Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Delete Files from TRASH !!! wont let me!!

Delete Files from TRASH !!! wont let me!!
Starfrog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2001, 09:55 AM

I have some files in my trash can that wont delete ? it says they are in use but I know that all the files for that application are in the trash? one of them is a quicktime clip and it says its in use but it isnt as far as i can tell. How do I force the trash can to empty? where is it located so i can do it manually ? I have logged on as root but that still doenst work and I dont wont my trashcan filling up with trash that i cant delete!

all help welcome
Regards

Starfrog
G4 Quicksilver 867 Mhz 1.5 Gig Ram 80GB HD Geforce3 17'Apple LCD Soundsticks + iSub External Lacie 16x10x40 CDRW Epson C80 Printer Canon Scanner 650U and Powermac 5400 all-in-on :) LC 575 all-in-one and a Bag of Jellybeans

schwa
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 7, 2001, 01:15 PM

Yeah, this is a completely annoying OS X quirk. Typically, the reason you can't delete a file is because it's locked. Open up the Trash and check the file in Inspector.

If you're willing to brave the command line, cd to .Trash from your home directory (don't forget the period). Then type:

rm -rf *

Translation:
rm = Remove
-rf = Two flags. r means delete recursively (delete folders and their contents). f means delete without prompting for permission, regardless of file permissions (it's the equivalent of a sledgehammer).
* = Wildcard (delete everything)

suthercd
Senior User
Jul 8, 2001, 11:33 AM

Another work around is to log out and log in- hassle but it seems to assign user or group privileges to items in the Trash.

A slower but somewhat "safer" Terminal command line is:

rm -ri ~/.Trash/*

The -r is as schwa explained
The -i requests confirmation (y,n) before deleting each file
The tilde-right slash dot Trash points the command at your user trash

You can eliminate the "i" and all files will be deleted, no comfirmation

Starfrog  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2001, 12:13 PM

Thankyou to both of you guys for helping but I still have a one file that just refuse's to budge!!! its a folder and it shows up in the trash can if I open it but if i do a ls in the terminal when Im in the trash it doesnt show up? If I try and move it out of the trash it says its in use and wont let me (it does make a copy of itself on the desktop but still is in the trash as well (eg i have multiple copies of it) now if I take these copies and place them back in the trash they delete but the original one stays there telling me that its in use (remember this is a folder so how a folder can be in use is beyond me!!) all I dream of is a nice empty clean trash can !!

all your help is very welcome

Kind regards
Regards

Starfrog
G4 Quicksilver 867 Mhz 1.5 Gig Ram 80GB HD Geforce3 17'Apple LCD Soundsticks + iSub External Lacie 16x10x40 CDRW Epson C80 Printer Canon Scanner 650U and Powermac 5400 all-in-on :) LC 575 all-in-one and a Bag of Jellybeans

Cowdog
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 8, 2001, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by Starfrog:
<STRONG>I still have a one file that just refuse's to budge!!!...</STRONG>
Check to see if the file is locked. Often when I try to delete something and it won't go in the finder or through rming in the terminal the stupid thing is locked. (cmd i uncheck lock)

I usually use 'sudo rm -R [drag files from finder to terminal window]' for my deletes

And your quicktime movie that was 'in use' was probably viewed in column view before you trashed it, eh? That happens to me too.
moof. home of the quintuple edit.

Starfrog  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2001, 08:30 PM

****** Success!!!!!!*******

Well it drove me nuts so in the end I decided to reinstall OS X (I was planning on doing it anyway as it was kinda flaky since i loaded so much crap onto it) anyway I do a clean install of OS X and then proceed to do all the updates (I have 2 HD's one with classic and one with os x so i didnt touch the classic HD) after all the updates I look at my trash and what do I see............... The DAMN FILE IS STILL FREAKING THERE!!!!! how can it be!!! has this thing got a life of its own ? well I take another look and what do I find!!! the file (actually its a folder) and its a hidden folder but it shows up in the trash on my OS X but the folder is in a hidden folder on the classic HD (which i didnt touch so it was still there lurking and waiting to get me!!) so I kill that folder which is located in the .trashes folder of my classic HD and what ya know its now off my system in future i will search all HD's to ensure that its not on one of them.

Thanks
Regards

Starfrog

Forum Links
Forum Rules