Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 9.1 and DSL

OS 9.1 and DSL
Barked
Mar 8, 2001, 01:34 PM

I recently upgraded to OS 9.1 and now I can't get my DSL to connect. It tells me that PPP is not loaded, and FreePPP doesn't seem to allow for DSL scripts.

exa
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 8, 2001, 07:23 PM

Aren't you supposed to use PPPoE? Get Enternet and use it then... I had to reinstall Enternet when I upgraded to 9.1...

Barked  (op)
Mar 9, 2001, 12:28 AM

Yeah I am supposed to use MacppoET but when I launched it it said "Can't find module." Did you reinstall macppoet then it worked? I thought of that but haven't done it.

Corinthian
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2001, 10:55 AM

Hello:
I used to use macPoET before my upgrade to 9.1 failed, and I am now using 9.0.2 with Enternet 300. I have the same situation before and the problem is the same. I tink if you can choose, though the programme is too bad, I think you'd better switch to EnterNet, better 300.
TiBook rulezz~~

TiBook 800/512/40/Combo Drive
TiBook Giga/512/60/SuperDrive

richard f
Mar 10, 2001, 06:30 PM

I am on DSL and never use FreePPP....all you need is to setup OpenTransport, set TCP/IP to Ethernet, plug in your settings (IP, DNS, etc) and you're in business.....FreePPP is a dialup solution only, I think?!?

doglips
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2001, 12:02 AM

I use Enernet 300 and had to re-install after upgrading to 9.1. I think the manual says anytime open transport is upgraded you must re-install connection software.

doglips
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2001, 12:08 AM

I use Enernet 300 and had to re-install after upgrading to 9.1. I think the manual says anytime open transport is upgraded you must re-install connection software.

exa
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 11, 2001, 01:07 PM

Yeah Enternet can be finicky. Enternet is the only viable PPPoE solution out there, you need MacPoet open for a connection I believe, which is not good. You can't simply put your data in the TCP/IP settings because most DSL services use the wretched PPPoE protocol.

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2001, 01:16 PM

I have DSL with Qwest, using a Cisco 675 router/modem and TCP/IP via DHCP. No probs here with 9.1 other than DVD access.

error404ts
Mar 11, 2001, 02:03 PM

I got my Earthlink DSL line about 4 months ago and using MacPoet with 9.04 it took a while for MacPoet to launch (a good 10-15 seconds at least) and then upgraded to 9.1 as soon as it came out. My connection is now more stable (very very very few crashes) and MacPoet launches immediately. I use version 1.02 which originally came with my installer software and have not upgraded since I heard how buggy other people's software has been.

Best of luck....

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 12, 2001, 04:02 AM

I'm using MacPoet as well. I have DSL from Earthlink (Covad) on a Pismo 400 Powerbook. I upgraded from 9.04 to 9.1 with Zero problems. Internet and other software is noticable faster now. But like others, I'm connecting using the Ethernet setting on my TCP/IP.

PeteWK

Forum Links
Forum Rules