Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Predictions: Election 2006

Predictions: Election 2006 (Page 2)
BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2006, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by ink View Post
My prediction: The Senate will be held by the Republicans, but the House will change parties. Lieberman may have a LOT of power in the new Senate -- but that's only an outside chance because I think the GOP will still have a 50% margin.
I think it's a pretty good bet the Senate will be tied, and it's true that Lieberman will have a lot of power. But there are several Republicans like Snowe who will stop much of the Repub's crazier stuff if it's going to be close. And people like Warner and Graham are perfectly willing to ignore the White House machine on foreign policy issues. Lieberman is really only with Republicans on Iraq. He's a liberal on most other issues. In the House, who has the majority is key, but in the Senate, being close counts for a lot.

The Left
Baninated
Nov 6, 2006, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
"The Left" is clearly a troll, a conservative caricaturing liberals.
huh?

greenamp
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2006, 07:40 PM

Dems will not gain enough to take control of the house nor the senate. Most of the so called close races aren't really all that close, like the senate race here in TN for instance. Corker will win decisively, but the polls say otherwise.
( Last edited by greenamp; Nov 6, 2006 at 07:41 PM. Reason: gramah)

kobi
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2006, 08:14 PM

Ha! Coker doesn't have a prayer. Ford has TN.

Corker has about as much hope as Kathleen Harris winning FL or Allen winning VA.

All you have to do is look at History. Every midterm election since 1960 both the House and the Senate has changed hands.

I hope all the right wingers enjoyed George's corruption for the last 6 years.

Because come Wednesday, it's going to be a whole new ball-game.

Prediction: Dems gain House 25-30 Senate 6-8
The Religious Right is neither.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2006, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by kobi View Post
All you have to do is look at History. Every midterm election since 1960 both the House and the Senate has changed hands.
What happened during Bush's first "midterm"?

Your "history" is off a little.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2006, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by kobi View Post
Ha! Coker doesn't have a prayer. Ford has TN.

Corker has about as much hope as Kathleen Harris winning FL or Allen winning VA.

I hope all the right wingers enjoyed George's corruption for the last 6 years.

Because come Wednesday, it's going to be a whole new ball-game.

Prediction: Dems gain House 25-30 Senate 6-8
I'm voting for neither just to be clear. Corker will in fact win by a comfortable margin.

Ford will carry Nashville and Memphis of course (where the majority of polling is sampled from), with Corker carrying everything else.

The state that put ultra conservative Bill Frist in office will hardly give his seat to a liberal Dem like Ford. The polls here saying the race is close are horribly inaccurate, and/or biased (sadly).

kobi
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2006, 08:47 PM

Sorry I forgot to say every midterm during "wartime"

Helmling
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2006, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Spliffdaddy View Post
GOP will lose 6 seats in House & 2 in Senate.

Lieberman will be the only 'Independent' candidate to win election.

Unprecedented Republican turnout on election day will spell defeat for the expected "Democratic takeover".

Widescale whining about voter fraud, disenfranchisement, and 'hacked' electronic voting machines. ONLY in precincts where Democrats were ahead in the polls leading up to the election.

My opinions are based on decades of watching polling results be proven wrong in every election. Unless Democrat is ahead by 9+ points in the polls, the Republican will usually win.

I'll be lounging on a cruise ship for a while. Should be back in the states on November 12th. Not sure how much election info I'll have access to - so it'll be a surprise for me when I return.

Make me proud. Post your prediction along with a brief explanation so we can compare it with the official results.

I'm leaving besson3c in charge while I'm away. Since he's both Canadian and American. And he plays the saxophone, I think. I've been to Canada and I used to play the sax, so he's a good replacement for the Spliffster.

Time to don my pimp hat and show Holland America Lines what a drunk redneck looks like.
I have no predictions...only hopes.

I hope the American people will soundly rebuke the politics of fear, the enemies of freedom, the keepers of secrets, the party of corruption, the bearers of hypocrisy...I hope America will turn its back on this party that has used its one party rule to subvert the constition, to denigrate the name of democracy, to manipulate the populace through empty appeals to morality they obviously don't follow, and to cynically attempt to reshape the world in the image of that which they believe will be most profitable to them.

That is what I hope for, because only if we get rid of the Republican stranglehold on power in this country will there be any hope of turning America back onto a sane and enlightened course for the 21st century.

kobi
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2006, 09:02 PM

Amen Helmling.
I'm glad to see a post with intelligence and grace.
It's a breath of fresh air in this stagnant (sometimes) right wing sewer of a board.
Thanks.

hey!_Zeus
Banned
Nov 6, 2006, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Helmling View Post

I hope the American people will soundly rebuke the politics of fear, the enemies of freedom, the keepers of secrets, the party of corruption, the bearers of hypocrisy...I hope America will turn its back on this party that has used its one party rule to subvert the constition, to denigrate the name of democracy, to manipulate the populace through empty appeals to morality they obviously don't follow, and to cynically attempt to reshape the world in the image of that which they believe will be most profitable to them.

That is what I hope for, because only if we get rid of the Republican stranglehold on power in this country will there be any hope of turning America back onto a sane and enlightened course for the 21st century.
WOW!!

macintologist
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2006, 09:16 PM

Osama would vote Republican if he had the chance. He loves war and hates gays.

DLQ2006
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2006, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by macintologist View Post
Osama would vote Republican if he had the chance. He loves war and hates gays.

Na, he would be a NAMBLA member if he's not one already. The Islamofascists prefer little boys. Muhammad even promises plenty of young boys in Paradise for those that don't prefer the 72 virgins. I guess the appeal of radical Islam to the ACLU types makes more sense afterall.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2006, 08:08 AM

It's going to be a close series. The Democrats are younger and have more energy, but the Republicans are wiley veterans who are used to winning it all lately. The Republicans just got through a tough series against Islamofascism, though, which has sapped their strength. Both sides have plenty of people who are free-agents, and are basically playing for their jobs.

There's been some good pitching by the Republicans lately, including a gem by "The President" G. W. Bush, who still has two years left on his contract. In the series against Islamofascism, he pretty much killed Saddam "The Dictator" Hussein. If Bush can pitch the way he did in his prime six years ago, then the Republicans have a shot. The Democrats really have no top-tier pitchers left. Maybe Hillary, but she doesn't look as good as she did when she was younger. However, the Democrats have quite an offensive lineup this year, and I expect them to take quite a few of those pitches to left field, and most likely take the series in seven games.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2006, 08:53 AM

That was poetic.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2006, 09:45 AM

They did. In 1994 and in every election since.

Don't fool yourself. This Democratic "tidal wave" (more like a ripple now) is nothing more than any "wave" in any midterm during the second term of a two-term president.

In fact, historically the polls indicate this to be far, far milder than history shows us. The average loss is 30 seats and FDR lost 45. (wartime) The more realistic estimates based on the most recent polling indicate around 20 in the house and that the GOP will likely keep the Senate.

But hey, thanks for such a nice post, hyperbolic nonsense though it may be.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 09:56 AM

After watching Hacking Democracy (which is freely available on Google Video), I feel uneasy that this will be a fair election for either side. I'm sure there will be plenty more machine malfunction.

I just hope that there isn't also voter suppression.

DakarĀ²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2006, 10:04 AM

I wonder how many pages this will be by tomorrow morning.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2006, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
After watching Hacking Democracy (which is freely available on Google Video), I feel uneasy that this will be a fair election for either side. I'm sure there will be plenty more machine malfunction.

I just hope that there isn't also voter suppression.

Just remember that one of the strengths of our voting process here is that it's local. Some states make use of the newer, less secure voting machines more than others.

Here in New York State, we have lever-based mechanical machines that are generally falling apart, and spare parts are becoming more expensive to come by. These machines don't leave any paper trail, either: the votes are counted on mechanical dials, like old-style pinball games. I posted in the other thread that a study of raw election results have shown that dial totals that end in "99" come up more frequently at the end of an election than other combinations, probably because the mechanism fails sometimes when more than two dials are to be moved. Since there is no paper trail, the votes just disappear.

They also depend on pieces of paper put into slots next to the levers to let you know which lever counts for which candidate. In our town elections last year, a few of the pieces of paper "slipped", and some people saw the Democrats' name between two levers. This wasn't reported until a few dozen people in total used those machines. The margin ov victory for the Republican was, IIRC, in the single digits!

But one reason why we still have them is that, with this experience behind us, New York State is hesitant to take on another system without a paper trail, so we haven't adopted any of the new machines yet.

Here is an advocacy site for Verified Voting in New York State with more info:
New Yorkers for Verified Voting

edit: I forgot to add, because of the Electoral College, even the Presidential election is not really one election, but fifty separate elections. And the President and each state's two senators (and the few states with only one representative in the House) are the only elections which are even state-wide. Every other election in the country is for offices that are relatively local in terms of districts (smaller than a state), so local control of elections makes a lot of sense.
( Last edited by Dork.; Nov 7, 2006 at 10:33 AM. )

Mark Larr
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2006, 10:21 AM

In other words, dead babies piled to the sky, Christianity declared illegal punishable by death, the welcoming of islam as the state mandated religion, the banning of the right to own an SUV, the requirement to wear Birkenstocks, the release of all child predatory sex offenders, removing any sort of monitor over the borders, giving complete unregulated welfare to any freeloader, the confiscation of any means for the public to protect themselves while giving criminals free reign to pillage willy nilly, punish all business into bankrupsy, and much much more.
Shut up and eat your paisley.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Nov 7, 2006, 12:32 PM

"The Left" is clearly a troll, a conservative caricaturing liberals.
i agree.
ebuddy

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Nov 7, 2006, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by The Left View Post
huh?
Your posts aren't even "left". in fact, I can't even begin to describe what they are, but their degree of zeal goes beyond that which is humanly possible. Even for a leftist.

My prediction; these elections are simply too close to call. The Reps will lose seats, it's just a matter of how many and will Dems win control of the House and Senate. Anything short of taking control of one or both will be a loss for Dems. The Republican turnout will be unprecedented unfortunately so will the Dems.

The only major difference is there will be a surprising number of dead people and traditionally they lean Democrat.

In honesty though, this will not be a referendum on Republicans, this will be viewed as a referendum on their inability to communicate to the public.
ebuddy

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2006, 01:00 PM

I think it's a pretty good bet the Senate will be tied
Not to say you are wrong, but just some advice: don't be on that.

A tie is a difficult scenario to achieve because it has to be so exact. So unless you are getting great odds, don't take that bet.

It's like betting on the Arizona Cardinals to win the Super Bowl.

Take the Colts, even if Peyton Manning will choke in the playoffs. At least you won't look as silly.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2006, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
i agree.
So I'm not the only one.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2006, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by davesimondotcom View Post
Not to say you are wrong, but just some advice: don't be on that.

A tie is a difficult scenario to achieve because it has to be so exact. So unless you are getting great odds, don't take that bet.

It's like betting on the Arizona Cardinals to win the Super Bowl.

Take the Colts, even if Peyton Manning will choke in the playoffs. At least you won't look as silly.
You're right, but I just meant compared to the other possibilities: Dems +1, Repubs +1, etc.

DakarĀ²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2006, 01:03 PM

Not at all. I called it a joke account in another thread.

DLQ2006
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2006, 01:26 PM

IOW: back onto a politically correct course of insanity whereby policy decisions that give more rights to illegal, radical Islamists lead to our towers having mindless drones crash airplanes into them.

Yea, it's just been a nightmare having to live the last 5 years free of successful acts of terrorism perpetrated in the U.S, record low unemployment, home-ownership at an all time high, gas prices constantly lower than those in most other industrialized nations, an all time high GDP, low taxes while revenues are at an all time high (Thank-you Ronald Reagan for teaching the world this basic economic principal, even if your Democratic congress spent two dollars for every one dollar brought in through higher revenues).

It's been hard times because we are at war and every life lost or ruined is heart-breaking. Those returning home should be treated like kings for the rest of their lives and they should want for nothing. The families of those that do not return home alive should be treated like Royalty for the rest of their lives. Unfortunately, neither party will make sure that happens but I don't want the party in power that calls them stupid, murderers that terrorize women and children in the dark of the night either. At minimum, they shouldn't have to endure that kind of disrespect and hatred.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2006, 01:45 PM

I personally think that there are going to be some very close races and when all is said and done the Democrats will have taken the House by a small majority and the Senate will be in Republican hands.

I also hope that some sort of mixed Congress will force everyone to the middle a bit, and negotiation will become something that happens, rather than ramrodding legislation through.

Looking at my ballot today, I voted (in various races) for:

* 2 races I left blank because I didn't want either candidate and the third party was a weirdo
* 2 races (local house and Senate) I voted Democrat - one because I really like the candidate (he was my UPS guy for ages and will bring some youth to the Montana Legislature) and one because the GOP candidate in the race is so obsessed with abortion as an issue that he makes me uncomfortable being a pro-choice Republican.
* Voted the "Democrat way" on two Initiatives and the "Republican way" on the others. To me, it was voting "my way."
( Last edited by davesimondotcom; Nov 7, 2006 at 02:35 PM. )

Dork.
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2006, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by davesimondotcom View Post
I* 2 races I left blank because I didn't want either candidate and the third party was a weirdo
I always vote for the weirdos if I don't like either party's candidate. It's my message tothe major parties that if I don't like who they're putting up, I'l gladly throw my support to someone else, and if enought people feel this way, they'll be in trouble! I stopped short of voting for the Socialist Workers' Party or the Rent Is Too Damn High party's candidate for Governor, though.

(Yes, we have a Rent Is Too Damn High party in NYS, although the powers-that-be bade them take the "Damn" out....)

DLQ2006
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2006, 02:17 PM

[QUOTE=Dork.;3195959]
It's going to be a close series. The Democrats are younger and have more energy,
The Democrats always tend to be younger. All those wet behind the ears, gullible kids that think they are so much smarter than those older than them, still yet to learn that they aren't just because their liberal arts professors tell them they are.

but the Republicans are wiley veterans who are used to winning it all lately.
Used to inflation rates at a 20 year low.

Used to a stock market at a new all-time high and stronger 401K's.

Used to Unemployment at a 25 year low.

Used to taxes at a 20 year low.

Used to Federal tax revenues at an all-time high.

Used to a Federal deficit that is down almost 50%.

Used to Home valuations up by 200% over the past 3.5 years.

Used to not having a single terrorist attack on US soil since 9/11/01.

Used to Osama bin Laden living under a rock in a dark cave.

Used to having 95% of Al Queda's top dogs either dead or in custody, cooperating with
U.S. Intel.

Used to major terrorist attacks being thwarted by US and British Intel, including the recent planned attack involving 10 Jumbo Jets being exploded in mid-air
over major US cities.

Used to terrorist cells from all over the region coming out of their hiding places and flooding into Iraq in order to get their faces blown off by US Marines.

These are some things I don't mind being used to.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2006, 03:00 PM

[QUOTE=DLQ2006;3196398]
Originally Posted by Dork. View Post

The Democrats always tend to be younger. All those wet behind the ears, gullible kids that think they are so much smarter than those older than them, still yet to learn that they aren't just because their liberal arts professors tell them they are.

Used to inflation rates at a 20 year low.

Used to a stock market at a new all-time high and stronger 401K's.

Used to Unemployment at a 25 year low.

Used to taxes at a 20 year low.

Used to Federal tax revenues at an all-time high.

Used to a Federal deficit that is down almost 50%.

Used to Home valuations up by 200% over the past 3.5 years.

Used to not having a single terrorist attack on US soil since 9/11/01.

Used to Osama bin Laden living under a rock in a dark cave.

Used to having 95% of Al Queda's top dogs either dead or in custody, cooperating with
U.S. Intel.

Used to major terrorist attacks being thwarted by US and British Intel, including the recent planned attack involving 10 Jumbo Jets being exploded in mid-air
over major US cities.

Used to terrorist cells from all over the region coming out of their hiding places and flooding into Iraq in order to get their faces blown off by US Marines.

These are some things I don't mind being used to.
I'm quite used to this government cracking down on our freedoms and it is quite disgusting.

Mark Larr
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2006, 03:48 PM

Which ones?

Like taking guns away?

Like censoring blatant lies on the news by news anchors?

Oh yeah the smoking ban was the demoncrats idea.
Shut up and eat your paisley.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2006, 04:53 PM

Both the Republicans and Democrats love to talk about standing up for preserving rights. But, yet, they both fail to do so, in fact, even fight to take away rights. As long as it's a right they don't want.

Choice, marriage, guns, speech, cigarettes, whatever it may be, someone is after your right to do it.

Unfortunately, voting for either of them results in rights I want to preserve being eroded.

Rumor
Nov 7, 2006, 06:19 PM

I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2006, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by DLQ2006 View Post
IOW: back onto a politically correct course of insanity whereby policy decisions that give more rights to illegal, radical Islamists lead to our towers having mindless drones crash airplanes into them.

Yea, it's just been a nightmare having to live the last 5 years free of successful acts of terrorism perpetrated in the U.S, record low unemployment, home-ownership at an all time high, gas prices constantly lower than those in most other industrialized nations, an all time high GDP, low taxes while revenues are at an all time high (Thank-you Ronald Reagan for teaching the world this basic economic principal, even if your Democratic congress spent two dollars for every one dollar brought in through higher revenues).

It's been hard times because we are at war and every life lost or ruined is heart-breaking. Those returning home should be treated like kings for the rest of their lives and they should want for nothing. The families of those that do not return home alive should be treated like Royalty for the rest of their lives. Unfortunately, neither party will make sure that happens but I don't want the party in power that calls them stupid, murderers that terrorize women and children in the dark of the night either. At minimum, they shouldn't have to endure that kind of disrespect and hatred.
You play their game well. Just keep spouting the same stuff over and over again...keep pretending that only reckless and indiscriminate use of force will make us safe from terrorists, even though our own intelligence agencies are clearly indicating the opposite is true.

We're not at war. We're occupying a country. The difference is that we can win any war anywhere on this Earth...now, holding together a fragmented country with nothing more than supposedly good intentions (which don't quite cloak our profit motives) is a lot harder.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2006, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
They did. In 1994 and in every election since.

Don't fool yourself. This Democratic "tidal wave" (more like a ripple now) is nothing more than any "wave" in any midterm during the second term of a two-term president.

In fact, historically the polls indicate this to be far, far milder than history shows us. The average loss is 30 seats and FDR lost 45. (wartime) The more realistic estimates based on the most recent polling indicate around 20 in the house and that the GOP will likely keep the Senate.

But hey, thanks for such a nice post, hyperbolic nonsense though it may be.
Hyperbolic? I wish it were...I wish it were. I wish I was exaggerrating just a little bit more than I wish people like you would open your eyes to what this administration is doing: smearing America's good name, dismissing the Constitution (it's just a piece of paper, you know, according to Bush)...god, I could go on, but it would only make my head hurt more (no hyperbole, I've got a screecher of a headache right now, honest.).

Helmling
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2006, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Larr View Post
In other words, dead babies piled to the sky, Christianity declared illegal punishable by death, the welcoming of islam as the state mandated religion, the banning of the right to own an SUV, the requirement to wear Birkenstocks, the release of all child predatory sex offenders, removing any sort of monitor over the borders, giving complete unregulated welfare to any freeloader, the confiscation of any means for the public to protect themselves while giving criminals free reign to pillage willy nilly, punish all business into bankrupsy, and much much more.
And I just got accused of hyperbole. I hate to be so blunt, but your post is too ridiculous to waste one more

P.S. Get it?

The Left
Baninated
Nov 7, 2006, 09:07 PM

preliminary results are looking fantastic!!!!!!!!

Helmling
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2006, 09:10 PM

Gee, weren't the previous five years also free of successful acts of terrorism perpetrated in the US? Record low unemployment? You mean, a five-year low? Um, that's just the low for the Bush presidency, no? And let's talk about more than unemployment, how about quality of jobs? How about the growing insecurity of America's pensions under Republican governance? Or, how about the spiralling US consumer debt? Hell, how about the national debt? Or let's get down to what the Republicans are really all about, let's talk about the gap between rich and poor. That's one neither party ever really talks about because they're all rich, white men and they don't ever want to address the real problem: The rich ard richer and the poor are poorer.

Well, I was studying Pearl S. Buck with my students not too long ago and one line from The Good Earth keeps ringing through my head as I contemplate the future of America if this corruption continues:

"When the rich are too rich and the poor are too poor...there are ways."

Helmling
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2006, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
That was poetic.
Thanks, I'm just wishing I hadn't misspelled Constitution. I just discovered that Safari has a built in spell-checker...doh!

This is all the politics I can stomach for now...I'm going to go distract myself until midnight or so and then check the news and find out what tomorrow brings.

DLQ2006
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2006, 10:27 PM

Gee, weren't the previous five years also free of successful acts of terrorism perpetrated in the US? Record low unemployment? You mean, a five-year low? Um, that's just the low for the Bush presidency, no? And let's talk about more than unemployment, how about quality of jobs? How about the growing insecurity of America's pensions under Republican governance? Or, how about the spiralling US consumer debt? Hell, how about the national debt? Or let's get down to what the Republicans are really all about, let's talk about the gap between rich and poor. That's one neither party ever really talks about because they're all rich, white men and they don't ever want to address the real problem: The rich ard richer and the poor are poorer.

Well, I was studying Pearl S. Buck with my students not too long ago and one line from The Good Earth keeps ringing through my head as I contemplate the future of America if this corruption continues:

"When the rich are too rich and the poor are too poor...there are ways."
I hope that whichever party is in control of congress tomorrow, and whichever party wins the Presidency in 08, that they will keep us from being attacked again. That those who are barely making it paycheck to paycheck will be better off. That there will not be such a divide between the very rich and the very poor. Not that I want socialism, just fair wages and benefits for hard work.

What party I vote for and lean toward is about which one I truly believe is the best party for the country (warts and all). Neither major party is perfect and both have some bad players, but I want what is best for this country and that comes first. If the Democrats can do better, then we will all be better off. I don't hope for bad things to happen so that any particular party will be back in power. I'm an American first and have no loyalty to the Republicans that I wouldn't throw out the window in a hearbeat if I thought the Democrats could do better.

I hope I am wrong and pray that in a few years we are not discussing whose at fault for another attack where thousands, maybe millions of Americans lay dead next time. If I were a betting person though, I'd bet that now that we as a collective society, feel that we are too compassionate and moral to do what it takes to hand a military defeat to our enemies so fierce that they would think God himself struck them down and beg for mercy, that we will pay dearly for it one day with our own lives and way of life. And I hope I am wrong!

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 7, 2006, 10:49 PM

I'm surprised to see two independents get seats, although Liberman is still a Democrat (he said he's going to continue to caucus as a Democrat), so technically, he really doesn't count. The other independent is an ex-Dem and very left leaning. So right now the senate seems to be:

44 seats - Democrat
45 - Republican
1- Independent
10 still undecided.

If you're looking at is as left vs. right it's an even 45/45 between the left and the right.

Edit: CNN seems to be calling it 45/45.

Edit: Ahhh, both independents are caucusing with the Dems. So it is actually 45/45.

The House looks definitely like it's going to the Dems.
( Last edited by goMac; Nov 7, 2006 at 10:56 PM. )
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

DakarĀ²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2006, 11:11 PM

Santorum lost PA.

I took a photo of him (with the future pres) when he visited the company I work at a few years ago.
For the life of me I have no idea why he visited, and I don't think anyone ever told us, either.

saddino
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2006, 11:23 PM

I hope that whichever party is in control of congress tomorrow, and whichever party wins the Presidency in 08, that they will keep us from being attacked again.
The controlling party has nothing to do whether or not we will get attacked again. Al Qaeda waited 7 years between attacks on the World Trade Center. It's only been 5 years since 9/11.

The Left
Baninated
Nov 7, 2006, 11:23 PM

in the end, it was his allignment with Bush that rightly (hehehe) did him in

zerostar
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2006, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Spliffdaddy View Post
GOP will lose 6 seats in House & 2 in Senate.
Meanwhile here on earth...

"Democratic Shift -- Major Garrett reports GOP hopes to hold House losses under 30 seats"

A far cry from 6, and hey enjoy your trip because I guess you will have a surprise when you get back.

There is a real turn going on here in american politics, each side obviously has the delusional vocal fringe, many of those seem to have found this forum, but the majority of american are ready for a change.

I bet by them time '08 rolls around they will remember why they changed it in the first place though.

Edit to add: as of now Dems need 3 more seats to control the senate and 5 more to take the house. I don't think either is doable and they may actually slip a few more but its a big change that is for sure.

ink
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2006, 12:02 AM

NBC is calling the House for the Democrats right now.

The Left
Baninated
Nov 8, 2006, 12:03 AM

3 senate races in contention yet:

Montana: whats the news there?

Missouri: I predict a Democratic victory, Talent is only up by a bit and St. Louis and KC precincts are not even in yet.

likewise in VA:
VIrginia: CNN is reporting that the last precincts to come in are Democratic so bodes well for there....

so at this point cautiously optimistic that the Dems will still get the Senate as well.

The Left
Baninated
Nov 8, 2006, 12:04 AM

yup house is a done deal, easy Democratic 20 seat gain MINIMUM...more like 30 to 40.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2006, 12:06 AM

I am actually quit shocked at the outcome of this! Must go to bed... see the results in the morning.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2006, 12:09 AM

CNN has projected now that the Dems have successfully taken the house.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Forum Links
Forum Rules