Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Problems with Powerbook and How to prepare it for Apple repair engineers?

Problems with Powerbook and How to prepare it for Apple repair engineers?
onlyone-jc
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2006, 10:08 AM

What to do?

I have a few issues with my last gen 17" Powerbook.

From the start my display has been physically out of line by a millimetre or two, and also from the start, I have had a dip in the outer plastic where the CD drive is, in which revealing the edging of the casing at the palm-rest.

The reason I haven't had these issues looked at by Apple any sooner, is that I haven't been able to afford not to have my computer with me, due to an intense amount of college work.

Recently, I have started to see black marks appear at the right palm-rest area. I'm not sure whether or not the aluminium is painted, and this is it wearing off, or whether this is a direct affect to the aluminium itself.

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/8562/pblq9.jpg

Also, just yesterday, I have encountered the infamous headphone socket issue, where it is stuck on an optical output. I have a red light shining constantly out of it. I've tried the usual plugging and un-plugging proceedure, but have had no joy.

I've also lost around 300mAh of battery capacity within 9 months through around 170-180 charge cycles. I'm not sure if this is normal or what-not.

I have around 3 months of my first-year warranty left, so will all of these issues be covered under warranty?

If so, how do I prepare my Powerbook for repair?
- Do I need to remove all my necessary files?
- Do I need to take it in its original box, or do they prefare just the Powerbook itself?
- What kind of time period can I expect the entire proceedure to take?

Thank you for your time,
onlyone-jc.

onlyone-jc  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2006, 10:57 AM

I also forgot to include, that my track-pad surface sometimes raises a little bit around the upper-right edge. If I push it back down, it will stay there for an hour or two, and then eventually raise itself back up.

I have so many little issues with this thing, it's just silly.

Any thoughts/comments on my questions/situation?

Thank you for your time,
onlyone-jc.

kylemacr
Oct 23, 2006, 02:16 PM

- Back up all your important files. There is a chance you'll get the computer back with all the data erased. Don't take chances.

- That said, you don't need to delete anything from the computer. In my experiences, I have always gotten it back as I sent it in, but you never know.

- Where are you taking it? You should be okay just taking it in your normal case. Original box is not an issue. If they send it off, they put it in a special box designed for the powerbook and will not want your case.

- Time period is a great question. Expect a good week. It could take less or more time, but if you expect a week then you won't be disappointed if it really does take a week .

onlyone-jc  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2006, 02:43 PM

Thanks for your reply, kylemacr. I really appreciate the input!

I will give my local Apple store a phone call sometime later this week and arrange to take it in for a repair.

Any other comments on my issues, and/or comments on experiences with Apple repairs, what's covered, what's not covered, etc are very much welcome!

Thanks again,
onlyone-jc.

kylemacr
Oct 23, 2006, 03:25 PM

Just a thought - but you may be better off calling Apple Care and having them send you a box. They overnight ship it to you, and then you can call DHL to pick it up from your house and overnight ship it back to Apple. In my experiences, the Apple Store doesn't ship it out that promptly and you lose a day or two.

onlyone-jc  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2006, 05:56 PM

That may be convenient, actually. I suppose Apple will foot the bill for DHL?

Thanks again,
onlyone-jc.

kylemacr
Oct 23, 2006, 07:13 PM

Yup, they pay both ways!

onlyone-jc  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2006, 09:18 AM

Great, thanks for letting me know, kylemacr!

onlyone-jc.

jasonv1
Oct 24, 2006, 11:04 AM

The best part is you might even get "extras" when you send it in. I've heard stories of case parts being replaced wo asking for it, etc.
-Formerly: Mac Plus, PowerMac 8100, Orange Clamshell iBook, G3 B@W, G3 900 iBook, G4 eMac, G5 1.8 Dually, G5 2.0 Dually, G4 iBook, G4 Mac Mini, MBP Rev1 2.0.

-Current: MBP Core 2 Duo

-If I can sneak it in the house: Mac Pro (any will do)

onlyone-jc  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2006, 06:44 PM

Heh, let's hope for some of them then! To be honest, I'm praying they can't be bothered fixing it, and just give me a brand new MacBook Pro! heh...

Forum Links
Forum Rules