Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Novell Client 5.1.3 and OS 9.1

Novell Client 5.1.3 and OS 9.1
clayhorste
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2001, 03:25 PM

Has anybody had success with this combo? I upgraded to 9.1 and the Novell client has stopped working. I deleted my preferrences and still no success. Any suggestions could be great.

-clay-

mmcroberts
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2001, 11:52 AM

Exactly the same problem. I installed 9.1 onto my original iBook, a G4 tower, and an original G3 (the ones in the old 9500 cases). Unable to access our Novell tree. The problem appears to be with the Mac IPX control panel--it doesn't want to recognize any of the connection methods (Ethernet II, Ethernet 802.2, etc.)...

[This message has been edited by mmcroberts (edited 01-12-2001).]

clayhorste  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2001, 12:34 PM

I tried again and I made sure that I had deleted all preferences relating to the client. When I set it up again it worked.

-clay-

hmr
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2001, 12:37 PM

I wasn't able to use Netware Client 5.13 with Mac OS 9.0.4 either - I haven't tried it with 9.1.

I'm having great difficulties with the wireless connection here at school. Mac OS seems to drop the connection (AirPort, on a Orinoco/WaveLAN Novell network - same standards). The proxy server always works, but aside from that, my system stops communicating with the server (fails to ping everything but the HTTP proxy). I've asked my system admin to assign me a special ip (instead of using DHCP) but that's all the same.

What's funniest is that this is not an issue when I run Windows 98 in VPC 3.0 (Preferences: Use uniqe IP)

Any ideas?

Heimir.

mmcroberts
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2001, 01:44 PM

I'll be eager to try to this, since Novell access is of very high priority for me... Unfortunately, I won't be back in the office until Tuesday...

Terlau
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2001, 05:46 PM

I had the same problem with both Blue and White G3/350 and G4/MP. After the 9.1 upgrade, the Novell client (5.12 MCLUPD6A) would no longer work. If you go to the MacIPX Control Panel and click on 'Ethernet' you should see a valid IPX network number (ie. not 0x0). If you see '0x0' for your network number, try the following:

1) Delete the file 'MacIPX Preferences'
2) Open the MacIPX Control Panel and double click on 'Ethernet'
3) MANUALLY set your IPX frame type in the window that appears and click on 'OK'
4) You should see a valid IPX network number. If you still see '0x0', switch the interface to AppleTalk and then back to Ethernet by single clicking on these and replying 'OK' to the warning boxes that appear.

hmr
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2001, 10:17 PM

Terlau: Update 5.13 was the Mac OS 9.0 fix. You can get it free at prosoftenc.com.

Heimir.

Terlau
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2001, 04:05 AM

I realize that this is outside the scope of this thread, but I have to correct the person who said that 5.13 client from ProSoft is free. The 5.13 client from ProSoft (www.prosofteng.com./netware.asp) is NOT free. It is presently $89 per seat for the non-educational pricing. Of course this is in addition to the license fee you pay to Novell to use their network operating system. The Windows clients remain free from Novell.

In my opinion, there is no advantage to using the 5.13 ProSoft client over the 5.12 client which Novell developed. 5.12 works well with OS 9.x and it is free from Novell.

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 13, 2001, 07:21 PM

FWIW, I have no troubles with 5.13 and 9.1 or 9.0.4. The above post is correct, do NOT use automatic configuration for frame types.

Scott

mmcroberts
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2001, 11:43 AM

Just tried the fixes recommended above (deleting all Netware/IPX prefs) and am happy to report success.

Forum Links
Forum Rules