Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Audio connector - is TRS compatible with TRRS?

Audio connector - is TRS compatible with TRRS?
jwolfeld
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2010, 09:25 PM

I don't have an iPhone, but I have a Lenovo laptop which has the same kind of audio jack as an iPhone: 4 conductor, tip-ring-ring-sleeve (TRRS) style. I would like to buy an over-ear MONO headset with boom microphone for it, but those devices usually have 3 conductor TRS style plugs. Are they nevertheless compatible? I worry that the sleeve will short-circuit the left and right ear conductors to each other, or will short-circuit it to ground.

Do iPhone users who want an over-ear mono headset microphone have to buy something specially iPhone compatible, or will one designed for a laptop work as well?

Thanks.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2010, 02:04 AM

The sleeve will short-circuit the mic.

Left and right phones will work fine.

Having somebody solder an adapter to make the mic work and kill one side of audio is trivial, though.

jwolfeld  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2010, 05:01 PM

Thanks. I found a great blog which shows the pinout for this plug: iPhone Headset Plug | GeekSpeak
I can now clearly see why the mic will be shorted out, as you say. Both Monster and HeadsetBuddy offer adapters which tap off the microphone conductor onto a separate jack.

However, even though you indicated that the left and right phones will work fine, I'm still unsure about them. I found this quote in the TRS Connector entry on Wikipedia: "However, grounding one channel may also be dangerous to the equipment if the result is to short circuit the output of the right channel amplifier." This is what I'm afraid of. I guess what I really need to build is a TRRS plug to TRS jack adapter, wired like this:

Left: Plug tip to Jack tip
Right: Plug Ring A to nothing
Ground: Plug Ring B to Jack Ring
Mic: Plug Sleeve to Jack Sleeve

Does that make sense? Or am I worrying too much?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2010, 05:04 PM

The phones will work fine. Tip and ring are left and right, respectively, and have been for forty years.

jwolfeld  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2010, 01:03 PM

Trying to figure out why I don't seem to be able to understand your answers... Did you miss the fact that I'm using a MONO headset? There is no distinct left and right channel on the plug from a mono headset. If I'm not mistaken, the plug has ground on the first (and only) ring. That will ground the right output channel, won't it?

Phileas
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2010, 11:54 AM

All the cable adapters you'll ever need: http://kvconnection.com
This is the page you're looking for: http://www.kvconnection.com/iPhone-Adapters-s/8388.htm

We frequently use our iPhones to shoot video, to use external mikes you'll need an adapter.

jwolfeld  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2010, 02:00 AM

Thanks, Phileas. Is that your site? You're right, it has really everything I'll ever need. I believe this one is exactly what I'm looking for:
2.5 mm TRS headset to iPhone adapter - 3.5mm 4 conductor TRRS Male to 2.5mm TRS Female

The price is a bit steep, though, so I'm going to test my (ancient) soldering skills first. If it doesn't work, I'll be back.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2010, 04:20 AM

No. 2.5 mm jacks are those stupid miniature jacks that showed up on a couple cellphones, and nowhere else.

jwolfeld  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2010, 11:20 PM

True, but 2.5mm to 3.5mm TRS adapters are easy to come by, and the mono headset I have just happens to have one of those stupid 2.5mm plugs on it :-).

Forum Links
Forum Rules