and get a new dualy or upgrade it. I decided to have my cake and eat it too. I'm upgrading what I have now and will get next or after the next rev. while using my current Mac as a secondary machine. 1GHz is good enough for most of the things even Jag, so it'll live for a while. Yes, I'll give it to my younger bro to play with.
my2c.
     
Alexei
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York, NY
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 1, 2002, 07:04 PM
 
BTW, I picked up my card at Macs4all for $679+shipping. G4 7455/2MbL3cache.
my2c.
     
dlefebvre  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Where my body is
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 2, 2002, 02:27 PM
 
I just checked on Other World Computing web site and noticed a slight price increase on Sonnet's 1GHz upgrade. It's now $699.95, compare to Powerlogix $695.97 tag price. Also the fact that Sonnet is still not shipping (15 days) and that Powerlogix is availlable rigth now will make me go for Powerlogix. Now, if I can only get my Bonus check...
     
BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Apr 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 2, 2002, 06:58 PM
 
It is still $641 at buy.com. No ship date.

I still think the $50 and 250 Mhz L3 speed is worth it.

BZ

Originally posted by dlefebvre:
I just checked on Other World Computing web site and noticed a slight price increase on Sonnet's 1GHz upgrade. It's now $699.95, compare to Powerlogix $695.97 tag price. Also the fact that Sonnet is still not shipping (15 days) and that Powerlogix is availlable rigth now will make me go for Powerlogix. Now, if I can only get my Bonus check...
     
superlarry
Senior User
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: california
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 2, 2002, 08:29 PM
 
Originally posted by BZ:
It is still $641 at buy.com. No ship date.

I still think the $50 and 250 Mhz L3 speed is worth it.

BZ

here's the link if you're interested:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...=31302&loc=101
     
macaddled
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York, NY, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 3, 2002, 10:15 AM
 
Originally posted by Alexei:
and now the ESD is late September...
Where did you hear this?
     
frock83
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jul 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 3, 2002, 05:03 PM
 
The estimated shipping date of late september is on sonnets web page if you goto the product page and click pricing, you'll see that the shipping date is late sept. They have postponed it from early september in order to do more compatibility tests and to make sure it's completely ready for release.
Personally, I beleive these sonnet upgrades will be more quality than the powerlogix.
     
driven
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 4, 2002, 01:58 AM
 
Powerlogix now steps up and offers a dual processor version.

Ohhhh .... decisions ....
     
powerlogix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jun 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 4, 2002, 02:31 AM
 
OK guys...everyone will say this is biased...but the truth always comes out.

1. There is zero difference between DDR cache and SDR cache. The only thing that matters is size (ok not trying to be funny.) Just read the L3 cache white paper which is here: <http:http://www.powerlogix.com/press/rele...02/020826.html> It's not marketing or spin, its a technical paper and the facts are facts.

2. You can get a single processor now and upgrade to a dual later if you like, with Powerlogix. Sonnet doesn't even have a single yet, let alone a dual. This means you could buy a single 1gig now for $699 retail (or less at your favorite outlet) and when dual 1gigs drop to say, $699 and singles are $399, you could upgrade again and double the number of processors for three hundred bucks. This is a good way to spread out the cost and your net cash out is $200 less.

3. The best bang for the buck is the single 800 for $449 retail. This is $50 less than Sonnet, and again, it's shipping, not vaporware. Upgrade path applies to this as well.

Last, but not least...Powerlogix is much cooler than Sonnet. Sonnet doesn't post on the forums either.

Cheers,
PLX
     
driven
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 4, 2002, 08:57 AM
 
And yes ... we do appreciate your postings to MacNN.

Just a few technical questions while I have your ear ....

1. How much faster is the Dual 800 over the Single 800 and Single 1Ghz. (I'm upgrading a G4 Cube).

2. How loud is the fan associated with the Dual 800?

3. How much extra strain is this going to place on my Cube's power supply? (I don't want to prematurely kill it since I imagine that it will be a nightmare to get a replacement)

Thanks in advance.
     
99switcher
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: America's Dairyland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 4, 2002, 09:53 AM
 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by powerlogix:
[B]OK guys...everyone will say this is biased...but the truth always comes out.

1. There is zero difference between DDR cache and SDR cache. The only thing that matters is size (ok not trying to be funny.) Just read the L3 cache white paper which is here: <http:http://www.powerlogix.com/press/rele...02/020826.html> It's not marketing or spin, its a technical paper and the facts are facts.

2. You can get a single processor now and upgrade to a dual later if you like, with Powerlogix. Sonnet doesn't even have a single yet, let alone a dual. This means you could buy a single 1gig now for $699 retail (or less at your favorite outlet) and when dual 1gigs drop to say, $699 and singles are $399, you could upgrade again and double the number of processors for three hundred bucks. This is a good way to spread out the cost and your net cash out is $200 less.



3. The best bang for the buck is the single 800 for $449 retail. This is $50 less than Sonnet, and again, it's shipping, not vaporware. Upgrade path applies to this as well.

Last, but not least...Powerlogix is much cooler than Sonnet. Sonnet doesn't post on the forums either.

Cheers,



Doesn't look like either vendor has a 133 MHz bus version available yet.
     
frock83
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jul 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 4, 2002, 04:17 PM
 
I have a question about the sonnet 1gighertz upgrade that I couldnt find the answer to anywhere else. I see that they are compatible with my 133mhz bus digital audio system as well as the older AGP graphics and gugabit ethernet models which have 100mhz bus. Will installing this upgrade change my bus speed down to 100 mhz or will it not affect the bus? The confusion spawns from powerlogix which has 2 different upgrades for both 100 mhz bus systems and 133mhz bus systems. Anyone care to clarify?
     
milhous
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Millersville, PA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 4, 2002, 05:34 PM
 
Originally posted by powerlogix:
OK guys...everyone will say this is biased...but the truth always comes out.

1. There is zero difference between DDR cache and SDR cache. The only thing that matters is size (ok not trying to be funny.) Just read the L3 cache white paper which is here: <http:http://www.powerlogix.com/press/rele...02/020826.html> It's not marketing or spin, its a technical paper and the facts are facts.

2. You can get a single processor now and upgrade to a dual later if you like, with Powerlogix. Sonnet doesn't even have a single yet, let alone a dual. This means you could buy a single 1gig now for $699 retail (or less at your favorite outlet) and when dual 1gigs drop to say, $699 and singles are $399, you could upgrade again and double the number of processors for three hundred bucks. This is a good way to spread out the cost and your net cash out is $200 less.

3. The best bang for the buck is the single 800 for $449 retail. This is $50 less than Sonnet, and again, it's shipping, not vaporware. Upgrade path applies to this as well.

Last, but not least...Powerlogix is much cooler than Sonnet. Sonnet doesn't post on the forums either.

Cheers,
PLX
you guys are great! powerlogix will certainly get my future processor upgrade business, no question about it.

but i can't help myself to ask this question: do you currently see any demand by the public for faster G3 pismo chips then the G4 upgrades that you and Newer are presently offering? is there any hope that we can see some ibm sahara g3 upgrades for our pismos down the road? a simple yes, no, or stay tuned response will do. thanks.
F = ma
     
joe
Mac Elite
Join Date: May 2000
Location: northeast PA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 4, 2002, 09:52 PM
 
Originally posted by driven:
1. How much faster is the Dual 800 over the Single 800 and Single 1Ghz. (I'm upgrading a G4 Cube).

As a Cube owner that previously converted from a single 500 to a dual 500, I think it's safe to say that the answer depends entirely on the software you're running. Just about all of Apple's apps along with most professional apps will benefit greatly from a dualie in OSX. Consumer apps (like games) are a mixed bag. Quake3 will nearly double in frame rates on a dualie (the dual 800 will SOUNDLY trash the single GHz). However, most games and other consumer apps do not support dualies. So in those cases the GHz will be faster than the dual 800 - although not by as wide a margin. So if you're a gamer, the GHz is probably the best way to go. If you're a pro user or spend a lot of time working with video, graphics, or are simply a rabid Quake3 fan - the dual 800 is the better choice.

3. How much extra strain is this going to place on my Cube's power supply?

The Cube's supply has turned out to be very durable for me. I upgraded my Cube with a 7200rpm 100gig hard drive, dual 500 cpu, an OEM GeForce3 graphics card, and an oversized 80mm x 25mm 3000rpm variable speed cooling fan. That was completed last April (started the previous fall) and I haven't had any problems. I think it's safe to say the Cube's supply can handle one of the cpu cards you listed. Also, the only cpu card PL claims will be a power strain for the Cube is the dual GHz which isn't in your list - so you should be OK.

Good luck upgrading your Cube. I'm still trying to decide between the dual 800 and the GHz. I'm not a pro user so the GHz seems like the way to go. But I'm also a rabid Q3 fan and that dual 800 is looking pretty good too. ARGH!! decisions, desicions ......joe
     
driven
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 4, 2002, 11:47 PM
 
Originally posted by joe:
Originally posted by driven:
1. How much faster is the Dual 800 over the Single 800 and Single 1Ghz. (I'm upgrading a G4 Cube).

As a Cube owner that previously converted from a single 500 to a dual 500, I think it's safe to say that the answer depends entirely on the software you're running. Just about all of Apple's apps along with most professional apps will benefit greatly from a dualie in OSX. Consumer apps (like games) are a mixed bag. Quake3 will nearly double in frame rates on a dualie (the dual 800 will SOUNDLY trash the single GHz). However, most games and other consumer apps do not support dualies. So in those cases the GHz will be faster than the dual 800 - although not by as wide a margin. So if you're a gamer, the GHz is probably the best way to go. If you're a pro user or spend a lot of time working with video, graphics, or are simply a rabid Quake3 fan - the dual 800 is the better choice.

3. How much extra strain is this going to place on my Cube's power supply?

The Cube's supply has turned out to be very durable for me. I upgraded my Cube with a 7200rpm 100gig hard drive, dual 500 cpu, an OEM GeForce3 graphics card, and an oversized 80mm x 25mm 3000rpm variable speed cooling fan. That was completed last April (started the previous fall) and I haven't had any problems. I think it's safe to say the Cube's supply can handle one of the cpu cards you listed. Also, the only cpu card PL claims will be a power strain for the Cube is the dual GHz which isn't in your list - so you should be OK.

Good luck upgrading your Cube. I'm still trying to decide between the dual 800 and the GHz. I'm not a pro user so the GHz seems like the way to go. But I'm also a rabid Q3 fan and that dual 800 is looking pretty good too. ARGH!! decisions, desicions ......joe
Joe,

THANK YOU for the reply.

I mostly use my Cube for video editing and some graphics work. The only games I really play on the Cube are Oni and Quake 3 (when I have free time, which is rarely.) Generally I find my Athlon better for games anyway. From your description it seems as if the Dual 8 would be better for me. (I didn't include the Dual gig since PowerLogix said it would be a bad idea.)

Thanks again ... as we speak I'm attempting to upgrade my hard disk in my cube. (WD 7200 80MB w/ 8MB Cache ...) That's IF I can get these darn files backed up. <GRIN>
     
99switcher
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: America's Dairyland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 5, 2002, 07:13 AM
 
Originally posted by powerlogix:
OK guys...everyone will say this is biased...but the truth always comes out.

1. There is zero difference between DDR cache and SDR cache. The only thing that matters is size (ok not trying to be funny.) Just read the L3 cache white paper which is here: <http:http://www.powerlogix.com/press/rele...02/020826.html> It's not marketing or spin, its a technical paper and the facts are facts.

2. You can get a single processor now and upgrade to a dual later if you like, with Powerlogix. Sonnet doesn't even have a single yet, let alone a dual. This means you could buy a single 1gig now for $699 retail (or less at your favorite outlet) and when dual 1gigs drop to say, $699 and singles are $399, you could upgrade again and double the number of processors for three hundred bucks. This is a good way to spread out the cost and your net cash out is $200 less.

3. The best bang for the buck is the single 800 for $449 retail. This is $50 less than Sonnet, and again, it's shipping, not vaporware. Upgrade path applies to this as well.

Last, but not least...Powerlogix is much cooler than Sonnet. Sonnet doesn't post on the forums either.

Cheers,
PLX

OK Powerlogix, when will the Series 133 be available?
     
joe
Mac Elite
Join Date: May 2000
Location: northeast PA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 5, 2002, 11:28 PM
 
Originally posted by driven:
Joe,

THANK YOU for the reply.

I mostly use my Cube for video editing and some graphics work. The only games I really play on the Cube are Oni and Quake 3 (when I have free time, which is rarely.) Generally I find my Athlon better for games anyway. From your description it seems as if the Dual 8 would be better for me. (I didn't include the Dual gig since PowerLogix said it would be a bad idea.)
[/QUOTE]

AWESOME choice! Don't forget to let us know all the details .....joe
     
driven
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 6, 2002, 01:36 AM
 
Originally posted by joe:
Originally posted by driven:
Joe,

THANK YOU for the reply.

I mostly use my Cube for video editing and some graphics work. The only games I really play on the Cube are Oni and Quake 3 (when I have free time, which is rarely.) Generally I find my Athlon better for games anyway. From your description it seems as if the Dual 8 would be better for me. (I didn't include the Dual gig since PowerLogix said it would be a bad idea.)


AWESOME choice! Don't forget to let us know all the details .....joe
[/QUOTE]

Will do.

I e-mailed a few vendors today about availability of the duals. I'll be happy to upgrade by years end ... (sooner even better ... budget permitting ...)
     
BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Apr 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 6, 2002, 08:44 AM
 
Just an update...

I got sick of waiting for Sonnet to ship the damn thing so cancelled my order at buy.com for $655 and bought the PL 1 Ghz from OWC for $705 shipped and it has shipped.

Sonnet does not get it. You can't wait three months to release something. People who buy computers want immediate satisfaction or will start to think of alternatives.

Now lets just hope this 1 Ghz G4, 2 GB of RAM, Radeon 8500 and a Western Digital 120 GB SE drive will hold me till the next gen of the PPC.

BZ
     
dlefebvre  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Where my body is
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 6, 2002, 01:16 PM
 
For the first time, I'm happy I waited a little while. As I was ready to place my order on the 1GHz Powerlogix upgrade, they released duals. Now, Should I go with Dual 800 or Dual 1GHz? One thing for sure, with one of these, I'll definitly be able to wait for Apple's next major revision.
     
powerlogix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jun 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 6, 2002, 11:50 PM
 
Originally posted by frock83:
I have a question about the sonnet 1gighertz upgrade that I couldnt find the answer to anywhere else. I see that they are compatible with my 133mhz bus digital audio system as well as the older AGP graphics and gugabit ethernet models which have 100mhz bus. Will installing this upgrade change my bus speed down to 100 mhz or will it not affect the bus? The confusion spawns from powerlogix which has 2 different upgrades for both 100 mhz bus systems and 133mhz bus systems. Anyone care to clarify?

Sonnet has one card for both, because they are doing a single processor card.

Our card is a dual card (that can be built as single.) Because of the extra size, it's impossible to have one card fit in both machines, due to the connector on the 133mhz motherboards being in a different location than on the 100mhz motherboards.

Your system bus will run the same.
     
powerlogix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jun 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 6, 2002, 11:52 PM
 
Originally posted by milhous:


you guys are great! powerlogix will certainly get my future processor upgrade business, no question about it.

but i can't help myself to ask this question: do you currently see any demand by the public for faster G3 pismo chips then the G4 upgrades that you and Newer are presently offering? is there any hope that we can see some ibm sahara g3 upgrades for our pismos down the road? a simple yes, no, or stay tuned response will do. thanks.

The G4 in a Pismo works because it's pin for pin compatible with the original G3. There is no way to add a sahara to the existing Apple Pismo daughtercard because the footprints are different.
     
powerlogix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jun 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 6, 2002, 11:53 PM
 
Originally posted by 99switcher:



OK Powerlogix, when will the Series 133 be available?
First production is underway. We'll have them in your hand's shortly.
     
powerlogix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jun 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 6, 2002, 11:57 PM
 
Originally posted by dlefebvre:
For the first time, I'm happy I waited a little while. As I was ready to place my order on the 1GHz Powerlogix upgrade, they released duals. Now, Should I go with Dual 800 or Dual 1GHz? One thing for sure, with one of these, I'll definitly be able to wait for Apple's next major revision.
Just make sure you have the right UniNorth revision in your AGP.

http://www.powerlogix.com/support2/n...100/index.html
     
powerlogix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jun 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 6, 2002, 11:58 PM
 
Originally posted by BZ:
Just an update...

I got sick of waiting for Sonnet to ship the damn thing so cancelled my order at buy.com for $655 and bought the PL 1 Ghz from OWC for $705 shipped and it has shipped.

Sonnet does not get it. You can't wait three months to release something. People who buy computers want immediate satisfaction or will start to think of alternatives.

Now lets just hope this 1 Ghz G4, 2 GB of RAM, Radeon 8500 and a Western Digital 120 GB SE drive will hold me till the next gen of the PPC.

BZ
BZ...thanks for the support! Drop an email to [email protected] and I'll send you a special PowerLogix freebie.
     
Alexei
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York, NY
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 7, 2002, 02:20 PM
 
Damn it, my Mac is uni-north 3 (Power Mac AGP). No dualy for me otherwise I'd prefer dual 800.
I guess I have to rely on PowerLogix prowess to release faster cards in the future and trade up if I'm going to keep this Mac.
     
powerlogix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jun 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 7, 2002, 02:29 PM
 
Originally posted by Alexei:
Damn it, my Mac is uni-north 3 (Power Mac AGP). No dualy for me otherwise I'd prefer dual 800.
I guess I have to rely on PowerLogix prowess to release faster cards in the future and trade up if I'm going to keep this Mac.
Try MacresQ or MegaWatts...they often have Gigabit Ethernet motherboards for reasonable prices.
     
99switcher
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: America's Dairyland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 7, 2002, 04:45 PM
 
Originally posted by powerlogix:


First production is underway. We'll have them in your hand's shortly.

Including the single CPU units?
     
powerlogix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jun 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 7, 2002, 07:20 PM
 
Yes, single and dual...it's the same circuit board.
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:08 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,