Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Incompatibility of Virtual PC 2.1 / Mac OS 9.0

Incompatibility of Virtual PC 2.1 / Mac OS 9.0
mgw2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2004, 10:21 PM

I have a Power Mac G3, as a secondary computer, which was initially set up to work with an earlly version of Virtual PC -- 2.1, along with 8.5 system software, which I subsequently updated to 8.6 to correct a software glitch.

Later on, I installed System 9.0, unaware that it was incompatible with Virtual PC 2.1, and ever since I have not been able to access the Virtual PC end of the machine. (When you do a search, the Virtual program is listed, but you can't get to it.)

In my attempt to use the OS 8.5 disk as a start-up disk in order to see if I could retrieve Virtual PC, I received a message that the computer, installed with 9.0, would not work with it.

Is it possible to remove Mac OS 9.0, and then reinstall the 8.5, in order to be able to retrieve Virtual PC 2.1?

If I decide to get an updated version of Virtual PC, which I realize is now a Microsoft product, rather than Connectix, would it be possible to install it over the old version and then my previous work on Virtual PC--all files and folders-- would reappear?

Any input regarding this "locked up Virtual PC on a PowerMac" problem would be greatly appreciated, including mention of any other forums that might be able to address the question.

MacMatt
Forum Regular
May 31, 2004, 10:52 AM

Just for info...

I have a separate partition with OS 9.2.2 and VPC 2.1.3 and it works very well.

My setup is a G4/466 upgraded with a PowerLogix 1.2GHz CPU.

I have always had VPC on a separate partition and have kept the original installation since first installing it on a 6500/300 several years ago. I have upgraded the OS from the original 8.5 to 8.6 to 9.1 to the current OS 9.2.2. I may have missed the OS 9.0 upgrade and jumped to OS 9.1(which came when I bought OS10).

I have used CCCloner to move the VPC partition from Hard Drive to Hard Drive, as I have used it on several different HD's, and it continues to work better and better as my CPU speed has been increased.

Hope this is helpful,
Matt

finboy
Jun 1, 2004, 06:53 PM

Originally posted by MacMatt:
Just for info...

I have a separate partition with OS 9.2.2 and VPC 2.1.3 and it works very well.

My setup is a G4/466 upgraded with a PowerLogix 1.2GHz CPU.

I have always had VPC on a separate partition and have kept the original installation since first installing it on a 6500/300 several years ago. I have upgraded the OS from the original 8.5 to 8.6 to 9.1 to the current OS 9.2.2. I may have missed the OS 9.0 upgrade and jumped to OS 9.1(which came when I bought OS10).

I have used CCCloner to move the VPC partition from Hard Drive to Hard Drive, as I have used it on several different HD's, and it continues to work better and better as my CPU speed has been increased.

Hope this is helpful,
Matt
Me too. I'm running 2.1.3 -- the key is the update files, which are still out there if you look around. Installation might be a problem under later versions, but I doubt it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules