Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Multiple Logins for Mail

Multiple Logins for Mail
hanguolaohu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2009, 11:41 AM

Hi,

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to Apple Mail, and I was wondering whether it's possible to have multiple logins. Here is my situation:

I have a small company with 5 employees who need to access their website e-mail using IMAP. We've been using the Horde web client which is horrendously slow and ugly. I would like for each employee to be able to use Mail to login to their e-mail account and then logout once done. This way employees won't be able to read each other's e-mails. I don't want to have different OS X root level login ID's because then my employees won't have access to all the files on the main admin ID. Unless there's a way around that as well. Any info would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Alexander

ibook_steve
Feb 24, 2009, 12:01 PM

I don't understand. You have one computer for you and 5 employees? And we're talking about web mail like Gmail? I think a little network setup information would be helpful here.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2009, 12:10 PM

And how many email addresses? You can have multiple IMAP accounts within Mail, but if you want multiple separate email logins within the same user, you have to use a client like Thunderbird.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

hanguolaohu  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2009, 12:31 PM

Steve, the workers work in shifts on different days. They've been using webmail like Horde as I haven't figured a way to make Mail work for multiple users. I don't really understand what you mean by "network setup information". It's an iMac connected to a Time Capsule router. E-mail is routed via IMAP.

Big Mac: 5 e-mail addresses for 5 employees. I will checkout Thunderbird thanks. I just wish Mail could do this.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2009, 12:42 PM

Yeah, it's a longstanding limitation of Mail. Apparently Apple doesn't want to add any feature that could encourage some people in multi-user environments to rely on just one account and the switching of email account identities. Thunderbird isn't that pretty interface-wise, but it's free and open source.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2009, 12:46 PM

Am I missing the obvious here ?

Why not create 5 separate user accounts, and set up Apple Mail for each of them ?

-t

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2009, 12:53 PM

That's the better choice, but it sounds like the OP doesn't want to do that.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2009, 01:45 PM

I don't want to have different OS X root level login ID's because then my employees won't have access to all the files on the main admin ID.
Uhm, yeah, I guess we should better give the OP some advise on how to set up multiple users and file sharing across users.

As a start, use Sharepoints to create folders accessible by multiple users.

I'm still not clear what he means by "different OS X root level login ID's".
Clearly, you don't want to set up the users as admins.

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2009, 01:48 PM

Anything that's in /Users/Shared will be accessible by all users on a machine, so you can set up five accounts and still have shared data.

Is this a possible solution?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2009, 01:50 PM

I think he meant OS X multiple users and was not referring to root.

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2009, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Anything that's in /Users/Shared will be accessible by all users on a machine, so you can set up five accounts and still have shared data.

Is this a possible solution?
It is also accessible to absolutely everybody else as well. Not very good security for a company, no matter how small it is, and it potentially leaves them liable if a customer's information was stolen from such an accessible location.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2009, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I think he meant OS X multiple users and was not referring to root.
Probably.

So, what's wrong with setting up a shared folder, using Sharepoints to assign the access rights ?

-t

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2009, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by JKT View Post
It is also accessible to absolutely everybody else as well. Not very good security for a company, no matter how small it is, and it potentially leaves them liable if a customer's information was stolen from such an accessible location.
But having some data exposed to all local users is infinitely better than having all data exposed at all times.

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Probably.

So, what's wrong with setting up a shared folder, using Sharepoints to assign the access rights ?

-t
Nothing at all wrong with that, other than the OP's apparent desire not to use multiple users.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2009, 02:16 PM

Nothing at all wrong with that, other than the OP's apparent desire not to use multiple users.
It seems like the OP's hesitation to use multiple users comes from his lack of knowledge how to share data between the users.

-t

hanguolaohu  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2009, 06:00 AM

Wow, I'm happy to come back and see so much effort put into answering my question. Thank you guys!

To clarify the situation, I don't know much about making multiple users and my initial experience trying that made it feel like an entirely new system. But I am open to that now, especially if "/Users/Shared" will allow all users to access those files. One potential problem though is my employees are not very Mac savvy and tend to save files on the desktop, so I guess I'll have to train them to save on the "/Users/Shared" folder, unless there's another workaround. Besides that, I was advised on another forum that I might run into permission issues with files which concerns me as I need those files to be easily accessible for everyone.

In terms of security, I will be the Admin, and anything under "/Users/Shared" will be data deemed to be safe for all users. The only confidential info that I would like to create is a contact database that couldn't be easily copied onto a flash drive or e-mailed to someone else. Would appreciate any advice on that as well.

Thanks again!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 25, 2009, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by hanguolaohu View Post
In terms of security, I will be the Admin, and anything under "/Users/Shared" will be data deemed to be safe for all users.
Yes, but be aware: if the Mac is networked (connected) to other Macs in your company, *ANYONE* could access the data in "/Users/Shared".

If you don't want that, you'd need to set up a folder on your HD and set permissions specifically for your group of users. Sharepoint is a good tool to do that.

Originally Posted by hanguolaohu View Post
The only confidential info that I would like to create is a contact database that couldn't be easily copied onto a flash drive or e-mailed to someone else. Would appreciate any advice on that as well.
So, you want that database only to be accessible to you, not the other users ?
Then just put it into /Users/yourusername/Documents/

If you are thinking about a way to let the other users only read that contact database, but not allow them to copy or email it - sorry, that can't be easily implemented.
As soon someone has read access, he can "do stuff" with the data, like printing, copy&paste, taking screenshots etc...

-t

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 25, 2009, 02:46 PM

He could put the database online, which would offer protection against the copying of individual files that employees need to access.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 25, 2009, 03:20 PM

He could put the database online, which would offer protection against the copying of individual files that employees need to access.
Protection from printing, copy&paste, taking screenshots etc ?

See, this is what I don't get.

The only way that what OP said would make sense is if the database is *NOT* accessible by everyone, but just by himself.

I guess we need more info to understand where he was going with that.

-t

hanguolaohu  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2009, 09:54 PM

Well, I might just keep those contacts on my personal laptop to make life easier. I just assumed there's a way to keep certain databases secure from copying the file to a flash drive or being sent by e-mail. It'll probably be an Address Book file, so I'm not so concerned about screenshots/copy & paste/printing.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 26, 2009, 08:47 AM

The rule in computing is that if a file is made available for reading within a filesystem, it can be copied (unless you use some sort of third party DRM solution). You could disable the USB ports to prevent flash drive copying, but the file could still be sent as an email attachment.

Forum Links
Forum Rules