Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Help with iMac issues, please?

Help with iMac issues, please?
deboerjo
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 27, 2004, 12:29 AM

I'm baffled. I have an iMac I'm working on for someone, and it keeps booting to an OpenFirmware prompt with the error "bootr - uknown word". Upon investigation of OpenFirmware settings, I discover that the boot-command setting is set to "0 bootr" instead of the proper mac-boot. After setting the boot-command variable to the proper setting and typing mac-boot (or reset-all) the system to boots properly. However, powering off and turning it back on again, and the NVRAM is back to having boot-command set to "0 bootr"!! It's like I can't change it. I've tried with the setenv command in OpenFirmware and with the nvram command in the terminal and even though after setting it I read it and it's set properly, after a power off it's back to the old "0 bootr" value.

It also has another (possibly related??) problem; Quicktime videos have corrupted color; videos play back in black and white, with bands of red, yellow, green, or blue appearing and dissapearing. All videos do this, it's not an issue of corrupted files, it's a problem of corrupted Quicktime, OS, or hardware.

It's a rev A 233MHz tray-loading iMac, with ATI Rage IIC video chip, upgrade to 6MB of RAM. Running MacOS 10.3.5. It's a fresh install of the OS, though the problems did not appear right away. The system was running OS 9, I upgraded the RAM, VRAM and hard drive (to 6GB) and installed OS X. It was running fine for a day or two and then both problems appeared almost simultaneously (first the boot to firmware problem, and then maybe 6 or 7 boots later I noticed the corrupted video problem).

Anybody have any ideas?

Detrius
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2004, 05:58 PM

Does it have the latest firmware installed? The latest firmware for that machine is v1.2 and you can get it on Apple's site. You will need to be booted into OS 9 to do this.

Other ideas... reset the CUDA. You will have to pull out the can--it's on the logic board.

Also, in OF:

reset-nvram
set-defaults
reset-all

You may also have a bad logic board. If you can get your hands on a version of MacTest Pro that runs on that machine, give it a shot.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules