Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > iCloud question

iCloud question
steve666
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 6, 2016, 04:42 PM

Hey all,

I have been having a strange issue of wi-fi turning itself on by itself, even when I disable it completely in system preferences.
I have a feeling it could be iCloud related so I went to turn off iCloud and I got a warning that all my files on my computer will get erased.
Why would this be, isn't iCloud supposed to just mirror what I have on my computer?
I didn't do it since that spooked me, last thing I want is for all my passwords and bookmarks to be erased.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Mar 6, 2016, 06:05 PM

Yeah, you don't want to do that.

So, this is more of a Wi-Fi question?

steve666  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 6, 2016, 06:34 PM

Both.
Have you ever heard of wi-fi turning itself on by itself?
With iCloud I had no idea it would affect my system if I decided not to use it anymore. That's a bummer.

andi*pandi
Mar 7, 2016, 01:13 PM

That's news to me as well.

steve666  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 7, 2016, 02:11 PM

Try turning off iCloud and see if you get that message too.
I think it's kind of odd that any files should get affected by turning it off, makes no sense to me

Thorzdad
Mar 7, 2016, 07:53 PM

I've seen a similar message in iOS on my iPad when I attempt to sign out from iCloud. Tapping "Sign Out" gives you a message that says "Deleting this account will remove its data from your iPad" Apparently, sign-out = delete. Obviously, I cancel the sign-out. It definitely makes it sound as if it will delete your files on your device. If they actually mean only data for the iCloud account, and not music files and stuff, then they need to word the message a bit more clearly.

steve666  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 7, 2016, 08:26 PM

They sure do. I canceled the sign out as well. Sorry I ever signed up in the first place but figured it would be a good way to save all my passwords and safari bookmarks other than putting them on a thumbdrive which I had been doing beforehand.

Forum Links
Forum Rules