Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Jaguar Back-up Strategy

Jaguar Back-up Strategy
Starry Night
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2004, 06:22 PM

Aloha,

I have a 1.25ghz G4 PowerMac running 10.2.6 with one 80GB HD. I'm considering buying an 80GB Seagate Barracuda internal Ultra ATA HD to use for back-ups. I'd like to set-up the Seagate to be a fully bootable clone of the main hard drive in case the main one should fail at some point. For my usage, 80GB will last me much longer than the life of the computer, hence I thought it would be a good idea to have a bootable backup HD since I can spare the space.

My questions are:

1) For the second HD, is it best to manually install Jaguar from the CD's that came with the PowerMac, or to use something like Carbon Copy Clone?

2) Once the second HD is set-up, I'd like to use it to backup my Documents folder on a daily basis, and the Home folder at least once a week. I don't mind doing it manually myself, but I'm unclear how it works in Jaguar. For instance, can I simply drag the Home folder over to the second hard drive and have it easily replace the existing Home folder (on the 2nd HD), or is it more complex than that? When I want to update the 2nd hard drive, do I have to completely re-copy the entire hard drive each time, all 20GB of it?

3) This is more of a hardware question, but is it easy to install an internal HD myself? I've successfully installed ram into an ibook, is it any more complex than that? Beyond that, I have no experience under the hood.

Thanks,
John

Forum Links
Forum Rules