Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The AHCA (Trumpcare): What the hell is going on?

The AHCA (Trumpcare): What the hell is going on?
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 19, 2017, 06:54 PM

This bill has been a mystery since the beginning (in various ways), but it's move to the Senate has really taken it to the next level. As always, the outright lies continue:

https://twitter.com/ChadPergram/stat...07437693128708
McConnell on transparency of health care bill: No one is hiding the ball. We've had Gazillions of hearings on this subject.
The Senate has had no hearings.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireSto...-bill-48015512
President Donald Trump told Republican senators Tuesday that the House-passed health care bill he helped revive is "mean" and urged them to craft a version that is "more generous," congressional sources said.
He's not wrong, but...

At a Rose Garden ceremony minutes after the bill's narrow House passage on May 4, Trump called it "a great plan."
The man celebrated it's passing one house of congress like he signed the bill.

Meanwhile, GOP Senators are either in the dark or pretending to be in the dark.
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/statu...93960302325760
Reporter asks what's in Senate health bill, saying public doesn't know.

"Well join the crowd. I'm in the same category," says Orrin Hatch.
What's disingenuous here is that if the senators really cared about making the process public, they could do something about it. The fact that they don't is telling.

I thought this made some good points, as well:
https://newrepublic.com/article/1433...tenment-values
Rather than run draft legislation through an open committee process, Republicans have outsourced the entire deliberation to 13 male senators from 10 states. The Senate GOP advantage in small states is reflected in the working group, and then compounded by the fact that it includes both senators from Wyoming and Utah.
i.e., some of the reddest states there are.

Before, "buh-Democrats ACA":
It ultimately passed on a party-line basis, but only after a lengthy public hearing process in two committees through which senators in both parties were given a say in the final product. Republicans weren’t simply allowed to propose amendments to the legislation—many of their amendments were adopted.

The real question is what they're trying to improve, because they don't seem to be very interested in what anybody has to say, even within the industry.
http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-n...616-story.html
This week, a group of more than 15 patients groups — including the American Heart Assn., the March of Dimes, the American Lung Assn. and the American Diabetes Assn. — asked McConnell’s office to meet with them next week, proposing any time between Friday and June 22.

A representative from McConnell’s office told them staff schedules were too busy, according to representatives of several of the organizations.
There also are rumors the Senate version guts Medicaid even more.

The most confusing part?
The House bill is extremely unpopular, with voters disapproving of the legislation by nearly 4 to 1.

Just 17% of registered voters backed the House bill in a recent nationwide poll, compared with 62% who disapprove of the legislation.

So what is the impetus here? Why are they trying to ram this through? Isn't this political suicide?

*Note this thread is not for relitigating the ACA or how to improve the system. We have another thread for that.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 19, 2017, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
So what is the impetus here? Why are they trying to ram this through? Isn't this political suicide?
Not for a dictator.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 19, 2017, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Not for a dictator.
Oh please. I'm talking congressional elections, anyway.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2017, 04:40 AM

Not for a dictator.
You have zero basis to call him a dictator. Antifa tries this BS too, but he isn't a fascist just because you disagree with his policies.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2017, 05:55 PM

I'm not saying he is a dictator, but I think we all know he'd like to be and as a champion narcissist, I don't think he can always tell the difference between what is and what he wants to be.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 20, 2017, 10:34 PM

I'm not saying he is a dictator, but I think we all know he'd like to be and as a champion narcissist, I don't think he can always tell the difference between what is and what he wants to be.
Alright, shut up, this thread isn't about Trump.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 20, 2017, 10:57 PM

https://twitter.com/toddzwillich/sta...85254108393472
Sen Paul decries healthcare process but informs reporters Dems did "exactly the same thing." Told that's untrue, "I'm not going to debate u"
---

Mike Lee, a member of the Senate health care working group, says in a video he doesn't know what's in the bill and is frustrated w/ process

This is from one of the guys on the 13-man committee for the bill. wat

---

Cruz: If we were debating ACA repeal publicly, ppl would be "grandstanding for the cameras, drawing lines in the sand" & attacking ea. other
Yes, that's how legislating works.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2017, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Alright, shut up, this thread isn't about Trump.
Hillary sux.

andi*pandi
Jun 21, 2017, 12:23 PM

Every thread is about trump. I'm surprised we don't have ads pop up for Trump hotels.

topic:
If we are appalled that only 13 people were having input, then how appalled can we be that even one of those 13 don't know what's going on?

answer: very.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 21, 2017, 12:26 PM

I thought I saved it but there was a Cruz quote on how wonderful and collaborative the process was and I found it equally frightening

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 21, 2017, 12:28 PM

There's lots of quotes going around of hesitant or unhappy GOP senators but none of that means they won't vote for it. Hell, I don't think most of the reps in the House who flipped on the AHCA were able to explain why. And I have to figure whatever they did to whip them there can be done in the senate.

Anyway I believe a draft is supposed to be released tomorrow and vote Tuesday.

andi*pandi
Jun 21, 2017, 12:30 PM

I am clinging to hope of Susan Collins being reasonable and holding them to being reasonable. She at least has figured out that many of her state's citizens are poor, and old, or both, and need health care.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 21, 2017, 12:36 PM

Remember they can afford to lose two senators. Collins is likely one of those two.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 21, 2017, 06:16 PM

The only reason I can come up with that seems remotely reasonable is that the GOP see this as their best chance to reform/cut/gut medicare while everyone is distracted as seeing this as an Obamacare repeal. The flaw in the plan, in my eyes, remains the same – this will affect their constituents and they'll know who did this.

I also suppose giving the rich a tax cut doesn't hurt their motivation.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 22, 2017, 12:32 PM

Did I say Medicare? I meant Medicaid.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 22, 2017, 02:11 PM

Senate bill has retroactive tax cuts.

andi*pandi
Jun 22, 2017, 03:14 PM

Some GOP say it's still not far enough from Obamacare, some don't like what it's doing for medicaid.

Medicaid coverage?
No requirement for insurance to file taxes (hello people using the ER for primary care, driving up insurance costs)
No funding for planned parenthood (hello chongo)

http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/poli...eBN/story.html

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 22, 2017, 03:27 PM

Paul is the only one I could see actually voting against. The rest are just trying to extract some extra concessions. Cruz admits this is about entitlement reform, not healthcare.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 22, 2017, 07:06 PM

The silence from the moderates should terrify their constituents. Their complaints have been half hearted reservations and withholding judgment until the text is complete.

Edit: Trump tweeted he's supportive if the bill, which breaks his campaign promises and will probably be 'meaner' than its House brethren.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 23, 2017, 03:08 PM

Heller the first moderate to lean no. Says Medicaid expansion needs to stay. We'll see if he has the backbone.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 13, 2017, 11:33 AM

McConnell urging moderates to support senate bill because they never intend Medicaid cuts to go into effect. Riiiiiiiight.

Some house Dems have intro'd a fix and in the senate Graham and Cassidy are unveiling their own bill. This just might be dead, thank god.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 16, 2017, 07:09 PM

More what the hell is going on: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b03389bb17c458

Basically the 'barebones' plans the Cruz amendment adds in aren't capable of being counted towards 'continuous coverage' because they're so shitty. That's a bit of a problem.

Also, two insurers came out and basically said Cruz's idea is garbage.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 21, 2017, 07:22 PM

So apparently this thing has some major, major issues that prevent it from being passed under reconciliation.
Anyone here crazy enough to want to ignore the parliamentarian or kill the filibuster to jam this through?
The issues:

reader50
Administrator
Jul 21, 2017, 07:38 PM

This thing isn't dead yet? I told you we needed more holy water.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 21, 2017, 07:44 PM

Trump actually put some effort into reviving it, though it still looked fruitless. Listening to the no's you can tell a few want to say yes, but need to find the cover to do so, so we're not safe until Mitch says we're moving on.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2017, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
This thing isn't dead yet? I told you we needed more holy water.
And a stake.

With ketchup.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2017, 03:48 AM

The Post gossips Scaramucci has a "particularly crude nickname" for Reince.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 2, 2018, 08:51 PM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.997699b1f5d5
Tom Price, Trump's first secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services, said people buying insurance on government-run marketplaces will face higher prices because the tax law repealed the ACA's individual mandate. The mandate had forced most Americans to have health coverage or face a financial penalty.

“There are many, and I’m one of them, who believes that that actually will harm the pool in the exchange market, because you’ll likely have individuals who are younger and healthier not participating in that market, and consequently that drives up the cost for other folks within that market,” Price said at the World Health Care Conference in Washington.
“The individual mandate is one of those things that is actually driving up the cost for the American people in terms of coverage,” Price said on ABC’s “This Week” last summer. “So what we’re trying to do is make it so that Obamacare is no longer harming the patients of this land — no longer driving up costs, no longer making it so that they’ve got coverage but no care.”

andi*pandi
May 3, 2018, 10:25 AM

the spinmeisters did it again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules