Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Testing ethernet on G4

Testing ethernet on G4
bangeman
Feb 4, 2000, 07:10 PM

I have a G4 that won't work with my cable modem. The modem worked fine with my beige G3 with IPNetRouter (dial-up for upstream and cable for downstream) but I have been unsuccessful getting it to work with my G4. The cable company is no help since they don't officially support the Mac. My question is this: is there some utility (other than Apple System Profiler) I can use to test whether my ethernet port is working on my G4? I've changed cables and swapped modems so I don't know that I have any other option.
Thanks.

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 5, 2000, 04:29 AM

If you still have the Beige G3 or can borrow another Mac, hook the two together and see if you can copy a folder full of small files. If they all make it, then the ethernet is most likely okay.

The G4 does use different ethernet circuitry than the G3. Does your cable modem have its own built-in dial-up or does it require the G4 to dial-up as well?

drewman

bangeman
Feb 5, 2000, 01:34 PM

The G3 is dead, dead, dead. The G4 uses the internal model to dial up and the cable modem handles only downstream (but this is supposed to change "soon" according to my cable company). I don't have easy access to another machine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules