Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Help with an old Powerlogix card

Help with an old Powerlogix card
deboerjo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2005, 05:14 PM

I need some help with some old Powerlogix cards I've recently run across in some old Power Computing PowerCenters I picked up for next to nothing just to play with. The previous owner has them overclcoked like crazy and they aren't stable as a result. They're rated at 266MHz and clocked at 360+. No markings to indicate proper settings and the Powerlogix support pages don't have any information. All I need is the table of switch settings so I can set bus speed and clock multiplier to something more reasonable.

Here's the skinny on the cards:
Powerlogix G3 upgrade card for PCI Powermacs (PCI Processor slot)
No clear markings to indicate model number, just the following:
- 1997 993-G3-TQFP Rev-0 on the component side
- 7503 copyright Powerlogix 0699 on an IC on the component side
- TQFP 266/133/512k on the backside

There are three rotary switches marked SW1, SW5, and SW3 which each have settings 0-F (hex). Current settings on one of them are 9 2 A which corresponds to 361MHz on a 54MHz FSB.

Does anybody have any information about these cards? I'd like to set up one of these machines as a MacOS Classic gaming box for some old Mac games.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 31, 2005, 08:29 PM

I'm also looking for information/settings on an older PowerForce PCI upgrade I've got laying around. PL's own support area is next to worthless for anything that isn't currently being sold. My scouring of AYM's site and Google searches aren't helping either.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

deboerjo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2005, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
I'm also looking for information/settings on an older PowerForce PCI upgrade I've got laying around. PL's own support area is next to worthless for anything that isn't currently being sold. My scouring of AYM's site and Google searches aren't helping either.
Is that what mine are you think? PowerForce?

EDIT: never mind, I just realized nearly their entire product line is called "PowerForce"
One interesting note, though, the PowerForce G3s depicted on everymac.com is a picture of the cards I have. However, I think everymac has most of their photos wrong; I had a 350MHz Powerlogix card I bought for my 8600 many years ago, and it looked nothing like this; it was only about as wide as the connector edge, and had a set of DIP switches for speed settings rather than the rotary switches.

( Last edited by deboerjo; May 31, 2005 at 10:13 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules