Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Apple announces iPhone OS 4 event 8th April

Apple announces iPhone OS 4 event 8th April
Atheist
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2010, 12:22 PM

Saw it on engadget.

Think we'll see multi-tasking?

[mods can you please move to the OS X forum?]

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2010, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
Think we'll see multi-tasking?
I'm sure we will. It's the next logical step.

However, it's possible that only the iPad and the next iPhone generation will get real multitasking.

-t

kman42
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2010, 12:33 PM

also needed: printing from ipad and some wireless file sharing, perhaps Back to My Mac

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2010, 01:00 PM

I wonder how soon after the anouncement we'll see the release. Seems kinda quick timing after the iPad release this weekend.
( Last edited by jokell82; Apr 5, 2010 at 01:10 PM. )

All glory to the hypnotoad.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2010, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
I wonder how soon after the Nnouncement we'll see the release. Seems kinda quick timing after the iPad release this weekend.
My guess: it will be introduced with the next generation iPhones, sometime in June.

As always, Apple wants to give the developers time to adjust their apps, so that at the start, stuff is already available.
This would give developers (again) about 2 months.

-t

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2010, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
My guess: it will be introduced with the next generation iPhones, sometime in June.

As always, Apple wants to give the developers time to adjust their apps, so that at the start, stuff is already available.
This would give developers (again) about 2 months.

-t
Except that the rumor was the iPad would launch with OS 4.0, so it wouldn't surprise me if the release comes much sooner than June.

Atheist  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2010, 01:12 PM

I'm sure we will. It's the next logical step.

However, it's possible that only the iPad and the next iPhone generation will get real multitasking.

-t
The 1st gen and 3G phones are definitely too slow but they might make multi-tasking available on the 3GS.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2010, 01:13 PM

Except that the rumor was the iPad would launch with OS 4.0, so it wouldn't surprise me if the release comes much sooner than June.
I never believed that rumor - it doesn't make sense for Apple to suddenly ship a different OS than the developers had to adjust their apps. Has FAIL written all over it.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2010, 01:14 PM

The 1st gen and 3G phones are definitely too slow but they might make multi-tasking available on the 3GS.
Yes, possibly.

-t

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2010, 01:22 PM

I NEED a new iPhone. Here's hoping for an imminent iPhone release. My 3G is too slow, has dirt under the screen, and has a cracked shell.

I just hope I can get the subsidized price early. (I'm not supposed to be able to update it until January under the usual contract upgrade rules.)

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2010, 02:33 PM

I'm eligible for an upgrade, so I wouldn't mind.

But the timing and lack of any rumors of an imminent new iPhone makes me think it's not the likely option.

Plus, why would Apple want to start a brand-new OS w/o any apps available ? That's not how they played it in the past.

-t

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2010, 02:40 PM

I'm thinking April OS announcment, and June iPhone announcement.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2010, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Yes, same here.

-t

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2010, 02:41 PM

I’m going with the majority here. It’ll be available for existing devices the day the next iPhone comes out, which will be sometime in June. At least some features will exclude the first iPhone and iPod touch (and possibly the 3G, since it’s got the original CPU).

I think third-party multitasking is a shoo-in, and of course the giant question is how to make it elegant. They could just allow users to choose which apps get to multitask (just like we get to toggle notifications on a per-app basis). This has the advantage of preventing sloppily-written apps from using CPU/RAM/Network resources (and hence battery) in the background while not doing anything a user cares about. On the other hand, it adds a lot of complexity from the user perspective, and neither on nor off is an ideal default setting for every app.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2010, 02:46 PM

I'm pretty excited. I'm sure it'll support the iPhone 3G, but not the original. But why would the 3G iPod touch be excluded? It has a faster CPU than the 3GS.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2010, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by kman42 View Post
also needed: printing from ipad and some wireless file sharing, perhaps Back to My Mac
Wireless file sharing already works. Check out Dropbox. It's free (up to 2 GB).
•

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2010, 02:52 PM

I also keep thinking they’re going to add some other features to make MobileMe look more attractive. I know the NC data center could just be for growth of the iTunes/App/iBooks stores, but it seems like with all the ways people might share information between touch and desktop apps, it’d be really beautiful if they made an API for syncing arbitrary data in the background via the cloud whenever you make changes. For small changes, it might happen just like the current PIM stuff over MobileMe. Big changes might be a bit more complicated. To ease Apple’s server load, it could do something Back-To-My-Mac-like: give the Mac’s IP address to the iPad and let them sync directly over the internet, but they might want to add a user-configurable limit to the size of changes that get synced automatically.

But think how cool it would be if you bought a song on your iPad at the coffeeshop and it just showed up on your Mac before you even got home. Or you edited an iPhoto album on your Mac and didn’t have to remember to sync it to the iPhone…

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2010, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I'm pretty excited. I'm sure it'll support the iPhone 3G, but not the original. But why would the 3G iPod touch be excluded? It has a faster CPU than the 3GS.
That was unclear, I meant maybe the original touch or the iPhone 3G. I knew at least one of the touches was faster than the first 2 iPhone models, but couldn’t recall the details.

turtle777
Clinically Insane

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
It would be nice if the iPad /iPhone could just access Bonjour-advertised local shared volumes.

But, that would mean having to deal with folder structures, which isn't likely to be introduced on the iPad / iPhone.

-t

Simon
Posting Junkie

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Sounds just right.

I definitely need to update my 3G this summer. Like you, mine has some dust under the glass and I have a small crack on the back bottom. I have also completely filled up the 16GB and have started leaving music at home so I can fit mission-critical stuff. I can't wait for a snappy 32 GB iPhone and a compass (augmented reality apps).

I was hoping the next iPhone might come 4G enabled, but with the state of 4G adoption in the US that seems to be something we won't see until the 5th generation arrives. Shame really. The town I live in right now is getting 4G (LTE, not Wimax) by summer.

I'm not too keen on multitasking considering the possible cost (battery life, RAM, CPU). The only thing I'm missing right now is background notification for Skype. If multitasking takes care of that then fine by me. I am looking forward to a more snappy interface. The 3GS is already a lot better so I guess the 4th gen iPhone will be much nicer to use in that respect than my old 3G.
•

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2010, 02:58 PM

I think the idea is pervasive and consistent wireless file sharing. As in, as long as the touch device and desktop machine are on the same network, you can send a file to the touch device without plugging it in or having a specific app running. That would be pretty friggin’ sweet.

kman42
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2010, 03:06 PM

It would be nice if the iPad /iPhone could just access Bonjour-advertised local shared volumes.

But, that would mean having to deal with folder structures, which isn't likely to be introduced on the iPad / iPhone.

-t
Exactly. Dropbox is nice, but no better than an iDisk: they both require that you planned ahead and transferred your document from your computer to the cloud.

I think Apple could implement wireless file sharing in a way that doesn't require a visible file system on the iPad. When you are in Pages and choose to open a file, it gives you the locally stored files and then gives you a choice to browse all local Bonjour machines (and Back to My Mac machines). You then just get a column view Finder-type window that only shows you folders and Pages-friendly documents. Keynote would just show you presentations, Numbers would just show you spreadsheets. They could open the API to third-party apps as well. It would be simple and very convenient.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2010, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
I think the idea is pervasive and consistent wireless file sharing. As in, as long as the touch device and desktop machine are on the same network, you can send a file to the touch device without plugging it in or having a specific app running. That would be pretty friggin’ sweet.
On the iPhone it would likely always involve an app running. Apple could implement SMP/AFP browsing for Bonjour shares. But I rather doubt they would want to implement a FS viewer on the iPhone making such an app rather unlikely.

Meanwhile Dropbox is quasi-instantaneous and it doesn't require any special login procedure. When I drag something to my Dropbox folder it's pretty much immediately available on my iPhone. Sure, it has to be my Dropbox folder, but in principle that's no different than a SMB/AFP share.

Ultimately because the iPhone doesn't have a user-accessible FS, mounting shares will simply not be part of Apple's playbook.
•

kman42
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2010, 03:08 PM

Close, but I don't want to SEND a file to the touch device. I want to PULL files to the touch device. If you have to physically access the computer, it defeats the purpose as you can already transfer files if you are sitting in front of the computer. It should be that you can access the computer from the device, whether you are on the same local network or using Back to My Mac.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2010, 03:11 PM

I think Apple could implement wireless file sharing in a way that doesn't require a visible file system on the iPad. When you are in Pages and choose to open a file, it gives you the locally stored files and then gives you a choice to browse all local Bonjour machines (and Back to My Mac machines). You then just get a column view Finder-type window that only shows you folders and Pages-friendly documents. Keynote would just show you presentations, Numbers would just show you spreadsheets. They could open the API to third-party apps as well. It would be simple and very convenient.
That's a nice idea, but it goes against pushing people towards iWork.com for that sort of Mac-iPad sharing.
•

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2010, 03:13 PM

Close, but I don't want to SEND a file to the touch device. I want to PULL files to the touch device. If you have to physically access the computer, it defeats the purpose as you can already transfer files if you are sitting in front of the computer. It should be that you can access the computer from the device, whether you are on the same local network or using Back to My Mac.
You could use a VNC app to move a missing file on the Mac to the Dropbox folder. Obviously this is not a nice as a true PULL, but it does work around Apple's limitations.
•

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2010, 03:19 PM

That was unclear, I meant maybe the original touch or the iPhone 3G. I knew at least one of the touches was faster than the first 2 iPhone models, but couldn’t recall the details.
Okay, I gotcha.

kman42
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2010, 05:50 PM

That's a nice idea, but it goes against pushing people towards iWork.com for that sort of Mac-iPad sharing.
I hope iWork.com isn't their only solution. It also involves planning ahead and transferring files from your computer to the website. It just seems like a silly extra step given that they already have the technology to do it in a simpler way (Bonjour, Back to My Mac).

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2010, 05:15 AM

I hear you loud and clear, but I have my doubts if Steve agrees with us on this one.
•

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2010, 06:24 AM

I have a sneaking feeling this will be the best update yet:

Features (confirmed by a friend that works in an Apple Store):get your hand off it, i'm on joking
Multitasking for 3rd party apps, but within a certain no of cpu cycles and strict memory requirements
optional unified inbox (sms, mms, mail)
unread messages displayed on lock screen
wallpaper on springboard
Turn by turn on maps, possibly augmented reality tied into maps

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2010, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
I have a sneaking feeling this will be the best update yet:

Features (confirmed by a friend that works in an Apple Store):get your hand off it, i'm on joking
Multitasking for 3rd party apps, but within a certain no of cpu cycles and strict memory requirements
optional unified inbox (sms, mms, mail)
unread messages displayed on lock screen
wallpaper on springboard
Turn by turn on maps, possibly augmented reality tied into maps
The people that work in the apple store have no advanced knowledge of anything. Your friend got all of those from rumor sites.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2010, 07:00 AM

The people that work in the apple store have no advanced knowledge of anything. Your friend got all of those from rumor sites.
QFT.

-t

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2010, 07:12 AM

Actually they happen to be quite senior (branch Manager), so it's unlikely they wouldn't know this.
oh my god, I can't believe you people are eating this crap up.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2010, 07:14 AM

What are you ? A trollmonkey ?

-t

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2010, 07:44 AM

sorry, i'm in a cheeky mood today, but my guess for features still stands.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2010, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
sorry, i'm in a cheeky mood today, but my guess for features still stands.
It is the humidity here my friend.

kenna
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2010, 09:00 AM

Is this event about 4 hours away now?

If someone could post the actual amount of hours we are away, that'd be helpful. I'm overseas.

Looking forward to the announcement.
MacBook Pro 17" 2.2 GHz quad-core, 2x4GB 1333MHz RAM, 750GB Hard Drive, Intel HD Graphics 3000,
AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5, Mid 2011

MacBook Air 13" 1.7 GHz dual-core Intel i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB Flash Storage, Intel HD Graphics 3000, Mid 2011
iPhone 4 32 GB, Mid 2010

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2010, 09:34 AM

4 hours from the time you posted, yes.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2010, 09:52 AM

Lots of rumors about iAd. Makes sense in light of Apple’s purchase of Quattro. I’m sure a lot of developers would love it, since users seem to want everything to be free, or at least under $5 on the App Store. If you’re going to get paid through Apple for your apps or updates anyway, may as well have an account with them for the advertising.

I think if they do announce an API for their ad platform, they’ll need to balance it out with more than one announcement that end users will be excited about. App Store shoppers may accept that ads can help keep prices low, but they’re not going to be thrilled to hear about it.

I really think Apple should push more MobileMe integration with the next OS. They’ve got a huge head start in the smartphone and new touchscreen tablet markets, but I think Tim O’Reilly had a great point in the NYT: services are going to be really important in keeping people using and buying your stuff. Hell, I think they should treat MobileMe as a bit of a loss leader to sell hardware, like the iTMS originally was (I have a feeling Apple’s not losing money on the App Store). Give away 6 months or a year of MobileMe with every iPhone OS device, make it seem essential to operating the thing, and make it $50/year thereafter.

Atheist  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2010, 10:07 AM

Hell, I think they should treat MobileMe as a bit of a loss leader to sell hardware, like the iTMS originally was (I have a feeling Apple’s not losing money on the App Store). Give away 6 months or a year of MobileMe with every iPhone OS device, make it seem essential to operating the thing, and make it $50/year thereafter.
I agree wholeheartedly. MobileMe is a great service but way overpriced. They don't give you much of an incentive to subscribe.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2010, 10:38 AM

I agree wholeheartedly. MobileMe is a great service but way overpriced. They don't give you much of an incentive to subscribe.
I never pay more than $60/year, which is only $5 per month. I don't think it's overpriced, but I wouldn't argue with it being cheaper either.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2010, 01:17 PM

No comments?

Bluetooth keyboards and multitasking so far.

Hells yeah!

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2010, 01:20 PM

MULTITASKING! Sweeeeeet. Me wants NOW. And it looks like it is perfectly implemented to boot.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 8, 2010, 01:22 PM

BOOO Multitasking!!

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2010, 01:24 PM

I wonder when multitasking is going to hit the iPad and why they didn't announce it sooner.

EDIT: I guess now CNN can run 7 front page stories on how multi-tasking is coming to the iPad...

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2010, 01:26 PM

Activate multitouch with double-click home. I called it.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2010, 01:27 PM

7 Multitasking Services available to developers:

1) BACKGROUND AUDIO - yes, that means we can now stream Pandora stations while playing a game. Keeps playing when you lock the screen (Took the Pandora developers only one day to make it background aware)

2) VoIP - yes, you can now run VoIP apps IN THE BACKGROUND. You can receive Skype calls with the phone locked Skype call stays open and tappable at the top of the screen

More to come...

All information posted here is essentially copied and pasted from MacLife Live Feed
( Last edited by Mrjinglesusa; Apr 8, 2010 at 01:40 PM. )

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2010, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I wonder when multitasking is going to hit the iPad and why they didn't announce it sooner.

EDIT: I guess now CNN can run 7 front page stories on how multi-tasking is coming to the iPad...

Same time as the iPhone 4.0 software I'm certain. Summer 2010.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2010, 01:30 PM

This "seven services" looks like a great way to handle background tasks.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2010, 01:36 PM

Folders! It's the thing of the future!
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Forum Links
Forum Rules