Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft (Page 93)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 1, 2017, 12:39 PM

Makes me think of the chickens mod in sky factory

cycl0pse
Senior User
Aug 1, 2017, 12:51 PM

Now that we've had a few people on the server, and had 3 or so people at a time, has it been running smooth enough? I notice on my own client that if I hit a spot with a lot of mobs I get lag, or if I have a ton of items. But for the most part it has been running pretty smooth.

I think I mentioned this before, but for now I have the server wide open. Once we see who is on it regularly I was going to white list all the users and lock it down. I'm not super concerned with who uses it as long as a regular can vouch for the person.

Also, let me know if the reboot time of 3AM EST is OK with everyone. If we have someone who usually plays around then I have no problem adjusting the time. The reboot really helps with memory consumption. The host has been nice enough that if our memory creeps over the 4GB line they don't hard limit it (it did once early on when I was loading all the chunks) but I want to stay in their good graces.

Finally, backups are set right now for every 2 hours. Since we really don't leverage backups except for disasters I might make it even less frequent, like once a day or so.

cy

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 1, 2017, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by cycl0pse View Post
Now that we've had a few people on the server, and had 3 or so people at a time, has it been running smooth enough?
Liquid smooth for me. First time I'v e been able to use far draw distance and I was going berserk with a haste-hammer with no block lag.

I think I mentioned this before, but for now I have the server wide open. Once we see who is on it regularly I was going to white list all the users and lock it down. I'm not super concerned with who uses it as long as a regular can vouch for the person.
I have a buddy just getting into MC with his oldest son on the Xbox, trying to coax him into the server to really blow their minds. I'll make sure to run over etiquette with him first of course.

Also, let me know if the reboot time of 3AM EST is OK with everyone. If we have someone who usually plays around then I have no problem adjusting the time. The reboot really helps with memory consumption. The host has been nice enough that if our memory creeps over the 4GB line they don't hard limit it (it did once early on when I was loading all the chunks) but I want to stay in their good graces.
If I'm still up at 3am the server restart will be a good reminder to go the f to sleep.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 1, 2017, 06:51 PM

I had a three momentary locks in the 30 min I was on, but I'm not sweating it.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2017, 04:23 PM

Now that we've had a few people on the server, and had 3 or so people at a time, has it been running smooth enough? I notice on my own client that if I hit a spot with a lot of mobs I get lag, or if I have a ton of items. But for the most part it has been running pretty smooth.
It's been mostly good for me. Like Dakar, it hangs up once or twice per session, but nothing too troublesome.

Also, let me know if the reboot time of 3AM EST is OK with everyone. If we have someone who usually plays around then I have no problem adjusting the time.
Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
If I'm still up at 3am the server restart will be a good reminder to go the f to sleep.
That's what happened to me last night. I usually only sleep about five hours per night; night time after the kids go to sleep is usually when I either hop on Steam or do some graphic work for my job. Since I'm an hour behind you guys, it counted down at 2:00 and I hopped off in the last minute. I don't even know what it does at that time, or for how long it's down.

I have a buddy just getting into MC with his oldest son on the Xbox, trying to coax him into the server to really blow their minds. I'll make sure to run over etiquette with him first of course.
Sounds good to me. The more the merrier, in my book.

Just warn them about the mobs. Actually no, don't warn them.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 2, 2017, 04:28 PM

I'm doing pretty well in my vanilla world but my two struggles are diamonds are exceedingly rare and I can't get a slime to spawn to save my life. I think I'm going to go camp a swamp biome tonight to see if that works.

Also there's no villages near me but I was in a nether fortress last night so decided to just build a portal and exit there and dumb luck put me right outside a desert village.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Aug 2, 2017, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
That's what happened to me last night. I usually only sleep about five hours per night; night time after the kids go to sleep is usually when I either hop on Steam or do some graphic work for my job. Since I'm an hour behind you guys, it counted down at 2:00 and I hopped off in the last minute. I don't even know what it does at that time, or for how long it's down.
OK, so all it does is reboot the server side. Takes a few minutes, usually no more than 5. If you watch you'll see the server go 'unavailable' then show back up as 'available' in a few minutes. I went ahead and bumped the time from 3AM to 4AM since we do have some late players.

Why reboot the server? Well, to keep this from getting to technical the RAM just grows and grows if you don't. So a session will start out with 1.5 used, but by the end of the day it's up near 3.5 or 4 GB used. The reboot gets us back down to that 1.5 mark for the next day.
... it also whacks any random mob spawns so they don't build up to unbearable levels.

cy

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2017, 08:08 PM

Authentication servers down?

http://xpaw.ru/mcstatus/

cycl0pse
Senior User
Aug 2, 2017, 08:30 PM

I'm online and fine.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Aug 3, 2017, 08:55 AM

Things seem to be running reasonably well. I get the occasional hiccup but they are pretty easy to ignore (unless it happens when fighting a creeper... then it's a bit more explosive (ouch!)). I've also had a few instances where chunks failed to load, but a quick logoff-logon solved that. All in all it's a very good experience. With the auto reboots and auto backups the server is more or less automated. I watch it now and again for resource monitoring but so far it's behaving itself. I even have it configured that if it 'crashes' it will reboot itself in about 20 minutes.

All this is good things, because I"m heading out on vacation starting tomorrow and will have very limited access for a week. I'm pretty sure any issue could wait a week, but if not just hit me up with a PM here and I'll be notified via e-mail.

cy

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2017, 10:14 AM

Enjoy your vacation!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2017, 11:13 AM

I made a mistake last night and lost a tremendous amount of loot due to catching on fire while mining.

I immediately made my way back to the scene and found my severed head on the ground, with none of my haul available to pick back up. Is that how it works in this mod pack? I'm fine if it is — I'm just making sure I'm not missing something.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 3, 2017, 11:57 AM

Well camping a swamp at night got me my slime. Amusing.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Aug 3, 2017, 01:13 PM

I made a mistake last night and lost a tremendous amount of loot due to catching on fire while mining.

I immediately made my way back to the scene and found my severed head on the ground, with none of my haul available to pick back up. Is that how it works in this mod pack? I'm fine if it is — I'm just making sure I'm not missing something.
Good news: you're missing something. The gravestone mod keeps all your stuff, not "some", not "most"... "all" of your stuff in that gravestone (XP is another matter... it's mostly gone. oh well, can't have it all). Make sure you have enough inventory space for all of it, then walk on top of it and hit "SHIFT" and all your old stuff should flow back into you. Note, if you right-click (or equivalent) on it the grave will "lock" and not let you unload from it. Just right-click again to unlock.

Also, if you double-click your death marker in Journeymap you can delete them if you want. I suggest doing this AFTER recovering the loot. I just get annoyed seeing all my reminders that I'm 1) careless 2) die a lot. Maybe I should just get myself a zombie skin and call it a day

cy

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2017, 04:45 PM

I dunno I think your average zombie is harder to kill than you are cy

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 3, 2017, 04:50 PM

Enjoy my deathmarker for a while

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2017, 08:28 PM

I set up a trade-o-mat in the village because I couldn't think of a better place. Trash for treasure!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2017, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
If you have issues with textures in the config folder there is a splash.propteries file, change enabled to false.
So I've been having missing texture glitches since day one, finally got around to trying this aaaaand no dice. Much of Thermal Expansion is invisible, as is the Tinker shovel (weirdly since other tinker stuff is fine). Thermal Foundation ores are also without a proper texture in worldgen. 99% of everything else seems to be fine, but theres quite a bit of stuff I'm starting to make uses for in my head that is still invisible.

Is this not happening for you guys? If not I'll probably just try a fresh install of the modpack going forward.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2017, 09:49 PM

You can try in game to reload the resources. this is the same fix as the splash. If that doesn't work deleting and reloading the pack may be your only hope. You can do it from in the twitch app.

https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Debug_screen

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2017, 07:23 PM

That worked brilliantly, thanks Blaze!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 8, 2017, 10:34 AM

At some point I'm going to need a tutorial on how to repair those fancy tools you gave me sek.

I seem to have become overly concerned with organizing my place.

Bummed out there's no wool slabs.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 8, 2017, 11:54 PM

Alright, I'm 80% in. I have no big plans, but I wiki'd a little at work now that i have some vague sense of the mod.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2017, 07:52 AM

Well you could use chisel and bits to make wool anything. There's a copy paste mechanic so it isn't silly to do.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2017, 11:36 AM

Since I missed out on the last server, I'm still unfamiliar with Tinkers' Construct, so I had to save a ton of info from their wiki last night. I'll be studying that before I get too far into anything else now that I've gathered a healthy amount of materials.

Any other essential mods from ATM Lite that you guys would say I can't ignore?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 9, 2017, 12:28 PM

Well you could use chisel and bits to make wool anything. There's a copy paste mechanic so it isn't silly to do.
I'll keep that in mind and see if I can find a tutorial. I'm the mean time I settled for some nice wood flooring

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2017, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
At some point I'm going to need a tutorial on how to repair those fancy tools you gave me sek.

I seem to have become overly concerned with organizing my place.
I'll be on tonight if you want a quick tinkers tutorial.

Alright, I'm 80% in. I have no big plans, but I wiki'd a little at work now that i have some vague sense of the mod.
Are you planning on striking off on your own or is the Fatty/Dakar collab still on? The whole peninsula I claimed has some pretty cool features and I would defer all structure and interior design to you. I'm more interested in setting up the systems to aid our way forward.

Since I missed out on the last server, I'm still unfamiliar with Tinkers' Construct, so I had to save a ton of info from their wiki last night. I'll be studying that before I get too far into anything else now that I've gathered a healthy amount of materials.

Any other essential mods from ATM Lite that you guys would say I can't ignore?
I can't live without Tinker's so you're off to a good start with that mod. It can also double your ores so it kind of takes the place of some of the low level tech mods at first. Extra Utilities is a great kitchen sink mod and has all sorts of cool items and blocks to craft. Immersive Engineering will be a must if you plan on building and rail systems too.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 9, 2017, 12:41 PM

I am sure as **** Not striking out on my own. Part of my reticence to starting anew was having to start from scratch. I still have next to no gold, diamonds or lapis. Being able to access your equipment, as I learn or need it is the big appeal here. Sure I'll probably build some duplicate equipment as time goes but it will be more out of luxury than necessity.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 9, 2017, 12:43 PM

My only best g plans, with your permission is to create an enclosed courtyard with that haunted tower and use the area to breed cows and sheep.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2017, 12:51 PM

Sounds great, you are welcome to make use of my resources too, just as long as you don't use the last amount of anything. Just last night I cleared out the dungeon from the Jawbone tunnel level up, which means the tower and its basement are safe now. We should also notice a decrease in the amount of mob sounds around sea level.

The crossbow has been a great addition, and most of the time it can one shot even an armored mob. I also made a special Rapier (sword) that ignores armor and does quite a bit of DPS. My first task tonight will be making a duplicate of my weapons so you can defend yourself better.

Also, I feel like Marble is becoming the default building block for us, Blaze and Jawbone most likely. Since we can make infinite smooth stone we might want to look at the chisel options within that block to offset the marble a bit.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 9, 2017, 01:05 PM

I was thinking we should connect to jawbones place via the nether. Should be a much shorter walk.

I'm wary of taking resources, but I'll consider it in a pinch. Case in point I need an obsidian pick axe but I didn't see any obsidian in your place.

I tried to convert iron to steel in your coke oven but obviously I'm way off on that.

My plant and seed stock is available to all.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 9, 2017, 01:07 PM

Also andesite is surprisingly hard to come by.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 9, 2017, 02:14 PM

Oh question I keep forgetting to ask: is there an easy way to multiply the amount of items crafted when using a table? Like a plus button or something? In vanilla I'd just click the recipe multiple times.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2017, 04:05 PM

I was thinking we should connect to jawbones place via the nether. Should be a much shorter walk.

I'm wary of taking resources, but I'll consider it in a pinch. Case in point I need an obsidian pick axe but I didn't see any obsidian in your place.

I tried to convert iron to steel in your coke oven but obviously I'm way off on that.

My plant and seed stock is available to all.
Good call on the nether, maybe instead of a rail system in the overworld one in the nether would be slightly more efficient.

I have an Obsidian/Smooth Stone/Cobble Machine, I'll walk you through it in person but the basics are...Cobble is infinite, uses neither water nor lava, Smooth Stone uses a bucket worth of water, but that is being pumped infinitely, Obsidian consumes a bucket of water and a bucket of lava per block, so right now lava is the only bottleneck in that system...but I'm working on it as we speak (need more blaze rods)

You were close-ish with the coke oven. The coke oven turns coal into coal coke, coal coke and iron in the Alloy Smelter makes steel. There are other ways to make steel, 4 in total by my count, but this one was the most accessible.

Oh question I keep forgetting to ask: is there an easy way to multiply the amount of items crafted when using a table? Like a plus button or something? In vanilla I'd just click the recipe multiple times.
When clicking on the item a recipe comes up, if you have the materials in your inventory to craft a little plus sign will be available, holding down shift and clicking the plus will move as much raw materials as you have for the crafting process into the crafting grid, shift click on the output and it should instantly craft as much as you have resources for.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2017, 07:11 PM

The stone type seam to spawn in huge veins. I haven't tried quarrying an andesite one. I'll test the next one i see.
If you shift click in jei it will use all the supplies you have to fill the crafting grid.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 9, 2017, 07:17 PM

The stone type seam to spawn in huge veins. I haven't tried quarrying an andesite one. I'll test the next one i see.
If you shift click in jei it will use all the supplies you have to fill the crafting grid.
I have an andesite quarry I discovered but I have find it again. I think I know where it is.

Thanks for the NEI tip.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 10, 2017, 12:12 AM

Since you need feathers, here's my chicken farm from vanilla, sek.

This is actually on the low side for pop. It got so that when I walked by I'd suck in like 5+ stacks of eggs. Culling were fun, tho. One swipe of the sword would hit like 5 chickens.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2017, 07:19 AM

Theres a mod in the pack so chickens drop feathers passively. Just put a couple on a hopper.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 10, 2017, 03:15 PM

I know I say this every time, but next time we go dungeon crawling: discord voice chat

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2017, 04:10 PM

Yeah I was going to bring up skype but I assume that's the same thing.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2017, 06:35 PM

The twitch app has voice calls build in.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 11, 2017, 12:44 AM

oh. lets test that out tomorrow. since the damn thing has to be open

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 11, 2017, 03:34 PM

Things I’ve stolen from sek so far: 2 diamonds (handsaw) and 4 gold (clock).

Fatty, right now my only complaint is the location of the smeltery. It’s probably the equipment I use the most that I’m not sure I want to make a duplicate of my own.

I’m also planning on expanding my base west as you seem to be honoring the division as you expand and I’d like to reorganize my place and give you better access to my place.

Otherwise, I’ll try to crack out this weekend and finish my kitchen and continue reorganizing my layout as I add new equipment (one if the possibilities: tiny cactus and sugar cane farms).

I have to say trying to use the wikis is an amazing experience. Both fab and feed-the-beast look identical but have different listings and half the time I can’t tell if I’m not finding something because I’m remembering it wrong or I just found it on a different wiki.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 11, 2017, 08:34 PM

Odd, two items that are supposed to be part of Quark don't work – Glass Item Frame and Paint Brush.

The latter can be used on cobblestone and wood, which I'd like to do.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Aug 14, 2017, 11:14 AM

well, I'm back from vacation and back poking around. A few items of note for everyone:
1- Friendly reminder that the 'welcome house' has a fairly complete tinker's kit and a smelter in the "basement" for group use.

2- Further down the basement (y-42) is where I'm hooking up my rail line tunnels. Nether is definitely more efficient transport but, hey, I like rail lines in the main world the decorating isn't fully done but I do have a line to my place. Working on a branch to tunnel to Blaze's next.

3- At the bottom of the safe house is a starter mine. Good place for new entries to do some quick mining down around level y-16 or so.

4- I learned last night that I have an ender dungeon directly under where I setup my main base. With a enderman spawner. Anyone know a good ender grinder setup?

cy

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2017, 05:01 PM

Hey Blaze is there any reason to use AE2 over Refined Storage? RS looks like an older version of AE and the crafting costs are significantly less.

Edit: Just went to login says server is down?

cycl0pse
Senior User
Aug 14, 2017, 07:09 PM

checking...

looks like something crashed the server. rebooting it now and we'll see.

Also, it looks like the modpack upgraded from version 2.91 (current for us) to 3.00. Do we want to make the leap? All clients and the server will need updated.

cy

P.S. Reboot is done and I'm logged in.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2017, 07:16 PM

AE2 is a bit less buggy than RS. There is better flexibility in the AE interfaces and you can make it craft faster but those are more advanced uses. The channels in AE really complicated thing.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 16, 2017, 02:25 PM

A few ideas/comments for the server

1. We should create an ender chest network. Using this we can quickly transfer resources to each other as needed. It also will allow us to fill in gaps: I.e., I’m trying to specialize automating crops and trees. Should someone have a project that requires x amount of birch, I can swap out the wood my process automates and dump the resources in the chest as need be. Another example is if fatty has a piece of equipment you need to use, rather than travel just have him plop the appropriate blocks and dump the end result in the chest when necessary. Someone just a little shy of imperium? Here, have some of mine. Etc., etc.

2. If some of us are specializing we may need more something no one else is using and vice versa. Example: I’d love to find and use essence in my growing. Fatty need rubber wood.

3. Are there an alternatives to levers or buttons? Because damn they ugly.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2017, 05:27 PM

1a. Eventually I think we really should try and do a mega-build wherein everyone on the server contributes, we've never quite gotten that far and we'd need to include our members who don't necessarily log on as often.

1. First off, despite setting off his own nuclear reactor Blaze will be covered on just about anything he needs at all times, such is the way of things. I'm more than happy to expand the automation in the Factory to do some kind of resource delivery system, so when Andi, Jawbone, Cy, etc... run out of something they could be hooked up. Theres also a way that an ender chest can remain stocked with stacks of certain materials at all times. Wood, Coal, Stone, Obsidian, Iron, etc.... That way everyone has a chest they can access in their own base with commonly used crafting materials.

3. Not really as I was going through this yesterday before you logged on. A simple always on/off state is basically a lever, and buttons can be made out of various woods mostly.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Aug 17, 2017, 07:03 PM

<rant> Sigh. So on an unrelated note the latest update of railcraft (the one we are using) does not have switch tracks implemented yet. So no easy switches, so serious routing... nothing. sigh. Back to vanilla cart management. </rant>

There is now a fully functional rail line connecting my place, Blaze's place, and Spawn. It's not all pretty, but you don't have to leave your cart for anything. Just push some buttons at the intersection.

Regarding Sek's comment about about 1a: mega build. All for it. suggestions on what to build?

cy

Forum Links
Forum Rules